FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice for Video Editing / Gaming PC

Post Date: 2021-01-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RCHills View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RCHills Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice for Video Editing / Gaming PC
    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 9:45am
Hello! Looking for some help with my husband's new PC. Last time we both built our own...around 2009! We've been out of the parts game for quite a while, and since then he has gotten into recording and editing videos for YouTube, as well as ripping Blu-Rays and working with resultant video files for our HTPC. This is new to us and I'm not sure what would be best for the $$$ for that.

Budget:
Around $2000, but willing to spend more if necessary

Expectations:
Fast video compiling, good but not "the BEST" gaming.

Usage: Video editing and compiling, ripping discs. Games, right now Fortnite so nothing too heavy. Possible game streaming. Monitors he uses are 24" and 27", both 1080p but he may want to upgrade in the next couple years.

Appreciate any and all help!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 5:24am
Well, your budget is a bit light for the computing power you can use to shorten the workload in editing video. Unlike a gaming use, you want extra cores and extra RAM for those tasks.

3727149      $2400.

To see it in the configurator, select "Load Config" on the main page, upper right. I think a 12 core is the way you want to go, and the extra RAM will speed things up. You don't need a tremendous amount of video power for those monitors, and the 5700XT will produce 1080p at high fps all day long. The Seagate Firecuda M.2 NVMe SSD is an astounding speed demon for everything you do from your OS.

You could save $116 if you built that into a Lynx case, and get some RGB enhancement.   
RCHills View Drop Down

Quote RCHills Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 11:30am
Thank you so much for your advice, I was thinking more RAM would be better, but wasn't sure. You're a total MVP around here!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 4:27am
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 7:09am
Video editing, regardless of how deep you are in to it, benefits from the processor speed, core count (research this because beyond a point you are just wasting money) the speed of your HD to read and write and the software you are using and in what format you are encoding your videos to. I used to do video editing of all my motorcycle rides/trips and I researched a ton before I had my previous PC built. So many variables and I can tell you, if you want to do fast video editing, you are going to need a lot more than the budget you specified.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 20 Jan 2021 at 7:10am
Old Gamers Never Die!
RCHills View Drop Down

Quote RCHills Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 7:36am
Thank you, fwfdfireman! I will listen to your advice. Sounds like I have a bit more research to do, and maybe a budget increase is necessary.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 11:46am
You can easily Google what you need for fast/good video editing and get some real good info.
I am also sure you can contact someone at DS about your needs and they will be able to provide you info. Best of luck.
Old Gamers Never Die!
 Post Reply Post Reply