FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Tough Decision

Post Date: 2018-10-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
txfeinbergs View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: A Tough Decision
    Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 11:41am
I have two Digital Storm systems that I have purchased over the last 15 years, but I am having to give another company a shot for the third despite really wanting to order from here. I am posting this such that DS might take some notes.

1. Prices. Your AMD pricing is not realistic (it is funny though because as I write this, it looks like you might have finally lowered your prices on Ryzen systems). In my case though, I was able to get a Threadripper 2950X system with identical components for over $1000 cheaper from a competitor.
2. Your inability to release systems you announce almost TWO YEARS ago. I was waiting on Project Modena... and waiting.... and waiting. I finally gave up.
3. You are usually slow to update your site when new HW becomes available i.e. after the launch i.e. availability of the 2950X Threadripper, you still hadn't updated your site to include it for over a week whereas your competition had it the same day.
4. Your lack of a closed loop cooler for Threadripper systems that actually offers full IHS coverage i.e. processor coverage.

Complaint over. I figure I have a 60/40 crapshoot with the company I went with to provide a reliable system. If they succeed great, if not, I will run back here real quick because what you do get from Digital Storm is rock solid reliability.

My New System:

BLUETOOTH: None
CABLE: None
CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
CARE2: Cooler Master Mastergel Maker CPU-Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
CAS: Cooler Master COSMOS C700P RGB E-ATX Super Tower Modular design, Aluminum handlebars & Dual-curved Tempered Glass Side Panel [+117]
CASUPGRADE: None
CC: None
CD: None [-68]
CD2: None
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X 3.5GHz [4.4GHz Turbo] Sixteen-Core 32MB L3 Cache 180W Processor [-900]
CS_FAN: Default case fans
ENGRAVING: None
EVGA_POWER: None
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Enermax LIQTECH TR4 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler w/ Full AMD Threadripper IHS Coverage [+64] (2 x Standard 140MM Fans)
FLASHMEDIA: None
FREEBIE_MN: None
FREEBIE_SSD: Free 2TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive with Single SSD Purchase for all Desktops
FREEBIE_VC: None
FREEBIE_WAP: None
HDD: 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 3500/2500 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 500/450k [+183] (Single Drive)
HDD2: None [-96]
HEADSET: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: None [-5]
MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR4/3200MHz Quad Channel Memory [-100] (GSKILL Ripjaws V [+20])
MICROPHONE: None
MONITOR: None
MOPAD: None
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Prime X399-A E-ATX w/ RGB, Intel Gb LAN, USB 3.1, 4 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x1, 1 PCIe x4, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe, 1x U.2 [-54]
MOUSE: None [-3]
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - EVGA 850W GQ 80 Plus Gold Power Supply [+4]
PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
PROJECTOR: None
RUSH: Standard processing time: ship within 10 to 12 Business Days
SERVICE: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
SLI_BRIDGE: None
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: GeForce(R) RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6 (Turing) [VR Ready] (Single Card)
WARRANTY: PREMIUM WARRANTY: Standard 1 Year Parts WARRANTY + ONE (1) YEAR SHIPPING [+19]
WNC: None
WTV: None
_PRICE: (+3804)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
                           Coupon: SPRING0410 (5% Discount)   $-190.20
                                                  SUBTOTAL $3,613.80
                                           Sales Tax (N/A)      $0.00
                                       Shipping: UPS Ground     $75.00
----------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                GRAND TOTAL $3,688.80
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:34pm
You gotta do what you have to.   If the service and build quality is where we expect it, then you made a good call. Service is a tough one to compare, since all issues are different and it might be a year or two until any support is needed, with any luck.

I wish you a problem free rig.   

I’d love to ask who you ordered with, but they’ll delete it for obvious reasons.

Have fun.

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 12:20pm
So an update. My new system arrived yesterday and I have to say I would not order from CP again. If you don't know how to build a computer from scratch, don't order from CP because you are going to be doing a lot of "fixing" when you get the system. Problems with my system:

1. Legs had fallen off case. Blame this on transport, but DS systems are packaged a LOT better.
2. None of the fans were working except for the CPU closed loop system.
3. None of the LEDs were working.
4. The memory was only set to 2200 Mhz instead of 3200Mhz which is what I ordered.
5. Not possible to get to 3200 Mhz on memory, the best I can get is 2800 mhz (good enough for me) especially after I almost bricked system but was able to short two pins together to get BIOS working again.
6. Memory was not installed in correct slots according to motherboard book.
7. Hard drive support had to be bent back into place.
8. Wrong graphics card was sent, but equivalent, so don't care I guess. Ended up with a Giga Byte brand instead of Nvidia Founders Edition.
9. Two of the USB ports on the front panel of the case were not connected.
10. BIOS had not been updated and was running original version.

I definitely was not expecting this level of stress. The good news is that after 12 hours I have corrected everything and the system appears to be very stable. (which is good because it weighs 60 lbs and I really didn't want to have to return it).

I learned my lesson.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 12:47pm
Sorry to hear.    That builder doesn’t have a good reputation at all.   Poor build quality, swap parts , etc.     Luckily for you , you have the know how to fix what’s wrong.    Can you imagine going thru them or worse, having to send it to them.

This is why we always recommend DS.    IS DS perfect? No.   But they are Always there to help.    Their quality of assembly and testing is honed over many years.   Things can and do go wrong, but your chances are so much higher here of getting a great rig.

Buying the cheapest build with what seems to be the same parts is very tempting. But let’s face it.   How can one company build it so much cheaper?   Something is cut somewhere.

Good luck and hope it runs a good long life for you.   
Fishman23 View Drop Down

Quote Fishman23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 12:13pm
Likewise, glad you had the knowledge to fix it up yourself.

Certainly validates my DS purchase in July. I keep saying it but my expectations were exceeded.

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 12:38pm
I tell you what. These Ryzen/Threadripper systems are picky as hell when it comes to memory timings and voltage. You had better make sure you are purchasing off of the QVL list or you are going to have problems. The memory I ordered was not on this list and likely contributed to my memory issues. I am now running 3200 Mhz with some TridentZ sticks. I knew I had a learning curve to go through switching from Intel to AMD after 30 years but I have now learned more about memory than I probably every wanted to. With Intel systems I usually just stuck it in and it worked.

Edited by txfeinbergs - 23 Oct 2018 at 12:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply