FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice appreciated; new to PC gaming

Post Date: 2021-09-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Stewshine View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Stewshine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice appreciated; new to PC gaming
    Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 5:40pm
Hello!

After about a week of hovering over the checkout button, I've finally went through with purchasing a level 4 Lynx. I'm completely new to the PC gaming scene so I don't know what to expect nor do I know what else to setup along with the PC itself. Any advice for setting up my new PC with the proper equipment, advice on how not to make it spontaneously combust on the 1st day, or just general tips for someone new to PC gaming is highly appreciated!

And yes, I do understand I need a monitor to go with the PC itself so any recommendations for that is appreciated as well!
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 9:48pm
I think, this is a good starting point reference:

How to set up your first Digital Storm PC | YouTube

When checking or otherwise handling components, it's best practice to touch the computer case or other metal outside of the computer first to discharge static electricity.

You can use third-party anti-virus, anti-malware, etc programs. However, Microsoft's integrated Windows Defender is normally plenty. The best tool is being observant, rightfully cautious, and otherwise sensible.

Stay Safe from Phishing and Scams | YouTube
(Surprisingly, this video does very well pointing out the common social engineering methods.)

Speaking of software, what's your common usage? Knowing if you do a lot of word processing, primarily gaming, prefer first-person shooters or MMOs, do video or photo editing, that type of information can help us help you narrow down monitor selection and other accessories (if interested).
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 4:41am
Having a monitor is obviously essential to desktop computing, as there is no way to see any results from the computer without one. Your GPU is one of the most capable cards on the planet. It will tempt you to overreach for a very expensive monitor that may not be a good fit for your use.

The first decision is how large you want your monitor to be. This may be determined by how much space you have to work with. 27" (diagonal, like TVs) is pretty standard today. Compact enough to fit most spaces, but a decently large size for viewing up close as one typically does with a monitor. At that size, a flat panel (as opposed to curved) makes more sense.

There are three dominant screen resolutions that are popular today. That is basically how many individual pixels are packed into your screen in the size panel you have selected. They are: 1080p which is 1920X1080 pixels; 1440p which is 2560x1440; and "4K", which is 3840x2160. they go up in price with the pixel count. It takes a great deal of computing power to show images at 4K at the most pleasing image speeds for gaming.

IMHO, there is very little point in 4k gaming on a 27" screen. At the short distance one typically sits from a monitor, there is very little to discern between 4K and 1440p because the pixel density is very tight in either case. Testing has shown that most people prefer faster display speeds to tighter pixel density. At gaming speeds, the resolution doesn't get as much notice.

So where does that get YOU? You have one of the best GPUs on the planet, but it doesn't get really high framerates at 4K on the most popular games. 4K monitors capable of higher framerates are very expensive. I recommend a 1440p monitor in just about any size up to 38" (curved). That sweet spot will get you much higher framerates with your GPU at a more affordable resolution. There are a ton of 27" 1440p monitors around with refresh rates of 144-165Hz for under $400. Anything beyond those specs will cost you.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS778US778&sxsrf=AOaemvK4k6KuNDH92imUwWFKmEprm-lmWQ:1630841032677&q=1440p+1444hz&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjc-L-j3OfyAhWpSDABHSW9AN4QBSgAegQIARAv&biw=1732&bih=935

You want to look for IPS panels for better color and wider viewing angles. G-Synch COMPATIBLE is usually a little less expensive than Nvidia's G-Synch but doesn't hurt performance. G-Synch prevents screen tearing when the monitor and the GPU aren't fully in sync. Your card is so fast, it shouldn't happen anyway.

Hope it helps.
Stewshine View Drop Down

Quote Stewshine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 11:11am
Thank you for the advice!

As for my usage with the PC, it will primarily be used for gaming, typically FPS titles and simulators.

As for the monitor, there's plenty of space on my desk to fit a larger monitor, I feel like up to 32" would be good (I could fit much larger but at that point it would be overkill for me). What are some reliable options for a 32" monitor at 1440p?
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 2:18pm
I do concur with your choice of 1440p and even the 32" size target -- 27" is okay but >=32 does reach into the immersive section.

As fro personal recommendations... I can only give you a little anecdotal evidence. I have a 27" curved Samsung and a 32" curved Acer. Both are 1080p and neither is bad. However, with darker, solid imagery, there's very noticeable backlight bleed and some uniformity issues on the acer display. For me, the more expensive brand is of better quality. The fine print being this is only one instance. I don't upgrade stuff often, therefore, I don't have a lot of hands on with numerous models.

As to others' reviews.... I've heard/read primarily positive reviews of Dell monitors and rtings.com has seemingly very thorough testing. Overall, it's best to read/watch several reviews and cross your fingers for a good unit.

With that said, here are some products to consider:

Samsung Odyssey G7

LG 34GP83A-B

Alienware AW3420DW
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
ecophagyclass View Drop Down

Quote ecophagyclass Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 2:56am
My only advice is to enjoy it! However, you're in for a deep and long ride.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 4:20am
Those are very good monitors MrCheetah mentioned. The Alienware is now a Dell brand. I'll simply say that above 27", I think curved models do enhance immersion, and make it easier to take in more at a glance.
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 10:40am
When shopping for monitors, I always look for these features:

• Curved display if the monitor is 34" or larger
• Ultrawide aspect ratio if the monitor is 34" or larger
• IPS panel (these have better image quality)
• At least 1440 pixels vertically (1080 is fine for gaming, but not for productivity)
• GSync if you have an NVIDIA graphics card
• FreeSync if you have an AMD graphics card

If I'm looking for a GSync monitor, then I always consult this list. It's helpful if you sort the list by monitor size:

List of all GSync Monitors

And this is my favorite site for super-detailed monitor reviews:

RTINGS.com

I hope this helps!
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Stewshine View Drop Down

Quote Stewshine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 6:21pm
Thank you for all the suggestions thus far for monitors. Originally I had thought of going around brick and mortar stores (ie Best Buy, Micro Center) to find a monitor that way I didn't have to wait for it to ship assuming my PC would be shipped sooner since it's being shipped within the same state, but I just received the tracking number for it only to find out that it will take 5 days for FedEx to twiddle their thumbs together and eventually get the PC to my home
Out of my control or Digital Storm for that matter, and yeah, obviously Covid delays, but it does make me wonder why that long for a relatively short distance...

I'm still considering picking up a monitor at a physical place so I don't have to have to have constant anxiety while refreshing a tracking number page every few minutes or so but with that 5 day buffer, I'm also considering having one ordered online and (hopefully) shipped in time along with my PC.

The one I was originally eyeing was this one I found at a local Micro Center:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/638986/acer-nitro-xv322qu-pbmiipprzx-315-wqhd-(2560-x-1440)-165hz-hdmi-dp-freesync-hdr-ips-led-gaming-monitor

Please let me know if this monitor is a good fit for my PC (level 4 Lynx) or if there's other good alternatives around that price point and similar specs.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 9:26pm
rtings.com didn't review the 32-inch model, but if we assume the performance is within the ballpark of these:

Acer Nitro XV272U KVbmiiprzx review

Acer Nitro XV340CK Pbmiipphzx

The Nitro XV322QU shouldn't be a bad choice.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:20am
The reviews are all saying it works with G-Synch, so no worries. Your decision to shop in person is a good one. There's no substitute for seeing a panel in action before you buy.
 Post Reply Post Reply