FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

a few general maintenance questions

Post Date: 2009-02-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
badtrip View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote badtrip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: a few general maintenance questions
    Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 1:10pm
i havent received my rig yet but it will be shipping out later this week and i had a few general questions on how to improve and maintain optimum performance from the start.  really just 2 questions
ive looked through all of the stickies with the various tweaks you can do to disable unecessary process's in vista, would it be a good idea to implement all of these from day one?
is there any harm to leaving a pc running for days - weeks at time ? is it better to shut down after each use or just keep it in sleep mode ?

any other maintenance input is greatly appreciated.   thank you for your time
Kryhavoc View Drop Down

Quote Kryhavoc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 1:24pm
Well, the only question I can honestly answer is the shut down vs. sleep mode question.  This is only my opinion, but the answer seems to bear out from personal experience.

When you experience some issue with performance on the computer, sometimes the easiest fix is to shut down the computer and restart it.  This will clean out some temporary files that may be causing a conflict.

I used to just let my computer sleep and discovered I would have some problems with a game I played until I shut it down and restarted it.  When I started shutting the computer down when I wasn't using it and doing a clean start each time, I never encountered any problems with the game.

Again, this is just my opinion, but your mileage may vary.
StLBluesFan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote StLBluesFan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 4:28pm
Obviously these are just opinions but, I agree that it's a good idea to "clear out the pc's cobwebs" now and then with a reboot.  Whether you do that daily or weekly recognize that up-time will drag down the PCs performance and certainly errors that you might experience will likely return quickly without a reboot.  I shut down nightly.

As to concern about Windows processes and the like, these new PCs are hardly affected by anything you'll see when you receive them new.  Over time, though, you may install quite a bit of software that loads at startup and does drag boot time into the mud.  I wouldn't think you'll see any benefit from messing with processes now, but do keep an eye on them for evidence of strange things happening (aka malware and the like).
Dan
HAF 932/940 @3.85 LC/6GB DDR3 @1400Mhz
Asus Rampage II Extreme
SLI BFG GTX 280 std clocks
Dell 30" Display
Vista 64-bit
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by badtrip

i havent received my rig yet but it will be shipping out later this week and i had a few general questions on how to improve and maintain optimum performance from the start.  really just 2 questions
ive looked through all of the stickies with the various tweaks you can do to disable unecessary process's in vista, would it be a good idea to implement all of these from day one?

is there any harm to leaving a pc running for days - weeks at time ? is it better to shut down after each use or just keep it in sleep mode ?

any other maintenance input is greatly appreciated.   thank you for your time

well use CCleaner to clean out temp files and etc.

use ccleaner's startup section to edit any apps that start with windows, the less the better, the more, the longer boot takes and also unnecessary stuff running.

windows services and etc, won't matter much to your system, its too powerfull.

I leave my pc on all the time, I never turn it off.

every 3 month, defrag your drives.

get a light anti virus and firewall like eset.
 Post Reply Post Reply