Post Date: 2008-06-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ChrisB View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ChrisB Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: A confortable PC
    Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 3:26pm

Hey, thank you for taking the time to read my post!

For starters it looks like you guys are just what im looking for, cause i need help (lets just say im totally lost). I am not looking to buy a Desktop right this second but i am come Late Augest/Early September. My budget is $2200-2500 (closer to $2200 prefribly) roughly, and i would like a 22" screen. Basically what I really want to do with this computer is game, specifically Age Of Conan without having to lower the settings. Also in the budget i would like Anti-Virus (your best recomendation), Vista Premium (32 or 64bit?) and a gaming mouse+keyboard to be included in the budget. It is prefrible to have to the computer easily upgradible for the future aswell.

My main questions are; is superclocking worth it (and then what cooling do i need), im totally lost on motherboards, what do i need for graphics (SLI, CrossfireX... just one card perhaps?), 2 or 4GB of ram (do i really need 4?)and anything else that may be helpfull to build this PC.

Thank you again for your time, it is very much appretiated.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 3:48pm
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=160682

This setup leaves you with about $300 for you to pick out a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and anti-virus.

If you want to pay a subscription fee for anti-virus, I'd go with NOD32 which is about $59 a year I believe. If you want something free, try out AVG.

For gaming accessories, totally up to you but my personal preference is the Logitech G5 laser mouse and Logitech G15 keyboard (somewhere around $100 total).

You would want 64-bit Vista because you want to utilize 4GB of ram. Age of Conan has a lot of memory leaks =\

Age of Conan absolutely hates ATI cards so I would recommend against it if Age of Conan is your primary game. A single card will do good for a 22" screen and MMOs in general but if you would like to add a second card down the road, feel free to upgrade to a 650W PSU.

Overclocking is worth it, it can save you a lot of money in the end if you do it yourself. It can be done with air cooling but you will achieve higher clocks with liquid.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 5:08am
skr has a nice setup and I also recommend nod32, but a few things.

1. not sure but I think you can still nod32 renew licence instead of a whole new license, which should save you 20$. ;)

2. I'm not a gamer myself but I do buy gaming PC-s I more into the computing power, having said that, you need to upgrade your main drive to the 74GB raptor 10,000. RPM, its worth the difference if you ask me, I have been using them for a few years now.

3. if you only gonna go with 4GB, which I recommend also, then stick with the 32bit vista, it sees 3.5GB and your system will use the whole 4GB anyways. if you gonna go with 8GB of RAM or more then you have to go with 64bit vista.

OK those are the changes I would do, but thats just me ;)

SLI = Nvidia
CrossFire = ATI

Overclocking is worth it, if you do it right, I would recommend liquid cooling if you wanna do Overclocking.

the whole point of buying from DS is that you get a great PC that you can upgrade easily.

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Jun 2008 at 5:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply