FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A few questions about my order

Post Date: 2019-08-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
EJMate View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote EJMate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: A few questions about my order
    Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:40am
I have ordered a Lynx level 4 almost two weeks ago. I am excited and patiently awaiting its arrival. In the meantime I have a few questions, being this is my first time ordering a PC build.

1. It comes with the Intel core i7-9700f cpu. Everyone I look at on YouTube or elsewhere talks about the 9700k version. What is the difference between these two models?

2. I chose the USB dongle option for Internet. Will it still have the high speed network ports as in the default option? I'm assuming the (+25 Dollar) option was to just add in a wireless dongle to plug into the network port USB.

3. ASUS/MSI/ASRock (Intel Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) was the Motherboard listed on the configuration. Which motherboard is this out of curiosity? I'm not fluent in most PC Lingo, so I'm not sure what that all means. I'm also assuming the motherboard does not have WiFi since it was not listed. Is this the case?

4. My last computer was some sort of DELL back around the early 2000s. I vaguely remember the since of the tower. The Lynx is a mid-tower chassis. Is that basically the standard tower size of most PCs? I'm just trying to get an idea of the size and look of it. I purchased a nice L-Shaped desk for this PC.

5. As far as benchmarking and stress-testing go on DS's end when they put together a new config, how do they go about it? Do they set, say, perimeters to the best settings for you? Do they overclock Lynx systems or anything like that before sending them out? I'm not familiar with overclocking, or what exactly it does for gaming performance. I will be using this PC mainly for gaming purposes, so is this something I will need to look into myself? I have a good friend who works in IT, and builds PC's himself. He could help me if need be with those aspects if needed.

Thanks in advance for answering any, or all of my questions! I am excited to receive my new Lynx system.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 4:07pm
Lol... These are an awful lot of questions on something you already selected 2 weeks ago!    Changes may cost you a bit now, but you can always ask DS Sales if you want changes and are willing to wait & pay difference in cost.

1) The F class CPU can not Overclocked....
The K & X class CPU's can be Overclocked for significantly more performance and value.     

2) Yes whatever motherboard you got will have a network port.   Nothing wrong with using a USB wifi dongle.   

3) You will have to ask DS what motherboard you are getting.   They have several they keep in stock for this build type.   

4) Lynx is a DS designed mid-tower ATX case.   
The specs are (LxWxH) 18" x 8" x 18".

5) DS has over 10 yrs of experience building all levels of computers from low end to the very highest Gaming and professional type rigs.    Your build will be assembled carefully, then will be very thoroughly stress tested by quality control experts to make sure all is correct and that it meets DS performance standards under realistic stress loads.    They will do this before it gets packaged and ships to you.   

From what you have said you ordered, there will be no Overclocking on your particular build.   

Overclocking adds power & performance...and as a result some added heat to qualified CPU and or GPU components to obtain better performance and higher gaming frame-rates.   The added heat is easily offset by the appropriate liquid cooler products selected for a build.   You won't need to worry about Overclocking....and I'm sure your new DS Lynx will game very well for you.    

Edited by HockeyBuck - 18 Aug 2019 at 4:11pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 1:43am
Congratulations and welcome to DS EJMate. AwesomeYou will love your system when you get to play with it. 

We like to see images of the computers when they get home, if you don't mind. Excited
Enjoy. Big%20Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:37am
The Lynx level 4 is not customizable. The 9700F is part of the reason this build comes in so capable at such a superior price point. Overclocking is not the key to performance it was in earlier times. It may be nice to have, but this CPU Turbos up to 4.7 GHz, which means it's capable of that speed whenever demand on CPU cycles calls for it. That's pretty blazing fast these days and way ahead of what was available just a couple of generations ago. At this price you will be quite impressed at all you get.

You are right about the dongle. The mobo comes with an ethernet port for direct connection to your isp source. The dongle enables wi-fi communication with other devices you may have.
EJMate View Drop Down

Quote EJMate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:55am
Thank you for the information. I was not planning on changing anything about this configuration. I was just curious about some of the terminology and such.

While waiting for my setup, I have been watching tons of videos about builds and parts, etc. It made me wonder such questions as the difference between F and K CPUS. Also made me question if I really needed the Dongle since i saw a alot of mobos with built in wifi.

Thanks again, and I know this computer is going to be everything I need and more. I will also gladly post images of it when she arrives. The wait is hard, but gonna be so worth it!

Edited by EJMate - 19 Aug 2019 at 8:56am
EJMate View Drop Down

Quote EJMate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 9:01am
I also picked up the 24" Curved Gaming monitor option seeing as I need a monitor to use with it. (The 144hz, 1ms Response option), and the master keys lite keyboard and mouse bundle. Picked up the Corsair Void Pro RGB Headset and stand with it as well.

Now my room will be glowing with RGB lighting, and ill be gaming at high framerates. Super excited.

Funny, how I made this investment because I wanted to get back into PC gaming finally, but will be playing WoW Classic with my old guild from back in the day. Not that I need all this power for that game, but why not!?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 4:51am
"Why not?" is kind of a catch phrase around here!

I certainly hope your new experience is everything you wish for. I think you'll be very happy.
 Post Reply Post Reply