FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Lesson in Patience

Post Date: 2020-07-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Warmocker View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Warmocker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: A Lesson in Patience
    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 6:37am
I'm an old man. I turn 50 soon. Been gaming most of my life. I remember ordering my first and only PC from DS 10 yrs back. I had built a few of my own but just didn't want to do it again. Back then it was more of a pain imo. That system has been running great all this time. Only had to replace the GPU.

I decided I would start saving a couple of years back for a new one. Came on here and Jumped the gun without really doing much research first, which was dumb. Thought on it a few then Cancelled my order because it didn't feel right. Figured out what I really wanted. Came back on here and built another. Felt good. Then I got the call.

Mom's got cancer again and she's scared. I see my mom, who lives out of state, about every couple of years or so. The last several months have been really rough for all of us. Dad's leukemia came back and he passed last year. Then mom was left alone but was ok but one of their two dogs passed a couple of months after dad. Then a couple months back I had to put my two dogs down for age related ailments. Then a few weeks back mom's last pup died of seizures. Now, mom says they called and said they found cancer in her blood again.

I called DS and told them I had to cancel my order because of a family emergency and didn't really give it a second thought. I'm about to turn 50 and feel like I'm 100 and family needs to be taken care of. Well, my mother was talking to my wife about moving her out here with us and found out that I had been saving for years to do and what she told me was typical of my mother. "Look here, I'll have your ass if you cancel that. I'm fine and everything will be taken care of". Of course, we argued about it but it's your mom lol. I never win anything with her.

So I called DS and redid my order for the third time. The TLDR lesson here is, we all want what we want and think of ourselves most of the time before anyone else. People do their best to make those around them happy and we have to accept that sometimes, it takes patience and understanding.
Be patient. It'll all happen soon enough. Just a heads up about what can get in the way when you're not looking for it. Let DS keep working hard and you focus on what matters around you. Before you know it, you'll get your system and maybe learn something focusing on those around you that you love. Sorry for the wot.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:06am
What a story and a lesson to be learned. Thanks for sharing all of that with us. Best wishes and thoughts for your mom and family.

BTW, you might be surprised to know that at 50 you're going to be considered one of the youngsters around here! ...so, keep off the %$%# lawn!!   
Warmocker View Drop Down

Quote Warmocker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:53am
Thank you for the thoughts. It's appreciated. I just wanted to say something for all of those who are just dying to get their systems when the wait is long. Sometimes we can lose focus on other important things.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:25pm
Sorry to hear about your life issues. They cannot be any easier under the current conditions. Hope you get your system trouble free and it blows you away. Strong

I had to comment on your being "old" . Most of us here wish we were that old. At least I know I would. Big%20Smile

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 4:04am
I'm pleased to echo the sentiments of our friends. It is a heckova time to have to face such trials. I hang out here because I love gaming, and we've got "a few good men" like these. Would be happy to have you longer term, if you'd like to drop by from time to time.

PS: I got 20+ years on you.
theantihero View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote theantihero Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 4:28am
Wow, nicely said. I did not know the general demographic on the forum boards had people old as my dad haha. I hope nothing but the best wishes for you and your mom. Thank you for your wisdom for the younger folk that may be on here :)
Bolt X - Lust Red
Discord: theantihero#0001
Warmocker View Drop Down

Quote Warmocker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 2:22pm
I don't feel so bad now being the old man I thought I was lol. But, as said, I learned a little about patience and it makes waiting on my system easier. I know DS is not cutting corners and it will be awesome. Just hope others don't let the wait get to them too bad.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 6:26pm
I am not far behind Craete, young one.
Warmocker View Drop Down

Quote Warmocker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 9:20am
I wanted to let you guys know mom has passed today. This was a sudden thing and it ended just a suddenly. She was tough and taught me a lot and she really was the the push that made me do a lot of things that I was not sure about, like getting a new system from DS after so many years. among other things. You guys have been cool and supportive and though I haven't received my system yet, with the things I have to do in the following days and week, I will have to wait to experience it anyway. Again, she teaches me about patience. Thanks again for the support.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 9:54am
My most sincere and deepest sympathy on your loss. Love
Both my parents are gone and I still miss them both dearly.
Stay strong.

Stellar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Stellar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 11:14am
This genuinely made me tear up, thank you for being strong and sharing with us. I send nothing but positive vibes over to you.

I know that a computer is just that, a computer. I hope that it does help make things a bit easier with more entertainment.

I made sure to ping our shipping department to have your system sent out today. You should be receiving a tracking number by the end of the day.

Warmocker View Drop Down

Quote Warmocker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Stellar

This genuinely made me tear up, thank you for being strong and sharing with us. I send nothing but positive vibes over to you.

I know that a computer is just that, a computer. I hope that it does help make things a bit easier with more entertainment.

I made sure to ping our shipping department to have your system sent out today. You should be receiving a tracking number by the end of the day.

Stellar, I appreciate that man. You don't have to make a fuss. I live 11 hours away from where she is at now so I am still gathering all my stuff to make the drive there. I'll most likely be there a week to take care of all of the estate stuff and arrangements. I'll be by myself so it'll take a bit longer but I'll get it taken care of. I have my wife staying to keep an eye out for the delivery when it does show up so it doesn't walk away. You guys have so much on your plate with hundreds of systems a week going out, you've done enough just making my system at all. Thanks again for everything

Edited by Warmocker - 20 Aug 2020 at 11:36am
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 12:43pm
Warmocker, somehow I missed this the first time around. Like the others here I am no longer a spring chicken and so I will blame eyesight and cognition that are not what they once were. Big%20Smile I'm sorry to hear about your loss, I've also had the unfortunate scenario of both parents having cancer and while I won't presume to understand exactly what you've gone through, at the very least I can empathize. I'm just chiming in to say I think you've got a great message here. I think there are two things that normally go into the purchase of enthusiast computers. On the one hand, yes, it is just a computer - albeit an expensive one. So there are many points where if we're angry at the computer or DS for some reason it's important to remember that at the end of the day it's just bunch of circuitry in a box. But for people who are buying enthusiast computers they are often much more than just a box too. They are a connection to others, a pastime, a de-stressor, or just a piece of pride that says "Hey, I worked hard and now I have this." I think it's important to be mindful of both of those aspects to a fancy computer, and in both scenarios I think patience is a virtue so I agree with you wholeheartedly. Awesome

Edited by Tidgxor - 20 Aug 2020 at 12:44pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 4:50pm
Very nicely put, Tidxor.

Warmocker, I, too regret your loss, and wish you peace as you sadly go about the tasks before you. Not to overstate, but you have a few sympathetic ears here, so carry that with you on your journey for what it's worth. Best wishes to you.
Warmocker View Drop Down

Quote Warmocker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 6:02am
Originally posted by Cretae

Very nicely put, Tidxor.

Warmocker, I, too regret your loss, and wish you peace as you sadly go about the tasks before you. Not to overstate, but you have a few sympathetic ears here, so carry that with you on your journey for what it's worth. Best wishes to you.

Thank you. I appreciate it.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 1:21pm
We're very sorry to hear about this.
Warmocker View Drop Down

Quote Warmocker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 6:02am
Well after a week being gone taking care of estate things. It was nice to see my system waiting on me. It's been great. Thanks DS for getting the system to me in great condition and working perfectly.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 8:48am
 Awesome
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 9:05am
Awesome
Big%20Smile

smfcpa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote smfcpa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 4:52pm
I am still focused on the old man comment, at 49. What is a 73 year old?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 4:12am
@ Warmocker: Glad you are back and taking some solace in your system.

Originally posted by smfcpa

I am still focused on the old man comment, at 49. What is a 73 year old?

Someone I went to high school with.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:53am
Man, to be 49 again!! lol
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:16am
Yea, 49 was a hoot.... darn youngsters these days.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 12:42pm
Warmocker, your original post was touching and sorry for your loss. They say laughter is the best medicine and I pray you and your family are laughing again.

And yeah, darn whippersnappers!
Warmocker View Drop Down

Quote Warmocker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 6:17am
Had the new system a little bit now and have been having a great time. Then it happened and now it's the 3080 blues. and here I made this post about patience. Who has egg on their face now lol. 50% performance increase across the board at half the cost. omg. I really need to practice what I preach more. :( at that price point, even if I did buy the new 3080, I'll never even get half of what I paid for my 2080ti because of it. Thanks Nvidia. It'll make a nice paper weight lol. Reading now that the market is being flooded with 2080ti's and are going for 500 bucks on ebay   

Edited by Warmocker - 11 Sep 2020 at 9:39am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 7:03am
Meh... I still will wait on my system with the 2080 Super and will be perfectly fine with it for the next couple of years. THEN I will run out and buy the best card available, having got my monies worth out of the 2080. I don't get caught up in the "latest... greatest, biggest baddest" hamster wheel.

I understand how you might feel, but with the 2080ti you have, I would be very satisfied knowing it will handle any 1440p game you throw at it for some time to come. Get your monies worth out of it and then upgrade later.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 11 Sep 2020 at 2:01pm
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by fwfdfireman

I understand how you might feel, but with the 2080ti you have, I would be very satisfied knowing it will handle any 1440p game you throw at it for some time to come. Get your monies worth out of it and then upgrade later.

Great advice! My 9 month old 2070 Super is doing great at 1440P.
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 2:59am
To be fair even if the newest of the new gets more FPS than your existing card does it really matter much?

As long as my games run and play well for me I am happy.

Sure down the line I might upgrade if I find a good deal on a better card. Until then I can wait.

My last DS system started with a GTX 670 then went to a GTX 970 until finally I got a GTX 1070.

My current system has an RTX 2070 super and I am sure I will upgrade it a few times until it is time to get another great DS system.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 3:09am
"If I always waited for the next 'thing', I would never have any 'thing'"...

something to think on.   
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 3:43pm
Just as another point of note as far as the "next best thing" goes, the person I gave my first DS rig to is still running the 580 with pretty much no issues at 1080p on recent games. Obviously you're not going to be maxing anything out and higher resolutions are going to drop off rapidly, but it's just a reminder that GPUs generally perform just fine much longer than vocal enthusiasts claim they do. Big%20Smile 
Warmocker View Drop Down

Quote Warmocker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 7:09am
I'm finally over it lol. I guess I was upset that a lot of money was spent and to have something that was better and cheaper come out right after, nerved me a little. I'm over it and just happy with system as is. Thanks everyone for the nice words again. It's appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply