FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adding a Second/ Replacing 2TB HDD

Post Date: 2021-03-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JamesRojas22 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JamesRojas22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Adding a Second/ Replacing 2TB HDD
    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 7:30am
I own a Level 4 Lynx that I’ve had since September of Last Year it’s amazing. I am now running out of space in the 2TB Seagate/Toshiba Storage. Should I add another HDD but make it bigger with a 10TB or just replace the 2TB with the 10TB. And if I can should I go through with it thru Digital Storm since I do not know how to do anything with a computer only how to turn it on play games on it and add files lol

THIS IS MY CONFIGURATION #. 3278926

Edited by JamesRojas22 - 26 Mar 2021 at 7:33am
Stellar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Stellar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 9:54am
You can easily do this yourself.

I would YouTube how to install a Hard Drive. All it takes is two cables, a SATA DATA & SATA power.

If you'd like to order the HDD through us, feel free to contact us.

If you ordered through an online e-tailer, feel free to contact us, we'd love to help you install it.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 4:27am
You'll boost performance a lot by shopping for about a 2TB SSD. That's a good price point online. More compact than a HDD with no moving parts, they are a snap to install, honestly. And DS will help.

Quote JamesRojas22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 1:35pm
@Cretae how do I do that cause I am not familiar with inside of a computer...

Quote JamesRojas22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Stellar

You can easily do this yourself.

I would YouTube how to install a Hard Drive. All it takes is two cables, a SATA DATA & SATA power.

If you'd like to order the HDD through us, feel free to contact us.

If you ordered through an online e-tailer, feel free to contact us, we'd love to help you install it.

How do I get an HDD from you guys ?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 4:31am
Originally posted by JamesRojas22

@Cretae how do I do that cause I am not familiar with inside of a computer...

Like Stellar said, Google online videos. "How do I install a hard drive?" Everyone was in your shoes once, but some things like RAM, hard drives, and GPUs are pretty easy to do. Basically, you open the case, find where it goes, fasten it down and plug it in.

Don't get another HDD unless you really like slow. A SATA solid state drive (SSD) is over 10 times faster and easier to work with. Don't use DS for a parts supplier, either. They have enough on their plate right now building to suit.

If you don't know ANYONE who could help you, and you never ordered anything online, go to Best Buy and get an SSD there and have them install it.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 7:27am
Hi

The best starting point on changing anything in your system is to get the motherboard's (mobo) manual that came in the box. It has everything related to your particular mobo with warnings and notices.

It has a section on installing graphic cards that you should read while looking at the pc. That way you will find what you are reading about and where things go and latches to unlatch/latch, screws to remove, etc.

Once you are familiar and ready to open the case up, DO remove any static electricity you have built in your body by touching the case (metal part) before opening. If there is a lot (you get shocked all the time touching metal surfaces) where you live, wear a wrist strap connected to the case. You will find it is very easy to r&r a video card.
Enjoy. Good luck.
Smile
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by JamesRojas22

I own a Level 4 Lynx that I’ve had since September of Last Year it’s amazing. I am now running out of space in the 2TB Seagate/Toshiba Storage. Should I add another HDD but make it bigger with a 10TB or just replace the 2TB with the 10TB. And if I can should I go through with it thru Digital Storm since I do not know how to do anything with a computer only how to turn it on play games on it and add files lol

THIS IS MY CONFIGURATION #. 3278926

Damn, that's a lot of space to use up in such a short amount of time! It took around several years for me to go from using under 100 Gb to having only 64 Gb free space on my 1 Tb hard drive. I soon found out I had over 500 Gb of cab files in my Windows\Temp directory. After moving all the files from my Windows\Logs\CBS file to an external drive, I deleted all of the cab files from the Windows\Temp directory and ended up with well over 600 Gb free space.

Unless its filled with nothing but games, some of the stuff you could probably just move to a 1-4 Tb USB drive.
If the data is mostly games, then yeah, you might want to think about going with a 4 Tb M.2 SSD. The good thing about it is you'll be able to uninstall any games you're not currently playing and free up space while being able to reinstall them much quicker later on if you decide to go back to them.
The one thing I hate with mechanical hard drives is when you have like 1 Gb or more worth of updates for a game, it can take forever...
 Post Reply Post Reply