FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice/Guidance: Sub $3000 1440p Gaming PC

Post Date: 2015-04-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BiohazardX-87 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice/Guidance: Sub $3000 1440p Gaming PC
    Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 9:02am
Budget - Under $3,000 and to be honestly I hate to spend this much, but I would rather spend more now to have a better experience and greater ease of use in the future. I will be purchasing a new monitor for gaming (2nd monitor later for basic usage). Current laptop: Acer V3771G with Nvidia GT 650M – so it’s all uphill from here.

I had been on here a few years ago about to purchase, but then I ended up buying a house and, well, excess money stopped being a phrase I could utter. Be my luck something will come up and take my excess funds again, but I have been very diligent to prevent it this time.

I will primarily be using this to play games in addition to typical computer/internet usage, light adobe work, and a little photo processing (not major editing, just digitizing for longevity). I play a little of this and that - big fan of Battlefield (main focus) not Hardline, other FPS, some Civilization and other strategy, and lower demand games that fill my steam library (BroForce, etc).

My current internet provider requires use of their provided modem/router for their DSL and due to limitations on home layout I am unable to use a hardwired connection for the time being. I did still want to prepare for 802.11ac. I would not be against utilizing a wireless card if the Mobo Integrated would be less beneficial due to current limitation and no ETA on a hardwired connection or Cable installation.

I am about to get into some light Adobe work and why I left the memory at 16.

Would this setup be able to function smoothly with the 750W PSU. I don’t mind paying more for the extra headroom, just wanted to make sure it wasn't overkill.

I went with the PRO SSD and my only concern is should I go larger - BF4 alone took up around 70G if I'm not mistaken, and it’s not like games are getting smaller or less demanding. I understand more is always better, but prices do come down eventually and better technology is always around the corner and I could add another larger one later just to boot games from and leave the OS on this original part.

Went with WD - Black as everyone always suggests for a secondary - Will be adding in my own drives for extra storage from my previous desktop and have several external drives for space.

I went with SLI 970 to allow for optimal settings at 1440p gaming. The build/shipping time should afford time to earn the extra required purchase a new monitor (currently over budget).
I may get two monitors, but not for dual monitor gaming. May play movies on one while web browsing or working on projects for work on the other - hence the blu-ray player.

I intend to have a different case ordered. I am a huge fan of the CM Haf-X case that used to be an option here and have already spoken to Customer Service about those fees and from my former build know that I will have the additional fans installed to aid in air cooling.

Should I get the newer Noctua or would this one on clearance (D14) be sufficient?

Should I have the video cards OC'd so they function closer to 980 as I have read in many reviews/articles or does putting them in SLI make that redundant?

I selected the Windows OS boost to disable everything, but is that something I should leave along and/or just do myself from an online guide?

Would 8.1 Pro be worth it or will all current versions of Windows update to the same base version of 10 when that is an available, thus negating any differences in previous product installed? Or will each version upgrade to their corresponding versions (i.e. Standard to Standard and Pro to Pro). The only benefit I saw that I may use is the encryption ability, which can be obtained free elsewhere.

Is there anything I am overlooking or completely off base about? Where did the free shirt go?

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long write-up, but I like to attempt to be thorough and prepared. Will respond and provide more details as necessary.

Configuration Code: 1187815
Total Price: $2,871.00
Direct Load URL: https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1187815

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo (To Be Changed to Haf-X)

Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-PRO (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Features 802.11ac Wi-Fi Connectivity) (Overkill?)

System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)

Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA (Overkill?)

Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO) (Large enough?)

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (Includes PhysX)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Extreme Cooling: !CLEARANCE: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance (14 or 15?)

Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans (Extra to be added to special order case)

Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz

Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thank (Should I get this?)

Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system (Is this necessary?)

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition) (Is Pro better for my needs?)

Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)

Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 9:52am
Forgot to mention - I had considered the Velox and the price was the same give or take a few dollars after swapping for the HafX, but the delay in shipping is what deterred me.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 1:35pm
Hi BiohazardX-87,

I think you have a good build just like it is. I will try to answer some of you questions.

1. The HaF-X case is a good case if you tweak it a bit. I would remove the drive cages that block the front 230mm fan if you don't need them. I know they have the extra fan for cooling the GPUs but a clear front fan and a side fan will probably do it better. With the two top fans I would have the rear top fan blowing out and the front top fan blowing in. That works great with the Noctua coolers. You gain a few degrees of cooling with the D15 but I don't know if it is worth the price. Especially since the D14 is on sale at DS.

2. If it was me I would not get the motherboard with the WiFi included. My preference would be to get a PCI card like the Asus PCI-AC68. It has an antenna that can sit on top of the Computer or on the desk. It has three antennas that you can adjust to peak the performance at the particular place you have the computer.

PCE-AC68 Picture:   

3. The 850 PS is more than you need with this system but the 850 PS gives you a bit of margin. We never know what is down the road and might need more power. The 850 will still be operating efficiently.

4. As you say, the SDD is never big enough. A 256 Pro is a very good choice. You could move up to the 512 Pro SSD. It might be a better idea to get the 256 Pro and if you feel you want more in the future, you can add a second 256 Pro. If you don't load all of your games into a 256 Pro it is a good size. Just move the currant game you are playing into the SSD. This has to be your decision based on how you use the SSD.

5. I normally don't like to boost Graphics cards but the currant series of Nvidia cards OC very well. Especially the 970. The OC that DS does is usually moderate and should be OK. Again, your choice.

6. I don't recommend having DS tweak the OS. That is something you can do after you have used the computer for a while and determined what you don't need. I am always afraid that DS might change something I want to use.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 01 May 2015 at 5:37am

Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 1:56pm
Thanks for the advice.

Any suggestion on which MoBo you would think would be more appropriate for this build.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 3:55pm
Motherboards have so many features its tough recommending which one. If you don't want a WiFi board, even though you don't have to use that feature, the Hero and Sabertooth are excellent. If you don't need the m.2 storage or SonicRadar,etc. of the Hero, the Sabertooth has the best warranty, 5 years vs 3 years for most others.

I suggest checking their specs, either googling or 'more info' under each board in the config.

Lots of features to consider.

Hope this helps.

Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 5:07pm
I believe I am going to switch to the Sabertooth as it has the longer warranty as well as more fan connections than the only other option that caught my eye, the GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97 (simply due to the onboard creative audio and lower cost that would help cover the custom case purchase).

Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 5:59pm
Update Configuration Code: 1189150
Price: $2,741.00

Downsized PS
Switched to Sabertooth MoBo
Dropped OC Windows
Left out OC Graphics - will put in a comment to see if they recommend

According to all info I had found it appears that the case comes with all fans installed, but will double check when I special order that and set it up as FrankW suggested. And will inquire about removing the cage to remove obstruction to airflow in the front.

Never thought to ask - Would the fan management board be beneficial?

Will be getting wireless card as suggested.

Direct Load URL: https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1189150

Specifications:
Chassis - Special order Haf-X
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Military-Grade TUF Components) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair CX750M <br><strong></strong>
Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: !CLEARANCE: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance

Airflow Control: - No Thanks

Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system <br><strong></strong>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 2:56am
Looks real good.      Just an fyi.....you swapped a psu with 10year warranty after registration with a 3 year. Both get the job done, so your choice.

I personally wouldn't get the fan management board with the Hafx and Noctua cooler. Not needed.

Good luck.

The Blu-ray player needs movie playback software bought separately. Just a heads-up.

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Apr 2015 at 3:04am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 6:01am
The Sabortooth is a good choice for a motherboard. If you want the 750 PSU go with the 750W EVGA SuperNOVA. I think it also has the 10 year warranty.

Going to be a nice system at a good price.

Frank

Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 6:06am
Will be switching the PSU back to the better warranty - bad things happen to me.

Aware of Blu-Ray requirement.

Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 6:24am
Updated PSU and added a keyboard because its actually cheaper on here and then it'll be included shipping.

Configuration Code: 1189408
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,930.00
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 10:15am
Looks like a good build to me.  Strong

Psu..... The specs for the EVGA 750 SuperNova don't mention if its the bronze or Gold series.   The 850watt does mention the Gold.  Difference is, the Bronze is 5 year warranty and Gold is 10 years, is my understanding.   Either are better than the 3 years of the CX750M.      Not to beat the point  to death.  Hahaha

Good Luck. Big%20Smile

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 1:35pm
Hi bprat22,

I noticed that after your post. We can't see the side of the DS 750 SuperNova that shows the gold or bronze.

EVGA offers 4 750 SuperNova Power Supplies, G1,G2,B1,B2. The 850 SuperNova from DS is the G2 that has a 10 warranty. The G1,G2 are 10 years and the B1,B2 are 5year warranties. I assumed that since the DS 850 SuperNova is 10 years then the 750 SuperNova was also 10 years. Maybe someone with a 750 SuperNova can tell is if it is a G or B series.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 30 Apr 2015 at 1:36pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 3:15pm
Hi Frank..... Yeah, it wouldbe good to know for sure.   Maybe Alex,Nav or Steven could also clear it up.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 6:18pm
Send an email to John ([email protected]) and he can check with the team.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2015 at 3:13am
Thanks.

Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2015 at 4:26am
Just emailed John, will post answer when I receive it.

Thanks for the continued help.

Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2015 at 9:21pm
It is the G2 - so 10 year warranty on the 750 SuperNova. Will be switching to that.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2015 at 3:44am
Nice and good to know.   Thanks for the info.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2015 at 6:02am
Thanks BiohazardX-87, another example of DS using the best equipment option rather than a cheaper alternative. DS is just the best out there.

Frank

Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2015 at 5:10am
Double checking components and data, still have not pulled the trigger yet. Waiting on a few bills to clear payment then will be ready.

The Sabertooth image for the Mark 2 shows the Armor, but when researching the part itself it appears the Mark 2 does not come with that. Need to figure that out - not an issue just curious.

Also talking to a friend who has a computer shop and determining what parts I will get from him - monitor, wireless card (since not an option here anyway), etc.

Will continue to update.

Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2015 at 5:48am
Final configuration. Was unaware that special order notes saved along with configuration - that is awesome.

Config: 1193130

Chassis Model: CUSTOM HAF-X Case

Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Military-Grade TUF Components)
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO)

Sound Card: Integrated

Extreme Cooling: !CLEARANCE: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance

Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks
Boost Memory: - No Thanks
Boost OS: - No Thanks

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 (Fully Mechanical Gaming Keyboard) (Black Brushed Aluminum Finish)

Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

SPECIAL NOTES:

I modified the fan flow to have both top fans exhaust as heat rises. Will change if they suggest to do so to coincide with what FrankW suggested, but when I started finding other suggestions online it seemed logical to let heat rise. Please correct me if I am wrong; and I do understand there should be less heat production in the front of the case, but still.

Will be getting the Asus wireless card and monitor once I place this order.

Want to let everyone double check that I did not make a huge error.

Thanks for all the help.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2015 at 7:42am
Hi BiohazardX-87,

You are right that warm/hot air rises. But, with a computer case you have fans moving air in different directions. Most cases are designed so the front fan/fans blow forward into the case. The rear fan is there to exhause any air at the top of the case. In your case you are using the D-14 CPU cooler. This cooler has a front fan that blows into the radiator/pipes and a second fan that exhausts air to the rear case exhaust fan. Fans in a case creates air currants that flow through the case pressurizing the case and cooling components as the air passes over. So assuming that some warm air from the GPUs is going to rise up to the top of the case. That means that the air being used to cool the CPU is going to be warmer air than what is outside of the case. My suggestion was to install the top front fan blowing into the case. The purpose was to mix with any warm air in the case with fresh cool air from outside of the case. Thus reducing the air temperature that the D-14 draws into the cooler. In fact, I think the top fan is close enough to the D-14 that you will be using almost room temperature air from that top front fan and you will get better cooling for the CPU. The top rear fan is set to aid exhausting any air from the D-14.

A while back when the HAF cases were popular on DS, it was not un-common to use the top Front fan-in, top back fan-out setup. I suggest you use what ever setup that DS recommendations.

You have a nice system.

Frank   

Edited by FrankW - 06 May 2015 at 7:44am

Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2015 at 2:34pm
Ok. The placement of the Notctua is the factor that makes it all clear and makes my thoughts incorrect. Spatial awareness is a key and without seeing this exact build opened up I was unable to put this altogether, but with your input it is now clear.

Thank you for the elaboration...seriously.

Will modify notes section to reflect this more efficient option.

Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2015 at 8:56pm
Ordered
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 5:24am
Originally posted by BiohazardX-87

Ordered

it's a beautiful thing!
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2015 at 11:22am
Bet you're gonna love it!

Grats and welcome to the family.
Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"

Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2015 at 8:42am
5/8/15 - Stage 1

Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2015 at 6:25pm
5/11/15 - Stage 2
          Stage 3
Stage 1 5/8/15
Stage 2 5/11/15
Stage 3 5/11/15
Mouseguard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Mouseguard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2015 at 4:39pm
The waiting is the hardest part...
Baby Bear
Corsair Air 540
i7-6700k @ 4.5 gHz
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
16 gb 2666 MHz ram
Corsair HX1000i
800 GB Intel 750 series NVM-e
(2) GTX 980ti Asus Strix Edition graphics
Noctua NH-D15 Cooler
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2015 at 4:42pm
You'll have it in no time. The wait is tough, however.

Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2015 at 4:54pm
I'd say the wait will be a little bit more than anticipated due to the special order case, but still worth it in the long run.

Reorganizing my office and ensured it can be hardwired without modifications or installation costs. So that saves me money that I was going to spend on the wireless card to spend towards the monitor.
Stage 1 5/8/15
Stage 2 5/11/15
Stage 3 5/11/15
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2015 at 5:00pm
If possible, hardwire is the way to go.

Quote BiohazardX-87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2015 at 6:30am
Been in stage 3 for a week - is that normal?
Stage 1 5/8/15
Stage 2 5/11/15
Stage 3 5/11/15
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2015 at 6:53am
My guess would be they're waiting for parts, but a call to DS would answer it for sure.   Could be the special order parts.  Could be the updates are off. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>