Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BriSleep View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BriSleep Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: A Re-configuration
    Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 5:04am
Hey is this too much or what? DS actually is going to let me sent my system back and re-configure a few things so that I'll have a system that will leave me more of an upgrade path.
  Ok, I've tried putting in what I already have so I can keep most of the parts I've already paid for.
  What to change: Definitly a bigger case, right now the video card barely fits and the water cooling is all bunched up. The HAF 932 and the HAF 922, looks like the only difference is the 932 is a few inches taller? The CM Storm Sniper is almost as big as the HAF932 & definitly bigger than the 922, the Hailstorm is giantic a 24" square but also much more expensive.
I also want a better motherboard, should I stick with the Evga and upgrade to the Classified and water cool the chipset and processor? Or would switching to one of the ASUS boards be better? The Evga I have has 16X-16X-8X Sli, I want all 3 slots to be 18X.
I want a Western Digital 1Tb drive as my secondary. I got the seagate in my original build, I'll keep that and add the WD. I've had 2 seagates fail within 1 year of purchasing them.
Last, I want the Stage 5 cooling, chipset and processor. I know my current rig works terrific under pressure but I just think it would be better to have the chipset cooled too.
Oh, I must have clicked on paint the vents and grills but I just want the hose clamps and screws deal, like I first got.

I really need opinions on which case to get. I like mid-towers and the 922 is just as deep as the 932, so is the Sniper. Is there really much difference in how it cools if it's 2" taller? Also the Hailstorm is awesome but it doesn't look like it was built for cooling, more for add ons? Also the Hailstorm is a lot more expensive right?
Please help with your opinion.

Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932 (Black OPS Edition)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: Paint All Trim Accents: Chassis Vents, Grills, Screws, and Hose Clamps (Blue)
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (128GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: CMFSSD-128D1 Extream Speed)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (1TB Seagate/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 5: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System: CPU & Chipset
H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue
Boost Processor: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my processor ----Wrong it's OC'ed to 4.0Ghz
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

i-7 920 @4.0Ghz Stage 4 L/C Evga 3xSli X58
2 Evga GTX 480 vanillas in SLI
6Mb of 1866 ram
Win7 Pro
2 Corsair 128Gb SSDs, 1TB WD to see which lasts longer.
All in a D/S HAF 932
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 12:10pm
go with 932, the rest are midtower.

even the classified does not have all 3 lanes 16x nor do you need to have 3 x 16x lanes.

upping your ram to 1866 is pointless.

change your psu to corsair.

don't worry about cooling the chipset, that was not even offered till a few month ago and does not make a difference you would notice or need.
Kyu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Kyu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 1:15pm
lol, 18x pci-e sounds awsome

1600mhz ddr3 vs 1866 ddr3, only noticable by charts.
meaning you wont feel any difference

and with i7's you really dont needto cool chipsets like how some old P4's did during their super overclock.

besides that stock heatsink on the evga boards are actually good.
and since you're LC your other hardware, there isnt much heat stored within the chasis in the first place.
BriSleep View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote BriSleep Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 2:53pm
Ok, I've already got the 1866 Ram so that's too late. What about the case? The only dfference I see between the 922 and the 932 is that th 932 is about 2" taller. Does it make any difference? Or is that about what a larger radiator would take up?
Oh, why don't you need 16X on the third lane? Don't you want all the vid cards to run the same or does it not matter when you link them?

Edited by BriSleep - 16 Dec 2009 at 2:55pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 3:14pm
gpu power is about getting 60 fps in games, if you are doing that with 16x 8x 8x or whatever else, it does not matter since you will not notice the difference.

932 is a full tower case the others are not, so you have more room to grow and more room for airflow and better temps.

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Dec 2009 at 3:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply