FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Build For Audio Production?

Post Date: 2019-11-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ProjectTrinity View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ProjectTrinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: A Build For Audio Production?
    Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 9:36am
Greetings, everyone! Long story short, my computer of seven years is angry and upset at all the music creating and rendering I had it do when it thought it was just going to play video games. So I'm currently here wondering about a potential purchase that will elevate my capabilities with composing larger pieces of music far sooner!

Budget:
$3000. We don't need any accessories.

Expectations:
Loading music sampling libraries faster without being hit with limitations so soon. Gaming is secondary and very much an after thought these days. Especially since my current computer plays games just fine right now. (AMD Radeon 7970)

Usage:
For context, I currently have a traditional harddrive that takes over 3 minutes to load a single instance of the higher quality instruments. (The music libraries are quite LARGE.) Load three or four more of them and the computer will slow down substantially. I need the SSD drives since they're known for reducing load times to 1 mere second and the 64gigs of RAM to prevent the computer from becoming overwhelmed like my 16gigs of RAM currently does to my current computer.

Special Needs:
So my question is, the configuration (In the saved ticket area) I have says 64gigs of RAM, but I'm too new at computers to confidently know for sure if the motherboard will support 8 sticks of memory. I ask because it seemed, at a glance, that most only support 4, and the information on my selection didn't exactly suggest it had space for more, either. That's the biggest question I have at the moment.

Saved Ticket #: 2716079

Specifications:
Open to hear recommended specs!

Edited by ProjectTrinity - 19 Nov 2019 at 9:45am
Thanks for reading~!
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 5:03pm
This should be alot quicker with the 2 x M.2 NVME drives! That and the 64 GB Vengeance RAM and the Ryzen 9 3900X 12 core CPU should make for a much more pleasant audio encoding session.

The AMD 570X chipset boards only support 2 channel memory so there are 4 RAM slots.   Ignore the description in the configurator...
Your 64 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM kit will be 4 x 16 GB or 2 X 32 GB...Have to ask DS if you want it done with 2 sticks or 4.

I do suggest a couple changes.

1) You are using an entry level budget motherboard, and that does matter... especially for features like audio.

A better motherboard choice would be the Asus Prime 570X Pro or the Asus ROG Strix-E as they both use a better full featured Realtec S1220A Audio Codec. Those boards also include M.2 Drive heatsinks to keep those two fast M.2 drives cooler, and the Strix board also includes on-board WiFi if you need it.

2) You are also using an entry level GPU.   If the 7 yr old rig goes down on you, you sure could do better by selecting a stronger RTX 2060 Super or solid midrange 2070 Super 8 GB VRAM video card and have it all well covered for a while longer.

3) The Corsair AIO no maintenence CPU coolers are better than the DS branded models and have longer factory warranties. The DS parts only carry a 1 yr warranty.

See what you think......
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 4:23am
+1 for a stronger mobo and a Corsair all-in-one.

If you want to keep it light on the GPU for the budget, I still recommend you consider the 1660 Ti. At $45 more, it delivers 20% more performance, and is the best budget option for 1080p. The RTX 2060 will kill at 1080p and be decent at 1440p. The 2070 is the best price/performance pick for 1440p.

This GPU cycle is beginning to age, and you would not do too poorly to go budget and see what you actually require when the next gen delivers more performance. Agree everything else is killer for your purpose. My take.
ProjectTrinity View Drop Down

Quote ProjectTrinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by HockeyBuck & Cratae

==Awesome Suggestions Here==

Many thanks for the help and suggestion! I cut down the cost by slowing down shipping speed, and decided to avoid the trouble with the RAM by getting the 16gb cards instead. Appreciate it! Definitely want this to be one of the best updates possible for audio production!
Thanks for reading~!
 Post Reply Post Reply