FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

a rig after xmas

Post Date: 2010-12-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123 4>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Book View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Book Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: a rig after xmas
    Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 6:02pm
Budget:
for budget I am looking for something less than 4k.

Expectations:
I want MAD performance but don't want to break the bank (understanding that those two things may be mutually exclusive]

Usage:
gaming (mmorpg's, FPS[battlefield and CoD0]) and some image manipulation with CS3

Special Needs:
no monitor, leaning towards ATI, dual cd/dvd, no lc if possible

Saved Ticket #: 470576

Specifications:
[Please Type Here]

Thanks

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 6:05pm
what is the res of the monitor you want to have this MAD performance on?
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 10:05pm
heres a build to get you started

if you are more of an ati fan, check out some of thier newer card reviews and see if you want to go that way instead

you could add an SSD with your budget, but keep in mind the impact of this on your gaming is slim, basically just makes your windows and media editing snappier

you could also consider a sound card if you are a gaming enthusiast, just make sure you have some decent headphones or speakers to get use out of it

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 10:19pm
the build ender has posted for you can be overkill, the only way to know that is if we know your resolution, if you have a res of 1600 x 1200, one of those cards is a waste.

so tell us your resolution first and instead of loading you with loads of power you may endup never needing/using, we can tailor one that is suited for you, and one that can hanlde what you throw at it, and won't waste any of your money, I mean just because you got the budget, it does not mean you want to throw the money away, unless you do, then let me know, cause that would be a whole different kind of build, lol

Once I know your resolution, I can show you what you need to have MAD power in both ait and nvidia, then you can decide which way to go.

Edited by DST4ME - 20 Dec 2010 at 12:34am
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by !ender_

heres a build to get you started

if you are more of an ati fan, check out some of thier newer card reviews and see if you want to go that way instead

Now your not anti-ATI, that is interesting.

you could add an SSD with your budget, but keep in mind the impact of this on your gaming is slim, basically just makes your windows and media editing snappier

While it does decrease load times, it in no way increases how quickly you can edit something.

you could also consider a sound card if you are a gaming enthusiast, just make sure you have some decent headphones or speakers to get use out of it

If you're an audiophile with very expensive headphones or speakers yes, a sound card would probably be a good investment.  However if you aren't, or don't have the equipment, you wont notice much of a difference.

Edited by venom - 19 Dec 2010 at 11:17pm
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 1:15am
I am by no means pushing ATI, he said he likes ATI, so to avoid getting flamed for telling him to choose nvidia INSTEAD of ATI, I suggested checking out the benchmarks.
Obviously, that didnt work. So since you are going to be annoying about it either way:
Book, I'd reccomend Nvidia over ATI as thier drivers are far more dependable.

SSDs impact media editing becuase of access times, obviously it depends on the size of the file, but the impact there is more worth mentioning than how it would help gaming... since it pretty much doesnt. Notice I didnt include it in the build, just giving him some information. Of course its not going to make his mouse and keyclicks faster with magic fairy dust. Only the unicorns in your 5870 giving you silky frames at the highest settings on every game can do that.

Book View Drop Down

Quote Book Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 3:19pm
2560 x 1440 27 inch monitor
...and no need to mock...
Book View Drop Down

Quote Book Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 3:22pm
And...I've heard that there are issues with open GL and NVIDIA. Is that true...or do I pay too much attention to hype :(
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 3:47pm
Nvidia:

Here you go Ticket# 470809 --- Price: $3060 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI 3 Edition (USB 3.0 & SATA 6Gb/s) (Model: 131-GT-E767)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Drive Force Series CSSD-F160GBP2-BRKT)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: FREE PROMO: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty

---------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------

ATI:

Here you go Ticket# 470810 --- Price: $3180 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI 3 Edition (USB 3.0 & SATA 6Gb/s) (Model: 131-GT-E767)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Drive Force Series CSSD-F160GBP2-BRKT)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x CrossFire Dual (ATI Radeon HD 6970 2GB)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: FREE PROMO: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty

now few things, I gave you a 1200w psu in case you might want to go tri sli/cf in the future, if you don't see that happening then drop the psu to 1000w corsair.

for HDD1 I gave you a 160GB intel ssd, if you think you don't need that much space for HDD1 then drop the size of the intel ssd to 80GB

ask as many questions as you have.

Book View Drop Down

Quote Book Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 5:26pm
So the SSD would be for the OS only and not other programs (Games or CS3)? Is there a benefit to running those items from an SSD as well? (Buying a larger SSD for the most used applications)

The other drive...Is it better (generally) to have 1 large drive (for searches and such) than two smaller drives? Or is there no noticeable difference?

I like the larger PSU because I have had 2 computers in the past that have gone down with undersized PSUs.

What about the HAF X case? I understand that it is roomier and has better airflow. Any truth to that?

Sound card will likely be added and maybe another optical drive...as well as office student.

Thanks for the input. Will be ordering when I get back from xmas...:)

ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 5:36pm
You can load games and programs generally on the SSD as well. Anything loaded on a SSD will generally load much faster than it would on a standard HDD.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Book View Drop Down

Quote Book Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 6:33pm
So...what single thing (processor, RAM, etc...) would be the one thing to change in this (or any) build that would increase gaming speed?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 6:41pm
HDD1 = fast small drive: os/apps/games

HDD2 = regular large drive: media/personal/work file storage

hafx is the same as 932, its a tab bit longer, and 2 of its fan is smaller, in short the 932 gives you the same.

if you have a use for a sound card, go for it.

gaming-wise nothing else will get you better performance.

Our pleasure and good luck

Edited by DST4ME - 20 Dec 2010 at 6:42pm
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 6:48pm
more powerful GPU, and more GPU's would be all that you could do to get more gaming powa
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 4:12am

I am by no means pushing ATI, he said he likes ATI, so to avoid getting flamed for telling him to choose nvidia INSTEAD of ATI, I suggested checking out the benchmarks.
Obviously, that didnt work. So since you are going to be annoying about it either way:
Book, I'd reccomend Nvidia over ATI as thier drivers are far more dependable.

Does dependability require multiple updates per month because something breaks in the first official release?  I'm surprised that's your only argument against ATI is their drivers.

SSDs impact media editing becuase of access times, obviously it depends on the size of the file, but the impact there is more worth mentioning than how it would help gaming... since it pretty much doesnt. Notice I didnt include it in the build, just giving him some information. Of course its not going to make his mouse and keyclicks faster with magic fairy dust. Only the unicorns in your 5870 giving you silky frames at the highest settings on every game can do that.

If you are working with 2K or 4K video sure, it would greatly help.  But standard 1080p or below, would still see an increase, though I don't think it'd justify the price.

I didn't say silky, I said acceptable, e.g. 30fps+.  Thanks for the good laugh though.

Edited by venom - 21 Dec 2010 at 4:12am
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 7:01am
Originally posted by venom

I didn't say silky, I said acceptable, e.g. 30fps+.  Thanks for the good laugh though.

The entire heart of why my build method trumps yours for gamers.

I can just imagine a banner for the venom and DST custom computer company:
Acceptable FPS to be on-par with the competition!

Enjoy games at Playable Smoothness! FPS on-par with your television!

Buy today! Be behind the game yesterday!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 7:19am
LOL and yours would be

Throw your money away by getting hardware you will never notice difference from.

Future proof your pc, just like everybody who got a sli 275 at 1600 x 1200, when they didn't need sli, notice how future proof they are, specially with DX11.GO BIG OR GO HOME.

Buy now and throw your money away on stuff you will never notice the difference form

Do you play WOW at 1600 x 1200? Well then we got a dual sli 580 gtx thats just right for you, don't settle for smooth gaming, go for overkill, you want 200fps on your 60hz monitor, GO BIG OR GO HOME.

GO BIG OR GO HOME.WASTE BIG AND GO HOME

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Dec 2010 at 7:38am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 9:32am
whats with all the Bender hate??
If you have the budget, why not go overkill? especially on the GPU(s)?
Things change, a person might be playing on a 17" monitor, and then play on a PC that is running a 30", or try 120Mhz monitors for some 3D stuff, or multi monitor gaming, and be blown away by the gaming experience, and get themselves a a 30 incher,or more extreme monitor(s) setup.  then what? find out they can't play their games any longer on decent settings?  what if a new game comes out that the person wants to play, but has to run it on console level settings just to make it playable?  Things change, and yes it is a great thing to get the most performance out of our hard earned dollars, but anyone who has been around high performance anything, cars, bikes, woman, ect knows the price to performance ratio, and it gets bad at the highest end.
The budget should be a big part of the parts selection IMHO.
Look at the people that paid outrageous amounts for the GTX 8800 ultra(s) stupid high priced, but yet 2 of them in SLI was a good gaming setup for how many years??
We all have our opinions, and different experience/ability levels with these dollar draining boxes, but, can't we keep the gentle prodding of each other down to just that, Bender has been bitch slapped too many times lately, and he only deserved 1/2 of them Hahaha
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 9:44am
justin if you play wow at 1600 x 1200 why would you need sli 570? nothings

if the user has 120hz and 3d that is a different story, wer are talking about wow on 1600 x 1200 monitor.

On top of that the user needs to know that he is getting overkill, giving people overkill and calling it future proof is pure BS, just like 270 gtx sli is future proof right now with dx11.

the problem here is not advising more power to people that have a use for it with a 30" monitor and etc, the problem here is telling people that have said they don't want to upgrade their 1600 x 1200 monitor to get sli 570, specially when they will get minimum of 50fps in those games at that res.

Some people do have use for dual/tri sli, but you can't give everybody sli 570 regardless of what monitor they go and if they want to upgrade it in the future or not, without explaining to them that differences properly, aka its a waste.

as for things changing, that is why we buy the pc here at DS, so we can change/upgrade parts, and before we decide people can't turn a doorknob or change/upgrade a gpu, lets ask them instead of deciding for them. Its wrong to assume that people can't change their gpu or will buy things later, instead we can simply ask and get the facts from the user.

If dx11.1 and 12 are part of the future, than how can you be future proof when dx11.1 and 12 are around the corner, and current cards don't support it.

and its not ender hating, its called wasting your money without explaining it to you hating.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Dec 2010 at 10:26am
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:45am
@ Cranky Tech types

Thoughts for the week:

1.  Holiday Season,
2.  Peace on earth and good will towards man
3.  Helping someone make informed decisions
4.  Putting aside differences.

@Book,  pretty much no matter if you go ATi or Nvidia  once you get the base system with a good CPU (In this case an Intel Quad core of some sort or better)
The best thing you can do for gaming performance is to add GPU power SLI or CrossFire  Dual SLI or CF is good for most things Triple cards have more power but are not really bang per buck effective....so if you have the cash go for it....  Oh and there are issues involved with 3 or 4 GPU card setups, people experience various driver issues,  with SOME games....however I believe that is mostly a temporary issue which will get resolved.  Please note unlike others here I am stating openly this is OPINION, other have different ideas.  This philosophy works for me, I hope it is useful info for you.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 11:03am
Originally posted by DST4ME

justin if you play wow at 1600 x 1200 why would you need sli 570? nothings

if the user has 120hz and 3d that is a different story, wer are talking about wow on 1600 x 1200 monitor.

On top of that the user needs to know that he is getting overkill, giving people overkill and calling it future proof is pure BS, just like 270 gtx sli is future proof right now with dx11.

the problem here is not advising more power to people that have a use for it with a 30" monitor and etc, the problem here is telling people that have said they don't want to upgrade their 1600 x 1200 monitor to get sli 570, specially when they will get minimum of 50fps in those games at that res.

Some people do have use for dual/tri sli, but you can't give everybody sli 570 regardless of what monitor they go and if they want to upgrade it in the future or not, without explaining to them that differences properly, aka its a waste.

as for things changing, that is why we buy the pc here at DS, so we can change/upgrade parts, and before we decide people can't turn a doorknob or change/upgrade a gpu, lets ask them instead of deciding for them. Its wrong to assume that people can't change their gpu or will buy things later, instead we can simply ask and get the facts from the user.

If dx11.1 and 12 are part of the future, than how can you be future proof when dx11.1 and 12 are around the corner, and current cards don't support it.

and its not ender hating, its called wasting your money without explaining it to you hating.
But   what about playing other games? I know some will get a PC just for WOW, but, sooner or later they will play other games, then what? a new PC?
wasting money is subjective, especially with high end, purpose built PC's. lol 
 I agree with you, but. lol Big%20Smile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 11:25am
Same thing for other games, many games at 1600 x 1200 will have 50 fps minimum, again a simple question of what games you gonna be playing takes care of the situation, in the future should the need for more gpu power arise, they just drop another or a newer gpu in, again lets ask the user, do you mind upgrading gpu or do you not feel comfortable, couple of simple questions like that can filter out lot of stuff quickly, and at least separate the waste-s from sli candidates, why would they need a new pc, the config we are talking about can handle a new gpu or sli should the need be there, there is just no need to spend extra $400 or more when you have no use for it now.

also its good to be honest with the user and not call overkill future proof.

pass that I got not problems with sli/cf for the people that need/have use for it or ask for it knowing what they are getting into.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Dec 2010 at 11:32am
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 8:16pm
its so funny to watch you shape things in to what you want them to be, the poster you keep minlessly raving in the "defense" of said, and i quote
Originally posted by Druzil1

I mostly use my computer to play World of Warcraft, FPS, and some strategy games (SC2). I would like to spend about $2500 on a system, but can go up to about $3000.

Which, over the course of a week, you managed to change into just WoW and SC2, and now.... its just WoW.

One would think that after linking this thread north of 10 times you might have actually READ IT. Alas, that is not how delusion works.
As I've already pointed out way too many times, and now justin is trying to as well, almost no one who buys a gaming pc will stick to only the games that are out when they buy thier PC. It seems you never stop to think that just maybe some people dont find under 60 FPS to be "good" fps, especially not when dropping multiple thousands of dollars on a new toy. Or that maybe, some time in the future (or now) they might want to upgrade thier monitor. Or hell, maybe thier taste in games will even change, maybe they will get sick of WoW and move to demanding FPS games.
The only reason I post my "one size fits all", as you so eloquently put it, suggestion is because that setup is under most of the recently advertised budgets, and I would call that the minimum power to get for a gamer looking to spend $2400+ on a gaming rig.

And its nothing close to wasting anyones money because 1) I pretty much never (unless it is very close and they have high demand) build over a poster's budget and 2) stacking video power for a gaming build is not wasting money, its investing money in having your gaming PC punish games for a long time and 3) a waste insinuates the build wouldnt do what it is purchased for, which it certainly will. Where the market is right now (video game demand vs hardware) there just isnt a single card that will plow all the big title games and certainly not a card that has a chance at holding good fps for long in to the future.

"they just drop another or a newer gpu in"
Again you admit that you are limiting posters.... well, admit it to everyone but yourself. Sure! save money just to spend.. it.. later?
But even better in your case, they can "drop" in a new GPU and throw out the old one! ByeBye several hundred dollars!
Gosh, you are really amazing at saving money.

Edited by !ender_ - 21 Dec 2010 at 8:40pm
dodgers2213 View Drop Down

Quote dodgers2213 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 8:42pm
this bickering has to stop. Post your suggestions, explain them, then let the buyer choose which one he feels is best based on the information presented

there is a right way to debate and a wrong way

Edited by dodgers2213 - 21 Dec 2010 at 8:43pm
WardTheSteak View Drop Down

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 8:43pm
Yet what you forget to do when you go through those threads ender is read the fact that the person with the 1600x1200 setup was never going to upgrade his monitor.  He simply didn't want to.  The other guy was going to in the future upgrade to an HDTV.  Honestly justin would you recommend sli or cf for these resolutions??  Especially when the budget isn't the highest, or if they wanna save money.  Also, if you did recommend sli why the gtx 570's, that is overkill for these budgets when you have the 570's outperforming the 480's in most new games.  Why not make a cheaper solution like CF 6950's, which are in a price point of their own right now.  But, I'm sorry right now there isn't a reason to push a dual gpu solution on these low resolutions, and when it does get stressful later on they can just go with the newest latest gpu with the newer version of DX on it which could be way more important than having a dual setup.  Dual setups have their uses, but there are some situations where you honestly shouldn't suggest them.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:04pm
Both sc2 and wow dont' need sli, at 1600 x 1200 sc2 get over 45 to 55 fps minimum, so no need for sli and the person said they will not upgrade monitor.

since when is adding a gpu limiting people, on what planet is that limiting people?

lol its funny that you talking aobut bye bye several hundereds of dollars when you do that for them right off the bat, at least with me they get a chance to not lose that much money, you lose them upfront for them.

I didn't see any users you recommended say that 50 fps minimum was not good for them.

@dodgers2213, that is the problem, ender's idea of explaing sli to a person that does not need it, is to tell the person its future proof, when in fact its pure waste. so the problem here is that ender does not make the user aware of what is going on, instead he misleads them to think they are futuer proof, he never once tells the person that you have no use for the second card, or that there is no such thing as future proof, when dx and all kinds of stuff is consistently changing.

everybody knows that one size does not fit all, specially when you don't even ask the user what the games are, what the res is and etc.

one size fits all = flawed logic

spend it now on stuff you don't need now = flawed logic.

thinking that more options in the future is a bad idea = flawed logic.

not understanding that what we think are good fps, has nothing to do with what in fact is good fps on a 60hz monitor = flawed logic.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Dec 2010 at 10:10pm
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:09pm
argh, can we please get this resolved somewhere else where the customer is NOT caught in the midst of this and gets lost of which direction to go? after Alex closed that thread, it's been going on and on in other threads, I think a single, all out thread is really the only way this is gonna get resolved...but that's just my opinion.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:12pm
I believe I answered all of the OP's (Book) questions.

its not gonna get resovled, cause ender is never gonna admit that more options = the better choice, and that games like wow and sc2 at 1600 x 1200 don't need sli or cf, not to mention many other games.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Dec 2010 at 10:12pm
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:17pm
meh, unfortunately I'm going to have to agree with you on that it's not gonna get resolved from what I'm seeing (in other threads)

Edited by ablahblah - 21 Dec 2010 at 10:38pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:37pm
NO its not and my biggest concern is that some people might endup listening to him and get sli when they dont' need it, and endup wasting their money. those that understand what they are getting into I'm not concerned about but people like that guys with sc2 and wow and 1600 x 1200 are getting taken for a ride by this guy.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Dec 2010 at 10:38pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 11:10pm
with SC2 GTX 570 at that res will AVG 40 FPS with GTX 570 at max settings, well not max, but higher settings, min 25-30.. not very fluid, so back down settings, or go SLI Big%20Smile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 11:13pm
justin the benchmarks I have seen show differently, teh res we are talking about is 1600 x 1200 in that thread and for that res:

minimum of 47 is pretty fluid, also look at what sli does for it, look at sli 480, it clearly shows sli for sc2 at that res is pointless.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Dec 2010 at 11:14pm

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:35am
My friend has SC2 at 1600x1200 with a gtx 470, and has SC2 maxed and doesn't have a blip in his gameplay at all, it's ultra smooth.

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:40am
Look at the GTX 470, again this isn't even the current more powerful tech and they run these resolutions fine.

1920 x 1200

Edited by WardTheSteak - 22 Dec 2010 at 12:40am

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:42am
Fast forward a little bit, and this is what you get. 

1680 x 1050

1920 x 1200

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>