FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A little story.

Post Date: 2008-05-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bigdog View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: A little story.
    Posted: 13 May 2008 at 4:33pm
alright, my sisters husband got me to buy COD4 and now his gateway computer LOL went to the crapper now he has to wait 4 weeks to get it back since he had to send it to them.   He bought the thing at BestBuy, so yea go figure. 

Anyway,  he actually had the nerve to ask a bestbuy employee about what video card he should get since he wants to run COD4 on good settings.  They told him that the 8600GTS will run it perfectly.  Ok now I know that my 8800GTX's run the thing perfectly and COD4 isn't nearly as powerful as crysis.  I don't know much about the new video cards.  logically I think they got him to buy a crap video card where the 9600GT is $199.99 and the 8600GTS is 189.99.  I said to him "WTF, that idiot should have pointed out the 9600GT to you.   it's a newer card etc etc I would actually think that it would be more powerful compared to an 8600GTS actually.

He ended up chewing out the geeksquad guy and instead got the 9600GT.

What I need to ask is, did I do the right thing?  and how high will he be able to run COD4, he has a 22" samsung monitor by the way.
Processor: QX6850 (3.3Ghz)
RAM: 4GB 1066 Dominators
Graphics: 2x 8800GTX 768MB
Sound Card: Fatal1ty
HDD 1: 2x 150GB raptor (RAID 0)
HDD 2: 1x 150GB raptor
HDD 3: 320GB western
Liquid cooling (red)
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2008 at 5:18pm
1600x1200 max settings, around ~30 fps.

I woulda got the 3870 for ~$149 which is on par with the 9600GT.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Bigdog View Drop Down

Quote Bigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2008 at 5:34pm
yea, you can get the 9600gt on tigerdirect for that price I think..... not sure.

but why on earth would someone try to get someone else to buy a 8600GTS for COD4?
Liquid cooling (red)
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2008 at 11:38pm
Because his boss told him to move that stock would be my guess. Yes, you did the right thing. I just upgraded from an 8600GT that I generally ran overclocked to near GTS speeds, and can tell you your buddy:

1. Owes you one because you helped him dodge a bullet.

2. Is going to love his 9600GT. For a single card I would probably try running at 1280x1024. 1600x1200 pushes my SLI'd 9600's pretty hard at times (War Pig in SP mode can dip into the mid 20's FPS with everything set to max).
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2008 at 12:29am
dont ask best buy employees about anything on the component level, they will make up an answer before attemping to tell you they dont know or asking someone who does
Bigdog View Drop Down

Quote Bigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2008 at 6:18pm
that isn't all either.  So he brings back his computer to get fixed, he can't get a refund now because he has had it for more then a few months.  but he still has a warranty on it.  So now he brings back his computer to bestbuy and that stupid company....whats it called?.........oh yea "the geek squad" goes through a bunch of things to then find out from gateway it was probably a bad motherboard.

Now you would think the "Geek Squad" could put in a motherboard.  Well, they can't because they are not qualified enough or something.  So what I need to understand is, if they can't install a simple motherboard, then WTF are they doing giving out computer info to people.  As a matter of fact why do they even have a damn buisness?

for a company that can't install a simple thing such as a motherboard, I certainly wouldn't trust them tampering with my computer or anything else for that matter.  As of a few days ago I am still mindboggled by this. 

so they had to send the computer back to gateway and now it's about 4 to even 6 weeks at the most until he gets his computer back.   I just can't help but rant about this, it's so fricken stupid that I can't get over it. LOL

ARRRRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!! I wish I was there with the guy just so I could start yapping at them.  I like to bitch about things if it's the right thing to complain about, that is actually one of them.   I am going to stop right here though since I am so worked up that I could actually type a full 3 page rant about this.

I think digital storm should put in a rant section for ranting about other companies that we have experienced just down right horrible things and things that just don't make sense.  From talking to a BestBuy employee to whatever else....maybe Circuit City even lol I dunno.

Edited by Bigdog - 14 May 2008 at 6:26pm
Liquid cooling (red)
Bigdog View Drop Down

Quote Bigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 May 2008 at 2:02am
Birddog?LOL

very true though.  I am just pissed cause now I have to wait a few weeks before he can get on COD4.
Liquid cooling (red)
 Post Reply Post Reply