Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: A Storm is Brewing
    Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 1:53pm
We've been burning the midnight oil working on an epic new product; can you guess what it is? Check out the article on DS Unlocked (http://www.digitalstormonline.com/unlocked/article.asp?ID=16) Big%20Smile
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 2:18pm
What a tease.Big%20Smile
From the pic, I'd guess an epic tower with a home defense system built in.Whoa
.30-06 maybe ???  Crazy   LOL

Edited by bprat22 - 06 Jan 2012 at 2:35pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 3:17pm
Digital Storm Umbrellas?

Those would be cool for all sorts of obvious reasons Hahaha
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 5:25pm
Here's a image of a new REV2 of Cryo-TEC that our team is working on. This isn't even the big news, however, it's still awesome! There's something even bigger and special that we're working on than just a cooling system.

Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 5:45pm
Digital Storm Bobble-Heads?

I can keep guessing all day long Big%20Smile
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 6:00pm
Digital Storm Balloons.        Ya can't keep messing with us like this.   Igotsta know.
sdwas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 4:11pm
I'm going to go with the DigitalStormDatingSite.com. They already know at least one level of compatibility with its members. What prize do I win for the correct guess?
Dranzogger View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 11:00pm
Digital storm waffle maker. Comes with a 570 built in so you can game while waffling.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Dranzogger

Digital storm waffle maker. Comes with a 570 built in so you can game while waffling.

I like your style.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 2:20am
Hey guys, I'm back from CES, here's a sneak peek at whats in progress, CNET posted this recently: http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33372_1-57357140/digital-storm-steps-up-its-boutique-pc-game-with-first-custom-chassis/
AndydViking View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 3:22am
Nice!!!!!!!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 10:38am
Looks awesome !  Awesome
Better save my pennies.Big%20Smile
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 12:18pm
Hi Alex,

Congratulations on the new case. When will you post some pictures so we can see the layout better? What does the other side look like?

Frank
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 3:31pm
But can it waffle?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 4:14pm
We'll be posting full pictures etc once the unit is ready to launch. That was an early prototype being shown at CES. ETA is about a month. Cool
jmaster299 View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 5:03am
Why does that pick look frighteningly like it's a reverse opening case (right side instead of normal left side) with a 90 degree turn on the mobo? Do we need to list the reasons why those are terrible ideas? Cases and designs that don't fit the standard form factor (mobo turned the correct way, opening on the left and not the right) have never done really well.

There typically ends up being issues with certain parts not fitting and it's limits choice people have as customers. The Raven is a perfect example of just such a design failure restricting things due to their size because the mobo is turned 90 degrees.

I know you people have all your experience and everything but history shows that unconventional designs like that don't work. They don't work because the industry is unwilling to build special parts just to fit special cases.

I'd have to wait to see the specs but I'm already suspicious about that thing requiring dual PSUs. That alone hints at a design flaw issue that it's not capable of using large 1200w PSUs and requires two smaller PSUs like the Hailstorm.

Edited by jmaster299 - 13 Jan 2012 at 5:07am

surf71zx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 9:53am
Originally posted by jmaster299

Why does that pick look frighteningly like it's a reverse opening case (right side instead of normal left side) with a 90 degree turn on the mobo? Do we need to list the reasons why those are terrible ideas? Cases and designs that don't fit the standard form factor (mobo turned the correct way, opening on the left and not the right) have never done really well.

There typically ends up being issues with certain parts not fitting and it's limits choice people have as customers. The Raven is a perfect example of just such a design failure restricting things due to their size because the mobo is turned 90 degrees.

I know you people have all your experience and everything but history shows that unconventional designs like that don't work. They don't work because the industry is unwilling to build special parts just to fit special cases.

I'd have to wait to see the specs but I'm already suspicious about that thing requiring dual PSUs. That alone hints at a design flaw issue that it's not capable of using large 1200w PSUs and requires two smaller PSUs like the Hailstorm.
surf71zx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 10:04am
I dont think it requires dual PSUs,only if running CRYO-TEC cooling system .Its able to support dual PSUs if necessary.Thats what I think there trying to state in the description of the case.Dont be so skeptical.After all, Iam sure D.S. weighed the PROS and CONS before releasing.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 10:19am
I thought it looked like the case was laid out in reverse with the window on the right side. That is why I wanted to see a picture of the other side. It also looks like the MoBo is turned. The vents along the bottom might be a good idea if we could put 240mm Rads turned on edge so they blow out the side.

We will just have to wait for the pictures before final judgment. It looks really big.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 13 Jan 2012 at 10:23am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 12:38pm
Cool

bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by surf71zx

I dont think it requires dual PSUs,only if running CRYO-TEC cooling system .Its able to support dual PSUs if necessary.Thats what I think there trying to state in the description of the case.Dont be so skeptical.After all, Iam sure D.S. weighed the PROS and CONS before releasing.

Well the article specifically says it's running dual PSUs and the only reason you would run two PSUs is because you are using a case the is poorly designed and is incapable of using a single larger PSU. A single, larger, PSU is often a better choice since it's typically in the larger PSUs where you see the best quality being offered. A single large Gold rated PSU vs two smaller Silver rated PSUs. The Gold rated PSU being more energy efficient and often having a better warranty.

If they are running a new/different update to the CRYO-TEC system that uses so much power that it can't be safely run on a single 1200w PSU then I would consider that a design flaw as well.

Running your CPU at below freezing temps in no way boosts the performance or lifespan of your system. You will exceed the safe limit for the VCORE before you exceed the safe limit for temps on an extremely overclocked CPU.

My skepticism is well placed and is based on a long history of gimmick cases that never do well for very long, if it all.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 2:45pm
There's always a difference between customers that want "bang for buck" performance and a lean machine. The new upcoming unit is being designed for the most extreme systems, for ultra high-end builds. I'm talking about things such as isolated cooling zones, support for three triple 140mm radiators, etc...

bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 3:08pm
What part of that required you to build it wrong though? That's what I'm curious about, how or why you could not accomplish that with a properly mounted MOBO and a proper left side opening case?

There is plenty you can remove/change in a proper case design in order to open enough room for extra hardware. The optical drive and HDD racks for one are way too much in many cases, cut those in half and you open up tons of room for your extra radiators with out having to mount the MOBO incorrectly.

Edited by jmaster299 - 13 Jan 2012 at 3:12pm

Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by FrankW

We will just have to wait for the pictures before final judgment.

That's what I'm thinking, I'm curious to see the setup!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 4:37pm
Dying to see how this all comes together.      Spec sheets can be a real turn on.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 10:37pm
Just noticed this, lemme guess, TJ11?

Way to beat MG at their custom case game, heh, I never understood why they still used the RV01s. A TJ11 should kick some serious ass with that internal quad rad space Drooling. Or does the second PSU eat up that room...?

Is that also a Cryo-TEC LED display mounted flush with the side panel too? That's SICK...I haven't located yet another vendor that does that, in-house TEC cooling with real-time, in-line, integral temp readout.

I'm also noticing that tri-rad on the back..so this is running a quad and a tri, and I'm assuming the fourth tri 140mm is lodged somewhere near the dual 180mm main fans?

And I'm going to assume there are some hot swap bays, possibly with epic DigitalStorm logos etched into them, behind that front door.

Can't wait!

*feel free to take down some of that if I'm right >.>

*voila

EDIT :: aaah, I see that quad rad Ninja...wait, no it's a trip, the PSU is there too. definitely looks like a TJ11 base, though with a lot more modding and custom fabbing than I thought!

Edited by ablahblah - 23 Jan 2012 at 10:57pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 5:31am
Hi ablahblah,

Thanks for posting that video. I haven't seen you posting as much lately. Or, am I just missing your post? I always appreciate your input.

Frank
surf71zx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 7:03am
Originally posted by ablahblah

Just noticed this, lemme guess, TJ11?

Way to beat MG at their custom case game, heh, I never understood why they still used the RV01s. A TJ11 should kick some serious ass with that internal quad rad space Drooling. Or does the second PSU eat up that room...?

Is that also a Cryo-TEC LED display mounted flush with the side panel too? That's SICK...I haven't located yet another vendor that does that, in-house TEC cooling with real-time, in-line, integral temp readout.

I'm also noticing that tri-rad on the back..so this is running a quad and a tri, and I'm assuming the fourth tri 140mm is lodged somewhere near the dual 180mm main fans?

And I'm going to assume there are some hot swap bays, possibly with epic DigitalStorm logos etched into them, behind that front door.

Can't wait!

*feel free to take down some of that if I'm right >.>

*voila

EDIT :: aaah, I see that quad rad Ninja...wait, no it's a trip, the PSU is there too. definitely looks like a TJ11 base, though with a lot more modding and custom fabbing than I thought!
surf71zx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 7:07am
Awesome video! Thank you for posting.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 10:06am
There's a lot more to this new system. That was an early prototype. We've re-fabricated the entire chassis after the show and made new updates to the unit. Big%20Smile
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 10:09am
Hi Alex, we are still waiting for pictures.

Frank
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 10:10am

I can't share just yet. Cool

Bloodluster1 View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 10:45am
Can you share the price point you guys are shooting for with this new system? I've heard you say its for ultra-highend builds, so do you guys plan to add it to the custom line up or just totally replace the current Cryo-TEC builds with the new system?

Can't wait for pictures though... Drooling
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 12:14pm
Soon, soon!
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 1:30pm
This is starting to remind me of my days back on the World of Warcraft forums. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>