Post Date: 2007-10-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Soba453 View Drop Down
  Quote Soba453 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice For New Gaming Rig
    Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 9:08pm
Hey there,

About a month ago I was going to buy a new computer since I thought mine was going to die but it didn't, so I held off for a bit.  Well, a month later and the graphics card went kerplunk! So, I wanted some extra advice on this build I may go with:

Case: Digital Storm Twister PRO (Black Anodized Aluminum Finish)
Power Supply: 620W Corsair HX (SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition) (High-Quality Unit)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (TwisterBoost Enhanced) E6750 2.80GHz (1400MHz Front Side Bus)
Motherboard: nVidia 680i LT Core 2 Quad (By: eVGA) (nForce 680i SLI)
Memory: 2GB DDR2 Corsair at 800MHz XMS2 (Dual Channel) (Extreme-Performance)
Floppy / Media: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 1: 250GB (Western Digital / Seagate) (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive 2: - No Thanks
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 2: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Modem: - No Thanks
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800GTS 320MB (By: eVGA / Asus) (PCI-Express)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (Up to 7.1 Channel) (Recommended)
Physics Card: - No Thanks
Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 3 (Silent Artic Cooling (TwisterBoost Overclocked)
Case Lighting: - No Thanks
Round Cables: Enhanced Interior Air Flow (Optical Drive & Floppy Cables (Black Edition)
User Manual: Personalized Platinum Digital Storm Binder (Includes Paperwork/Benchmarks/CDs/Manuals)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks my keyboard comes with a mouse
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty
Support: Lifetime Toll-Free Platinum Care Technical Support

Note: comes up to $1710.00

Questions:
1. In one of my e-mails, I asked Robert about the performance difference between the Fatal1ty and the XtremeGamer soundcard.  He forgot to answer the question, so I'm asking you guys now: Other than the fact that it has an I/O unit and a remote control, is there a big difference in the sound, both quality and performance?  If there's a huge difference in sound quality, I may go with the Fatal1ty.

2. I was planning to go with the
Intel Core 2 Duo (TwisterBoost Enhanced) E6750 2.80GHz (1400MHz Front Side Bus) for the processor and the Air Cooled Stage 3 (Silent Artic Cooling (TwisterBoost Overclocked) . I still don't really understand how the air cooling stages work.  Does getting stage 3 mean that I'm getting the recommended air cooling for an overclocked processor? For instance, if I went with stage 1 with my processor, I'd run into heating problems.  Or, do the stages signify how high of an overclock I want? I really wanted a stable system that would run near-perfectly for 4 years at least.

Those are the questions I have for now.  Thanks!

67alecto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 67alecto Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Soba453

Questions:
1. In one of my e-mails, I asked Robert about the performance difference between the Fatal1ty and the XtremeGamer soundcard.  He forgot to answer the question, so I'm asking you guys now: Other than the fact that it has an I/O unit and a remote control, is there a big difference in the sound, both quality and performance?  If there's a huge difference in sound quality, I may go with the Fatal1ty.

2. I was planning to go with the
Intel Core 2 Duo (TwisterBoost Enhanced) E6750 2.80GHz (1400MHz Front Side Bus) for the processor and the Air Cooled Stage 3 (Silent Artic Cooling (TwisterBoost Overclocked) . I still don't really understand how the air cooling stages work.  Does getting stage 3 mean that I'm getting the recommended air cooling for an overclocked processor? For instance, if I went with stage 1 with my processor, I'd run into heating problems.  Or, do the stages signify how high of an overclock I want? I really wanted a stable system that would run near-perfectly for 4 years at least.

Those are the questions I have for now.  Thanks!

Sound quality will be negligible between those two cards.  Staff from DS have previous stated, though, that the processor on the Fatal1ty card can help you pick up a few FPS.

With a stage 3 cooling selection, DS will overclock your system as high as they can get it while keeping it stable.

Stage 1 - basic cooling
Stage 2 - improved cooling
Stage 3 - *edit* - Stage 2 cooling, but they will overclock your processor to its highest stable point

Edited by 67alecto - 21 Oct 2007 at 1:22am
Twister Pro
750W PS/Q6600 2.4GHz/680i LT/2GB Corsair 800/9800GTX/X-Fi XtremeGamer/Stage 2 Cooling
Vanquish II
430W Corsair/i3 3.3 GHz/Asus H61M/8Gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance/650Ti Boost 2Gb
gdhart View Drop Down

Quote gdhart Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 11:24pm

On the overclocking other decisions have an impact on how much they can overclock it.  Items that can increase the overclock are a bigger case (Ultra or Extreme) with better air flow as well as upgrading to the 680i Core 2 Quad  A1 Revision Mother Board.

850W PSU/Pro Case
Q6600-G0 2.7GHz
nVidia 680i A1 Revision
4GB 800MHz XMS2
1x500 GB WD, 2x500GB WD RAID-1
2x500GB Ext
nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
ATI TV Wonder 650
Air Cooled Stage 3
Soba453 View Drop Down
  Quote Soba453 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 11:47pm
Okay, so I think I was confused by the "Twisterboost Enhanced" and the "Twisterboost Overclocked."  I was thrown off by that and thought they both meant overclocked.  In which case, what does the "enhanced" actually mean? And going by what you said 67Alecto: if I decided to go with the stage 2 instead, does that mean it won't be overclocked at all and I'll just have more than enough air cooling for the processor?

I'll go with the XtremeGamer and just buy the remote control separately if the sound quality is truly negligble. :)

On an extra note, does anyone know if the Pro case situation has changed? I heard that it won't be available until 11/1, which may be bad for me since I need a new computer asap. 

Soba453 View Drop Down
  Quote Soba453 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 11:58pm
Oh, forgot to ask about one more thing.

Is there a huge difference between these two PSUs?
- Power Supply: 620W Corsair HX (SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition) (High-Quality Unit)
-
Power Supply: 600W Thermaltake (SLI Compatible) (Silent PurePower Edition)

The Corsair is $50 more expensive than the Thermaltake.  Is it just the quality and the extra 20W of the Corsair that makes it cost more? Can anyone recommend either of those? I'm still not sure if I'm going to go with SLI in the future, but let's say I don't: one of these PSUs should suffice, right?
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2007 at 12:08am

On the Fatal1ty sound card, from a review at Techspot:

"The X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS and X-Fi Elite Pro both feature 64MB X-RAM (SDRAM), dedicated to audio caching. This requires specific application support to function. Less audio data needs to be paged from the hard drive as it can be stored on the soundcard itself, decreasing the number of read/writes as compared with other soundcards."

You can find the rest of that review Here

The Xtreme gamer will get you an increase in FPS, even without X-RAM, as the use of descrete audio processors will free CPU cycles. If the app is indeed especially written to take advantage of the X-RAM, then the HDD R/W load will be dcreased which may gain a a bit more. The use of *any* sound card will have a positive impact on performance, however.

As far the difference between the two in terms of sound quality, both offer up a THD of .004% @ 1Khz, and frequency response @ -3dB input, 24-bit/96kHz of 10Hz to 46kHz, which is just this side of DC all the way up to punish the neighborhood dogs frequencies. Most adults can't hear much past 14 Khz, and frequencies below 20Hz are no longer heard, they are felt (sub base).

Granted, without a full frequency response curve, the THD figure is almost completely meaningless, so even with both units ilisted at the same THD figure, it is *possible* there is some difference between the two, but this is unlikely, as if there were, Soundblaster would be the first to point out the improvement. The Fatal1ty offers more connectivity options, and does offer the remote control, so if you intend on using the computer as part of a larger entertainment system, it may offer up advantages.

Stage 2 and stage 3 cooling are exactly the same with the exception that stage 3 means overclocked.

To rephrase, if you select stage 3 cooling,  Digital Storm will add an aftermarket CPU cooler, just as they would at stage 2, and then they will overclock your CPU for you.

DSO *will not* overclock to any speed that would result in an unstable system, or in a system running so hot that the CPU is likely to fail within 4 years. Remember, DSO's warranty covers CPU's they overclock for 3 full years. They're not about to do anything too extreme. The goal is an increase in performance with as little impact on system stability and lifespan as possible.

On the PSU's:

The Corsair unit is not only a higher output, it is more efficient as well. Being more effiicient means generating less heat, which translates, not only into lower electric bills for you, but a quieter computing experience as well. The corsair unit is also a modular cabling design. The 600W TT silent purepower edition may or may not be modular, my impression is that it is not, but you may wish to confirm with DSO.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 21 Oct 2007 at 12:12am
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2007 at 12:09am
Yes one of those will be enough for your system if you do not plan on running a SLI setup.

corsair = better quality and efficiency = quieter and cheaper electricity bill
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Soba453 View Drop Down
  Quote Soba453 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2007 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Tyler Lowe

On the Fatal1ty sound card, from a review at Techspot:

"The X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS and X-Fi Elite Pro both feature 64MB X-RAM (SDRAM), dedicated to audio caching. This requires specific application support to function. Less audio data needs to be paged from the hard drive as it can be stored on the soundcard itself, decreasing the number of read/writes as compared with other soundcards."

You can find the rest of that review Here

The Xtreme gamer will get you an increase in FPS, even without X-RAM, as the use of descrete audio processors will free CPU cycles. If the app is indeed especially written to take advantage of the X-RAM, then the HDD R/W load will be dcreased which may gain a a bit more. The use of *any* sound card will have a positive impact on performance, however.

As far the difference between the two in terms of sound quality, both offer up a THD of .004% @ 1Khz, and frequency response @ -3dB input, 24-bit/96kHz of 10Hz to 46kHz, which is just this side of DC all the way up to punish the neighborhood dogs frequencies. Most adults can't hear much past 14 Khz, and frequencies below 20Hz are no longer heard, they are felt (sub base).

Granted, without a full frequency response curve, the THD figure is almost completely meaningless, so even with both units ilisted at the same THD figure, it is *possible* there is some difference between the two, but this is unlikely, as if there were, Soundblaster would be the first to point out the improvement. The Fatal1ty offers more connectivity options, and does offer the remote control, so if you intend on using the computer as part of a larger entertainment system, it may offer up advantages.

Stage 2 and stage 3 cooling are exactly the same with the exception that stage 3 means overclocked.

To rephrase, if you select stage 3 cooling,  Digital Storm will add an aftermarket CPU cooler, just as they would at stage 2, and then they will overclock your CPU for you.

DSO *will not* overclock to any speed that would result in an unstable system, or in a system running so hot that the CPU is likely to fail within 4 years. Remember, DSO's warranty covers CPU's they overclock for 3 full years. They're not about to do anything too extreme. The goal is an increase in performance with as little impact on system stability and lifespan as possible.

On the PSU's:

The Corsair unit is not only a higher output, it is more efficient as well. Being more effiicient means generating less heat, which translates, not only into lower electric bills for you, but a quieter computing experience as well. The corsair unit is also a modular cabling design. The 600W TT silent purepower edition may or may not be modular, my impression is that it is not, but you may wish to confirm with DSO.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion between the air cooling stages.  I have to admit that it was very reassuring when you had mentioned that the warranty even covers an overclocked CPU and that DS wouldn't build an unstable system -- definitely something for me to consider now.

In the case of the PSU, if the Corsair = efficient + quiet, then by golly I'll go with that. =)

New question/thoughts:
A month ago, Robert convinced me to go with a dual core E6750 (Twisterboost Enhanced) instead of the quad core Q6600 since they had similar performances and most of the software I'd be using wouldn't even utilize the four cores; however, I didn't mention to Robert that I was also a developer. 

Now I'm once again contemplating on whether I should go quad or not.  I was doing some research (not too extensive) and found that rendering and compiling does utilize quad core.  Some of the applications I use are: Mathematica, MatLab, Visual Studio 2005, Netbeans.  I also do OpenGL programming in C++. 

I do play video games too (WoW atm), so that's something I'm considering for future games that may actually use the four cores; however,  I think the biggest gain from the quad core is the minimal performance loss when running multiple processes.  I tend to have a lot of processes running like, FireFox windows, Trillian (instant messenger), winamp, WoW, and A LOT of security software (AVG anti-virus, Trojan Guard, Comodo firewall, Ad-Aware, Peerguardian).  From those of you who have the quad core, do you guys see a huge performance gain when running a lot of things? I don't want to go with the E6750 just to find out that I could have really benefited from the Q6600.  And if I do, would the PSU I currently selected still be optimal? Would anyone recommend going with the air cooling stage 3 at that point to make up for the loss in clockspeed going from that E6750 (Twisterboost Enhanced) to the Q6600?

Its been a struggle to make a decision, and I guess I'm really just waiting to be convinced. =) I truly appreciate the advice and feedback guys!
67alecto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote 67alecto Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2007 at 1:21am
Originally posted by Soba453

Okay, so I think I was confused by the "Twisterboost Enhanced" and the "Twisterboost Overclocked."  I was thrown off by that and thought they both meant overclocked.  In which case, what does the "enhanced" actually mean? And going by what you said 67Alecto: if I decided to go with the stage 2 instead, does that mean it won't be overclocked at all and I'll just have more than enough air cooling for the processor?

The 2 twisterboost "enhanced" chips are automatically overclocked to a set level - the 6750 is OC'd from 2.66 to 2.80 and the 6800 is OC'd to 3.33.

The Twisterboost overclocked cooling option is actually the same as level 2, but for the extra $25, they will overclock your chip as high as they can get it and still be stable.

I misspoke earlier - I could have sworn that when I was ordering last month, Stage 3 cooling had an extra fan in addition to the the Stage 2.

The info, though, states:

"This is the same unit as stage two, however for 25$ more we overclock your processor to it's most stable point. If you have questions regarding how high we can take your processor, please call us."

Edited by 67alecto - 21 Oct 2007 at 1:23am
Twister Pro
750W PS/Q6600 2.4GHz/680i LT/2GB Corsair 800/9800GTX/X-Fi XtremeGamer/Stage 2 Cooling
Vanquish II
430W Corsair/i3 3.3 GHz/Asus H61M/8Gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance/650Ti Boost 2Gb

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2007 at 1:26am
I'll let you know when I get my system how the Quad pans out Wink.

My reasoning in deciding to go quad was this though (if this helps at all):

With an overclocked quad, you should be able to hang in there performance wise with stock clocked duo's for all the apps out there right now that do not take advantage of the power a quad offers. In deciding where I thought things would wind up over the course of the next couple of years, I looked at what Crytek is doing with Crysis. While I think it would be foolish to think they are blazing the path everyone will follow, I do think that the features they have implemented into that game are things that are likely to become commonplace over the next couple of years. You can't plan for everything that will come with the future, but planning for as much of what is known as possible seems wise to me.

I had no doubt that the E6750 I had originally been looking to buy would suffice for the next year or two, but I had hoped to get 4 or 5 years out of this system. That may or may not happen, but in my mind, it's more likely with the quad.

Edit:
I don't see anything in that config which requires more than a 620W PSU. According to Corsair, their 620W PSU is fine for SLI up to and including the 8800GTS 640MB. GPU's should continue on with the trend of smaller and smaller dies, so with any luck, less and less power required as each new gen is launched (we hope so anyway, things were starting to get out of hand when people are questioning whether or not an 850W PSU will be enough).

I put your system through a leading e-tailer's wattage calculator and it came to less than 550W recomended rated output with the Quad, so you'll have some room to grow with that 620W PSU (the unit showed up as one of the recomended models when I recalculated for a quad and 8800GTS in SLI as well).

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 21 Oct 2007 at 2:16am
Soba453 View Drop Down

Quote Soba453 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2007 at 9:38pm
Do you happen to have a link to that wattage calculator? I'm curious to see how much I'll need if I decide to go SLI in the future.

BTW, I noticed that you were in build phase: stage 2 and ordering the Pro case.   I take it the Pro case is no longer back-stocked?
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2007 at 9:41pm
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

calculator ^
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 3:30am
On the Pro case, I'll be asking about what's going on with that soon. I was offered a replacement in a different style (crescent shaped window) and declined in favor of waiting for the restock on the original Pro case (full rectangular window) which I was told to expect Nov 1st, so I'm not sure if this is just going to be a  longer than normal wait in stage 2, or if the cases came in early yet.
Soba453 View Drop Down

Quote Soba453 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 4:19am
Hm, I probably wouldn't mind getting a crescent-shaped window - I won't be able to even see the side anyways.  Regardless, let me know what happens with the case situation.

And I'm tired of beating around the bush (I shouldn't even be doing this!), so I'm probably going to go with the Q6600 and air cooling stage 3. :)

EDIT: And thanks for the link, skyR!

Edited by Soba453 - 22 Oct 2007 at 4:22am

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 12:59pm
The windowed side panels are out of stock, but at least in my case, DSO opted to ship the TJ-04 without a windowed side panel, and then cross ship the panel after they recieve it, I presume not only to expedite my order (which I appreciate), but to avoid a back log of orders awaiting build at the begining of the holiday shopping season.

I'm not sure how many more orders they will need to do this with, or even if, given epected build times, the back ordered panels will arrive before people ordering right now will be shipped, but that's the update. Wink
Soba453 View Drop Down

Quote Soba453 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 7:34am
Hm, that's not so bad -- I wouldn't mind having the computer first and getting the windowed-side panel later. 

I hope I'm not being too nosy, but how long has it been since you've sent your order in? I saw that the build-time was 5-10 days, but I got the feeling that you've had your order in longer than that.  I plan on sending my order in some time this weekend, and I'm mostly just curious if it's also going to take longer than 5-10 days because of the Pro case situation.  If I'm wrong about the extended build-time then I'll just shut up. =P

Edit: Ohhh, I just noticed that your signature says that the computer is being shipped.  Are you excited? :)

Edited by Soba453 - 24 Oct 2007 at 7:39am

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2007 at 10:11am
Ordered?: Oct 2nd.

Excited? I'm rocking a P4 1.59Ghz with an X700Pro 4xAGP..... excited doesn't cover it Big%20smile
 Post Reply Post Reply