FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Question?

Post Date: 2012-07-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
[JK] View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote [JK] Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: A Question?
    Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 5:57pm
So for the past few years I've been looking at different Computer Technician style sources Like digital storm and always had this question about you guys. Do you ever support AMD if not how come? I mean they aren't a bad company I run current DX11 games on ultra with little to no lag besides BF3. So whats the idea behind the NVIDIA + Intel Fanboy style service?
AMD Machine!:
Asus CrossHair IV
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.4GHz
OCz Gold DDR3 1600MHz x2 8GB
Two HD5670's In crossfire
Thermaltake Gaming PSU 500W
HAFx 932 Black Case
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 11:55pm
Well, I certainly am not speaking for Digital Storm but, as a fanboy of MaximumPC, I noticed that almost all their system kick-ass awards go to Intel CPU's and, most of the time, NVidia GPU's so, if I were looking to buy a kick-ass desktop, I'd probably look for those parts. Just my humble opinion Smile

FWIW, my latest purchase from Digital Storm is using an AMD GPU so I did split the difference Big%20Smile

Herkucheeze View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Herkucheeze Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 7:55am
Everything I've read about CPU's right now says that Intel has a clear leg up on AMD. However, in terms of GPU's, AMD has recently put up some great cards (7800 and 7900 series). I feel like DS has a bias towards Intel and Nvidia, but it's not a law or anything. I just ordered an ODE level 2, and it comes with a single Radeon 7950. Every piece of advice I've gotten or seen given out by DS has been about building people the most PC for the money without forcing unnecessary things, so I trust their judgement on this.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 8:40am
Hi JK,

If you look around the DS Web site you will find that DS sells a lot of AMD equipment. It is mostly in the lower cost systems. When someone comes to this forum looking for a killer gaming machine we normally recommend the best equipment for the job. With high level systems that is usually Intel and Nvidia. Some of the ODE system use AMD and the Marauder level 1 and 2 use AMD totally. I like AMD and I have an AMD GPU in my system. But in high performance systems it just doesn't cut it except for some very specialized applications. AMD missed the target with some of its latest offerings and that is reflected in the recommendations on this forum.

When I recommend equipment on this forum I choose what is appropriate for the job. Sometimes that is AMD but most of the time it will be Intel and Nvidia. If your budget is less than $1000 then it will be AMD.

Frank
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 10:50am
Great question! As everyone has said, we do offer AMD solutions, however, AMD's position isn't on the high-performance segment compared to Intel, and as gaming computers and gaming laptops are naturally performance PCs, there is always going to be more support/offerings for Intel solutions.
 Post Reply Post Reply