FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice for new machine

Post Date: 2020-04-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Maniac View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice for new machine
    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:17am
I like the advice you gave him. Please let me know anything for my Eh build. 2937931

.. moved to a unique thread so it won't get lost ..

Edited by Snaike - 05 Apr 2020 at 9:23am
Maniac View Drop Down

Quote Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Cretae

EXCELLENT! I agree you're gonna love it!

Would you mind looking at mine. 2937931
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 2:44am
Hi, Maniac.

I think maybe you're a little light in the power supply. it's a good choice for where you are now, but it limits you to a maximum RTX 2070 (or equivalent) for the future. To change out a power supply, you have to basically rewire your system. It's not a HUGE deal, but it can be a real pain.

I'd recommend you change Storage Set 1 to the 5 times faster M.2 Samsung 512GB 970 PRO NVMe SSD. It's smaller, but that size is good for your OS, browser, productivity apps, and maintenance software IMO.(And a few games as well!) It stays lean and mean on the drive you have to scan all the time for viruses, malware and adware. The extra speed and more compact size is perfect for running those scans in seconds instead of minutes. You can easily add more storage when you need to down the road. It's just about the simplest upgrade.

You really don't need a discrete sound card these days. Unless you're a true audiophile of some sort, on-board sound has been so good for several years, the sound card is unnecessary extra expense.

Everything else looks very good, but the Internal Lighting is free, so.... That's a very strong GPU for everything at 1080p.

If you can do without the sound card, it pays for the upgrades I mentioned. DS will welcome any changes you want to make at this stage. Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply