FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Add new SSD

Post Date: 2019-09-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Threetall View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Threetall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Add new SSD
    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 6:20am
I have a Vanquish 4 - Level 3
 I use the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB as my C: (win10 Pro) drive. Its getting full despite my diligence.
I have a ASUS Z170-K mainboard ( https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-K/ )
It supports M-2 SSDs but its located next to and partially below the PCI Express card. I have a Geforce 2060 in that slot.

My questions are:
1 - Is heat a concern and could I alleviate it with a heat sink some of these M-2s offer, or will I be "sinking" that heat right into the graphics card environment?

2 - I would like to move the OS to the M-2 either by moving C; drive to the M-2 or merging the two SSD's. I know that either plan has block size as an issue so should I get a Samsung brand M-2 for the common software? Or is there an app that that considered best for this?

As always thanks in advance for your advice.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 1:47pm
We try to tell people how quickly a C Drive can fill up despite best intentions...lol.    It is said we all double our drive space needs roughly every two years.   Therefore, if you don’t want to be stuck dealing with this again in 2021...probably you will want a 1 TB size M.2 NVME SSD.

1) Heat is always a concern inside a PC case, but M.2 NVME SSD drives are the size of a pocket comb and I wouldn’t consider the heat they generate to be significant enough to cause any real concern.   Proper fan air circulation inside the case should disperse any heat just fine.    Your mobo has two M.2 slots parked between the PCIE slots, so just use the M.2 port furthest below / away from the GPU.

2) Samsung does make the better and most popular M.2 NVME SSD drives these days.    What you want to do is “Clone” your C drive and Op System onto the new larger M.2 NVME Drive.    Lots of Drive cloning software products out there for this purpose.     I have used and like Paragon Hard Disc Manager products for Drive cloning, but Acronis and AVG also make similar software utilities for Drive Cloning.    You can search on NewEgg or amazon to find lots of choices.   If you can follow software directions, you can clone a C drive onto a new one.
Threetall View Drop Down

Quote Threetall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 6:01am
I would be cloning from SATA to NVME. Can the software perform the necessary changes?

I only see one M.2 slot.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 1:14pm
You had best research the cloning software products websites to find the one you are most confidant using for this task of migrating the boot OS from your SSD to the M.2 NVME SSD     Most have support where you could ask questions or user forums where you could confirm exactly how the process would work in your case before buying the software. I placed some product links below.

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/lp/personal/sem?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9dyRoqLv5AIVUxx9Ch2c-QJwEAAYASABEgL-fPD_BwE

https://www.macrium.com/products/home

Sorry...1 port...You are correct...I must have looked at a different deluxe version of the mobo that had a second port below, but one M.2 slot is all that you will need.   
Threetall View Drop Down

Quote Threetall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 7:25am
Thanks for your responses.
 Post Reply Post Reply