FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A reworked OC Very Long

Post Date: 2008-02-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roger View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: A reworked OC Very Long
    Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 9:35pm
Evening all,

Having an overclocked rig is just a great thing.  But as I have learned more over the last few weeks, it really made me wonder if the OC done by DS could be improved upon.  So let me start from the very beginning.

I ordered my system with Vista Ultimate, a q6600, with DS overclock.  Stage 2 cooling, XMS 800 memory, and an 8800GTS512.  All stuffed into an Ultra case.

When my box arrived, and upon boot up the first time, I was amazed at having a 3.6 OC.  So I did what just about everyone else does and downloaded all the windows updates, nvidia hotfixes but I did not change any of the drivers that the machine came with.  I loaded up COD4 and was amazed at how fast and smooth the game played.  I played for hours (not a very good game player yet, but am getting better)  The system locked up hard, requiring a hard reboot.

So I got the apps of CoreTemp, CPU-Z, and Prime 95 and started doing some testing and monitoring.  The first go around with Prime told me that under full load the temps were 70*.  NOT GOOD!!  On top of that now I was starting to have problems at boot and at shutdown.  I had taken CoreTemp and had created a task schedule for it to start at boot.  (This program will not run from start-up folder at boot).  When the system would lock up, a hard boot was usually required.  At boot, sometimes I would not get a desktop, but would still be able to alt-tab out to task manager to quit tasks.  Even being able to do that was no help, as it would now hang at shutdown, requiring another hard boot.  When the next boot came up, I would get a desktop that looks normal, but the task scheduler would not get CoreTemp started, and I would have no Internet access.  Click restart, and would again hang at shutdown, hardboot,  select start windows normally would finally get a system that behaves like it should.

These were the 3.6 OC setting in bios

CPU Core  1.55
CPU FSB  Auto
Memory  2.0
nForce SPP  1.45
nForce MCP  1.6
HT nForce SPP  <-->  MCP  1.45

The CPU was cooking and nothing I could do would lower the temps.  I was frustrated, as most with a new machine that is not working correctly would be so I called Josh at DS.  He had me try a couple of things that had no effect on anything finally I just had him help me over the phone to reset my OC to a more reasonable level.  He had me change the Multiplyer from 9 to 8 and change the CPU core voltage to 1.5 everything else stayed the same.  So now I have this new OC of 3.2 pretty stable all around but still with random hangs at boot and shutdown.  Also have temp in the 65+ column under stress from Prime95.  Still not good.

I talked with one of the Forum members, and he suggested a few things that I could try.  Namely Running Auslogics Disc Defrag, and CCleaner.  I was only 1% fragmented but let it clean it up anyway.  The CCleaner on the other hand found multiple problems both in the file system, and the registry.  If I remember correctly almost 1,000 instances.  I let it fix everything.  I believe this cured alot of the boot hangs, and shutdown hangs.

This morning I had the house to myself, and decided to see if I could get my voltages down so my temps would come down with it.  I started lowering the CPU Voltage down by 2 increments in the bios.  Each requiring a reboot, check the voltage windows sees thru CPU-Z and start Prime 95 using the small option.

Voltages tried:

Bios        CPU-Z voltage        Temp under full load

1.4875        1.432                67*
1.475        1.416                67*
1.4625        1.4                67*
1.45        1.392                65*
1.4375        1.384                65*
1.425        1.368                65*

As you can see I was getting nowhere fast.  I had dropped the voltage .064 volts but had only dropped the temps by 2*.  I was also getting concerned about how low one can take the voltage.  I did a google on voltages and it took me to an overclocking site where I saw that a few of the guys were running voltages of around 1.25  Then next jump went down quite a bit.
                                                                                        Voltage under Load of Prime95
1.3000        1.256                Failed at start of Prime95
1.2875        Did not load to desktop
1.30625        1.256                Failed with immediate reboot
1.3125        Coretemp failed to load
1.29375        1.248                Failed at start of Prime95
1.31875        1.272                Prime95 ran 1 minute then Failed
1.325        1.272                Prime95 ran 2 minutes then Failed            1.224
1.33125        1.280                Prime95 ran 3 minutes then Failed            1.232
1.3375        1.288                Prime95 running for 1.5 hours no problems        1.240

With Prime95 still running as I write this, my temps under full load are 58* and have been steady as a rock for over an hour and a half.  So I guess the whole story behind this is if you are seeing higher than expected temps, you may be able to lower voltages to reduce the heat that is being produced by your processor.  I dont know if even Crysis can stress the processor like Prime95 can.  I would sure like to hear any input anyone has on this subject.

Edited by Roger - 23 Feb 2008 at 9:38pm
Ultra Case - Q6600 3.2GHz - 750W PS - nVidia 780i SLI MB - 2GB DDR2 800mhz SMS2 - 8800GTS 512mb - 320GB WD HD - Onboard Audio - Dual DVD's - Stage 2 Cooling - Vista Ultimate
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 10:46pm
Roger,

If I'm following you, your now running the FSB at 1600 MHz and CPU at 3.2 GHz with Vc = 1.338 according to the BIOS. That seem kinda resonable. How long did Prime95 run? Of course the ultimate test is whether the BSODs and other problems go away.

If Prime95 doesn't run for a long time, I'd be tempted to suggest that you explore improving your cooling and crank the juice up a tad more. I would have guessed that's 1.34 V is more like what you'd use for 2.6 GHz.

Nice to see somebody experimenting methodically.
3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 10:51pm
the q6600 has a x9 multiplier so he's at 3.6ghz.

if you can run it for 8+ hours without errors than it will be ready to handle anything you throw at. nothing stresses your cpu more than a stress test.

1.35v is the default for core 2s so you have an excellent chip right there.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Roger View Drop Down

Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 11:07pm
***Update***

For Sky,  1600FSB, 8x multiplier, 3.2ghz.

For Bill,  Prime ran at 1.3375 for 2.5 hours till I had one core drop the ball.  So, went back into bios, bumped the vcore up one notch and now am a half hour into the next prime run using small FFT's.  Highest temp still was 58* and holding nicely.....  just what I wanted to see.

Roger
Ultra Case - Q6600 3.2GHz - 750W PS - nVidia 780i SLI MB - 2GB DDR2 800mhz SMS2 - 8800GTS 512mb - 320GB WD HD - Onboard Audio - Dual DVD's - Stage 2 Cooling - Vista Ultimate
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 11:46pm
Roger, I'm looking over the Prime tests running in that screen shot. You should try and isolate the CPU with a run of small FFT's in the torture test selections. This will not put much stress at all on the system RAM, but will really push your CPU. With the small FFT's running you should also gain better insight into your max temperatures. In my testing of various overclocks, I have also had much better luck running the RAM synchronized than not.

Once you have run small FFT's for about 20 minutes, stop the test, and run a blend for 2 hours or more to put a more balanced stress on the system. In this way, you will know if the failures are coming from your CPU settings, or from your RAM settings. There may be better ways, but this has worked for me.

Good the see the random hangups have lessened in severity.
Roger View Drop Down

Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 12:11am
Tyler,

I have to admit, I am totally lost when it comes to setting ram settings.  Right now my timings are set at 4-4-4-12-2T.  

FSB - Memory Clock Mode is Unlinked
FSB QDR  1600
MEM DDR  800

Are these right? or am I even on the right track?

Thanks for all the help everyone!!

Roger

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 1:56am
I tend to push my RAM speed a bit faster than the 1:1 to help compensate for latency. The timings you list are pretty stock. The full timings are probably something like 4-4-4-12 2t 3-24-5-8 7.8us running at 2 to 2.1V.

RAM timings are tricky. It's hard to get the best result from RAM, and it requires just as much patience as overclocking the CPU.

The way I do my timings, and it has worked for me so far: A-B-C-D 1T up to 770 MHz 2T past 800MHz E-F-G-H 7.8us

A+B+C=D
E+G=H
F=2*D

The actual relationships are more complex, but if you stick to that you shouldn't violate any of the requirements for timing relationships between the values. I use SiSoft Sandra's RAM bandwidth and latency tests to see if I am doing better or worse with a timing set, then see if it's stable on a Prime 95 blended FFT test with a known good CPU overclock.
Mythius101 View Drop Down

Quote Mythius101 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 2:29am
I have a question!

I've been pushing my voltage up a little bit along with my FSB (I refuse to go down from my 9x multiplier).  So far so good.

However, every now and then when I try to boot, Windows will NOT load no matter what (always hangs on the el-cheapo green loading bar).  It almost always happens when the lights on my Lycosa keyboard seem like they should flash on (like they normally do when Windows is booting).  I know I can run at the frequencies I'm trying to, because I've done so before stably.

Question is this:  could it be that the Lycosa is sapping too much power from the motherboard (all of my USB slots are filled), and therefore the voltage boost I'm trying to give the processor isn't working correctly?  Or are these completely separate entities, and/or the voltage to the processor is so insignificant that it isn't likely.

edit:  The Lycosa is one of those keyboard that takes up 2 USB slots to power the backlighting.

Edited by Mythius101 - 24 Feb 2008 at 2:32am
Vista Home Premium 32
Core 2 Quad Q6600
nVidia 680iA1
2GB Corsair Dominator RAM
2x SLI Dual GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
Creative Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty XtremeGamer
Roger View Drop Down

Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 9:21am
Morning all,

Well,  got up this morning and came out to see how Prime was doing.  At 5.5 hours core 4 had an error.  Bummer.  I am going to go in and bump up one more notch and give it a rerun.

I also ran 3DMark06 for a score of 13461 3DMarks.  Is this any good?  I am not going to do anything with pushing the card until I get Riva tuner profiles set up.

Mythius,  where are you at now, and where are you trying to get to?  Sounds like you are getting close.  For me, it was just a few clicks up on VCore to get into an OS.  Lotta trial and error here.

Might as well look at my ram timings while I am in there and see if I can bump them any.  Thanks all for the help.  Greatly appreciated.

Roger
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 2:45pm
Hey Roger,

Sounds like you're making progress. Like I said, it seems to me you have cooling issues, not voltage issues. Of course, where you set the threshold for passing Prime95 is up to you. Many people, I think, would say that your system is already stable enough, if Prime95 ran for 2 1/2 hours. Personally, I'd want to see it run for much longer, but I use my gaming computer for real computing (work) as well.

I went back and looked at the beginning of this thread. You've come a ways from there. The difference between 3.2 and 3.6 GHz is just 11 or 12%. I don't think you're ever going to miss it. You've correctly identified stability as your goal. If you're not there already, you will be with a little more juice.

What's your cooling situation? What's the room temp? How's the air flow around the outside of the case?

Edited by Bill the Cat - 24 Feb 2008 at 2:59pm
phantomdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phantomdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 3:57pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but what Roger is going through (time & effort)to find stability with his CPU is what DS is supposed to do when they build your rig and we ask for the CPU to be overclocked with stability? Don't we pay for that...maybe I missed something in the early posts... 

If, in fact it is a cooling issue, I would think that they would recommend liquid chilling as opposed to air cooling at an overclock of 3.6
NVIDIA 780i Core 2 Quad
4GB DDR2 Corsair 1066MHz Dominator
2 Quad Core Q9450 3.5Ghz
8800GTX 768MB SLI
Liquid Chilled FrostBite CPU
X-FI XtremeGamer
850W SilverStone PSU
TJ-9 Extreme
Vista 64
Roger View Drop Down

Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 4:13pm
Hi Bill and all,

Well, after adjusting the voltage up one more notch, prime is running for 6+ hours on small fft's.  Temps are holding nicely on 58-59*.  Ambient is probably around 70F.  Side of the case is open, I have 2 I believe 120mm fans, one in the back exhausting, one in the front pulling in.  Stage 2 Arctic 7 on the CPU, and stock on the northbridge.  On the 8800gts I can feel the heat coming off of it.  Once I get all my raid drives set up, 2-40gig in Raid 1 for the OS, and 3-320gig on Raid 5 for everything else, I figured to get Rivatuner installed and set up.  That GPU fan could run much faster and help suck some of that heat away from the northbridge.

I was rummaging around on the EVGA forum today, and ran across a very simple mod for the northbridge fan using a 60mm x 25mm 3pin fan,  guys have been dropping their temps 3-4*c doing this....  its as simple as just changing out the fan. 

But now I am totally curious.  When I recieved my rig, they had set the VCore at 1.55 in bios, with an actual of 1.488 using CPU-Z.  Using a 9 multiplier.  I may just take and bump the multi back up to 9, for the 3.6mhz, and then start at 1.4 in the vcore in the bios.  I want to see where it takes me.  Maybe if I can hold at around 60c (but I doubt it)  this may be a viable option.  I would probably be ok around 65*c, but I dont know if that is achievable with the cooling I have got now.  May need to add the 4 fans in the door, change out the northbridge fan, and get Rivatuner going to get there, but I really believe I can run the 3.6 on air.

STABILITY is the Key for me!!  I hate buggy flaky computers.  Makes me shudder when I remember how bad Win 3.11, and Win95 were.

Where you at with yours now?  Making any headway?

Roger
Roger View Drop Down

Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 4:47pm
P-Dog,

Yanno, looking back at how my box arrived, I was not dis-satisfied.  I was really rather surprised at the temps that I had when under a Prime95 load tho.  I gladly paid the 25 bux for the overclock.  That only amounted to 1% of the total cost of the system.  What It did give me tho is a good base, with typically known settings.  Since heat, and later instability became an issue I decided to go from 3.6 to 3.2. 

I have lowered my voltages in Bios by 10%.  Going from 1.5 to 1.35, under load the vcore was around 1.4 and now is 1.248.  Big, Big diff in temps now.

When I got this rig, I really abused it the first weekend.  COD4 for about 6 hours, and Crysis for an entire day.  One helluva stress test any way you look at it.  For a user that maybe only plays for a couple of hours at a stretch, and not really taxes the machine, it probably would have been a great machine!  I also think that part of my instability issues were around one of the MS updates that either did not install correctly, or did not uninstall correctly.  Tyler turned me onto a prog CCleaner that seemed to resolve the instability problems.  But on the other hand, heat may have played a part in it also.  I just wont be able to know until I start trying again for the 3.6 on air.

I know I am not the only one that has recently recieved a 3.6 oc.  I was really expecting 3.0-3.15,  3.6 was a very pleasant surprise.  I also know, that DS, does not have the manhours to do what I have been doing the last 2.5 days.  If they had to devote the time you could have probably tacked another 500 bux onto the cost of the rig, and more days in stage 2 and 3.  I am confident that if and when I run into that proverbial brick wall, that DS will be there for me to help me pick up the pieces and get me back on my feet.

On an extreme oc such as the 3.6 there could possibly be an upgraded northbridge and cpu cooler, I know there are other options out there.  But when it hits the test bench, and its obvious that the box can run that fast, all it takes is a phone call from DS to tell you that the Arctic 7 may not get the job done well enough.  I would have popped for an extra 30-50 bux in a heartbeat!  Liquid cooling on the other hand is not for me.  To much maintenance and to many things can go wrong.  Plus the cost involved.

Sorry for going on like this, just wanted you all to know where I stand.

Roger
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 5:36pm
These are just my personal and probably ill-informed opinions:

First, I still believe that running the current 65 nm Intel CPUs at 1.5 V and above falls into the category of, "Don't try this at home, kids". If the guys at DSO believe they can do it for their customers, great. They're the pros and the ones who warrantee the hardware for 3 years. However, you've got to be willing to accept some extreme conditions to go with an extreme overclock.

A few months ago, DSO was getting beat up by some customers because the overclocks they received did not meet their expectations. For the Q6600, in particular, some folks were under the impression that the CPUs could (easily?) be run at 3.6 GHz on air. I'd also bet you that some of DSO's competitors were pushing the chips that hard without regard for stability. As a result, I suspect that DSO has become more agressive in their overclocking.

So, many customers might be satisfied, or even delighted, with Roger's system the way it was originally configured. "Complete Stability" is a subjective state. If you can play Crysis on a system for several hours at a time without problems, that would be considered stable enough for many, but not everybody. Ultimately, like Roger, you've got to tweak your rig to meet your expectations and tolerances.

Duh!

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 5:40pm
I think the main thing with liquid cooling is the price tag. I'm sure everyone would *love* to drop $900 on a dual loop cooling system to run their SLi rigs to the wall, but this is not within the realm of reality for many. Even $300 for a CPU only cooling solution would cause the price of a system to go from affordable to out of reach for some buyers.

Considering the addition of a couple of high CFM fans and a higher performance CPU HSF can be done for under $100, I don't see where liquid cooling is required. I derive a sense of accomplishment from a successful attempt to adjust or tune my machine to ever higher levels of performance. I simply disagree with the notion that something cannot be improved upon, and could not envision spending $250+ on an enthusiast motherboard, designed from the ground up to support end user tweaking and customization and then leaving it be. I would view that as "missing something". Others are fine with that, and that's great. Systems like the ones DSO builds can be many things to many users.

Roger View Drop Down

Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2008 at 10:19am
Well guys, 

I think my quest of 3.2 is complete.  With a 1.35 vcore and 8x multi, its rock solid stable at this point.  Temps held steadily at 58-59 for an extended run of Prime 95 for 22.5 hours.  (Shut it down when I left for work this morning)

It was pretty cool tho, Prime 95 crunching Small FFT's, Browsing the web, and playing COD4 on High settings all at the same time, the box never broke stride,  I wonder if there were any left over CPU cycles while I was doing all that?  lol

Think when I get my raid arrays set up, im going to try and tackle the 3.6 again with some better cooling.  Thanks all for your help.

Roger.
 Post Reply Post Reply