A bit late now for a config discussion, but whatev

Post Date: 2010-02-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: A bit late now for a config discussion, but whatev
    Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 10:18pm
Hello forumers of Digital Storm. Unfortunately for me, I never even knew there was a forum until many months after my purchase xD Anyways, here's my system specs, heh, at least can I get some info if I made the right choice?

(All stats are as ordered. Anything with a *DIY underneath it means I upgraded it, and the following part is what I upgraded it to.)

Chassis - 1050i/Silverstone Raven RV01 (Original Raven)
Processor - Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66 Ghz (DSO Overclocked to 3.33 Ghz)
Mobo - XFX X58i 3x SLI
RAM - 6GB 1333Mhz Mushkin (DSO Overclocked to 1337Mhz)
Power Supply - 650W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Capable)
HDD Set 1 - 150GB WD Velociraptor @ 10k RPM
Optical Drive - DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Write 20x, CD-Write 48x)
*DIY - Optical Drive 2 - DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (Old, PATA/IDE Based)
Network - Killer Xeno Pro NIC
Graphics - Dual E-GeForce 9600 GTs w/SLI enabled (DSO Overclocked to 695 Core, 1723 Shader, 949 Mem)
Sound - Integrated Mobo
Cooling - Stock Heatsink + Fan
Airflow - Zalman Performance Fans + Corsair Memory Airflow Fan included with RAM overclock
*DIY - Swap out Zalman 120mms with Silverstone FN121-BL LED Fans. 1200 RPM, 53 CFM.
*DIY - Swap out factory 180mms with Silverstone FN181-BL LED Fans. 700 RPM , 100 CFM.
*DIY - Install Silverstone FP33 Manual Fan Controller for noisy Corsair memory fan, and both 120mm LED fans.
Windows OS - Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 (32-bit)
*DIY - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Final Order Price = ~$2300

Any pointers on what I made a mistake on? The mobo I already know I want to swap out, preferably an auto-overclocking Intel one. I'm not too fond of this one now, and the PCI-E 1x slot is fried anyways.

Edited by ablahblah - 27 Feb 2010 at 10:23pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 11:42pm
I would change the case.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 2:15pm
A
Aww, really? What's wrong with the raven rv01 though?
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Monstromo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Monstromo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 5:38pm
If your mobo is fried (even just a secondary slot) then you should contact tech support and get warranty service right away.  Ask them if they can swap it with a better mobo.  They have done that for me at no additional cost.

You case is okay.  You already swapped what is generally an issue with that case, the factory installed fans.

What I would do is drop SLI and upgrade the GPU to a single GPU solution.  Depending on your monitor resolution.  If you are running at 1920X1080 a 5850 is perfect.  However, you could even get a 5830 as they just came out.  I need more information like your resolution and your gaming habits, what you play, like Crysis and how important it is to you to crank the visuals. However, some would say that you already have the 9600 and with SLI you can still crank the visuals.  But I am not a fan of SLI or crossfire and I would like the DX11 capability.

I like the raptor drive, I have two of those 150's.  You mention only one so it seems like you don't have very much space.  I would add another hard drive, a 1TB 7200RPM w/ 32mb cache.  A Seagate is fine.  Run the OS off the raptor.

Edited by Monstromo - 28 Feb 2010 at 5:40pm
Pro Case 850W Green Cathode
Intel Quad Q6600
790i Mobo
4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
260 216 OC Video Card
150/150GB 10k Raptor RAID
X-Fi Fatal1ty
Vista 64Bit Ultimate
22" Samsung
Herniter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Herniter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by ablahblah

Hello forumers of Digital Storm. Unfortunately for me, I never even knew there was a forum until many months after my purchase xD Anyways, here's my system specs, heh, at least can I get some info if I made the right choice?

(All stats are as ordered. Anything with a *DIY underneath it means I upgraded it, and the following part is what I upgraded it to.)

Chassis - 1050i/Silverstone Raven RV01 (Original Raven)
Processor - Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66 Ghz (DSO Overclocked to 3.33 Ghz)
Mobo - XFX X58i 3x SLI
RAM - 6GB 1333Mhz Mushkin (DSO Overclocked to 1337Mhz)
Power Supply - 650W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Capable)
HDD Set 1 - 150GB WD Velociraptor @ 10k RPM
Optical Drive - DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Write 20x, CD-Write 48x)
*DIY - Optical Drive 2 - DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (Old, PATA/IDE Based)
Network - Killer Xeno Pro NIC
Graphics - Dual E-GeForce 9600 GTs w/SLI enabled (DSO Overclocked to 695 Core, 1723 Shader, 949 Mem)
Sound - Integrated Mobo
Cooling - Stock Heatsink + Fan
Airflow - Zalman Performance Fans + Corsair Memory Airflow Fan included with RAM overclock
*DIY - Swap out Zalman 120mms with Silverstone FN121-BL LED Fans. 1200 RPM, 53 CFM.
*DIY - Swap out factory 180mms with Silverstone FN181-BL LED Fans. 700 RPM , 100 CFM.
*DIY - Install Silverstone FP33 Manual Fan Controller for noisy Corsair memory fan, and both 120mm LED fans.
Windows OS - Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 (32-bit)
*DIY - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Final Order Price = ~$2300

Any pointers on what I made a mistake on? The mobo I already know I want to swap out, preferably an auto-overclocking Intel one. I'm not too fond of this one now, and the PCI-E 1x slot is fried anyways.

Would have gone with 1 OC 260gtx > 9600
Swapped chassis fans/upgrades for a bigger CPU cooler
Corsair memory > DS memory

But that's just me, if your computer should still be able to run most games at med-high/high settings at 1680x1050.  If you do send your computer into DS to get the MB fixed I'm sure some people could help you with "upgrades".

As for what I would upgrade now:

Nothing

Your rig is just fine for now with the exception of the fried PCI slot.  I'd sit on it for a year if you're happy with its current gaming performance.  Upgrade the Video card in a year or so if you're unhappy with its performance, if you aren't happy at that point get a better CPU cooler and OC it higher. 

Edited by Herniter - 28 Feb 2010 at 8:02pm
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 8:00pm
At the moment, it's running Borderlands perfectly fine at 1920x1080, with the exception of Ambient Occlusion turned off. With it on, FPS drops to 40, otherwise stable at ~60. Preferably, I like to game with maxed out settings, my main monitor runs at 1920x1080.

Yep, i know already 150GB is too puny xD. I'm sitting on it for now until Sandforce SSD controllers come out, though. Yes i know that SSD's might have horrible write times, but what I plan to do is to swap that HDD out back and forth between a future laptop. Therefore, I won't be internet or cloning dependant on having my files "backed up" all the time on my laptop Cool

Hmm, a ATI card, eh? I haven't had much experience with ATI yet, as being completely fresh to the gaming computing world I knew only of nVidia at the time xD. Any other ATI or nVidia single card suggestions? I could use the extra PCI-E slot.

The motherboard I was gonna swap out with DSO at the time, but it's a big pain in the butt because the case doesn't have a removable mobo slot. And I have a non-modular PSU. I'll just wait until Gulftown CPUs and USB 3.0 mobos hit, then I'll swap out.

Basically, medium grade computer waiting for higher-grade, cheaper stuff to come out.

Edited by ablahblah - 01 Mar 2010 at 8:01pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply