FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

advice on build (new to pc)

Post Date: 2020-09-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jonallen689 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jonallen689 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: advice on build (new to pc)
    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 7:49pm
Im new to pc gaming and wanted to build my first pc and its onlyfor gaming really not going to be doing much else with it. ive never seen games on pc just heard about and I want to be able to play on max settings and see the best graphics. Any advice on this build? Any should of done more of this or didnt really need that in order to play ultra settings at best FPS?

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-10900K (5.3 GHz Turbo) (20-Thread) (10-Core) 3.7 Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z490 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Semi-Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Founders Edition) (VR Ready) (ETA MID-OCTOBER)
Sound Card: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux LITE: Integrated Cooling System (CPU Only)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: White Flexible Tubing + Clear Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Thermaltake Riing Plus (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
JimBob View Drop Down

Quote JimBob Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 8:15pm
Here is a config that I recommend

tbh, an intel core i9 is not necessary. You can save more than a hundred dollars by choosing an intel core i7 instead. All the extra cores and threads in the i9 do not do anything in gaming, and based off what I know, there is only a 1-2% increase from i7 to i9.

the 1000 watt power source is completely unnecessary so I changed it to 850 watt which is perfect.

I also changed your storage system, but if you want to keep your previous choices, that is perfectly fine.

The hydrolux lite is not a good choice for someone who does not want to maintain their cooling system every year and change the liquid. The cooling system that I have selected will do just fine for your setup.

I also removed all the overclocking because those aren't really necessary in gaming and just produce a bunch of excess heat, which is definitely not what you want.

This setup will save you around $700 from what you previously had, so have fun!

Edited by JimBob - 27 Sep 2020 at 8:23pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 3:41am
JimBob is correct on each point, but his config # is not the right build.

Try this one:   3421721

I preserved most of your personal choices, but went along with much of what JimBob suggests.

In particular, the Samsung 970 PRO has no performance boost over the PLUS NVMe that you would ever know was there, so it just wastes money. Likewise, you don't need another NVMe for games libraries and data storage. I suggest you get a SATA SSD and save $143 there.

I agree with JimBob on the custom cooling loop. It's entirely unnecessary for very safe temps. To my mind, it gives you nothing but worries and headaches from day one when you'd rather be gaming, but up to you.

The CPU overclock is unneeded, but okay if you want, because in either case it's water-cooled. The GPU needs no overclocking at all and it would run hotter than you want.

The 3080s have run into some problems except for the Founder's Edition. Some seem to have an issue with capacitors being used on the non-FEs.

You left out the most crucial info on what monitor resolution you are shooting for. If it's 1440p, the 3070 coming soon will KILL that res and avoid the 3080 problems.

Hope it helps.
JimBob View Drop Down

Quote JimBob Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 4:52am
Why you do this config id
I hope DS situates this, it's a nice system after all.

Edited by JimBob - 28 Sep 2020 at 4:53am
jonallen689 View Drop Down

Quote jonallen689 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 9:33pm
Ya 1440p, this set up can make that happen?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 3:43am
Absolutely!

@JimBob: the config # coming up wrong happens only rarely. It's just some random glitch. Just check for accuracy, and your input is welcome! I think ya done good, Man.
JimBob View Drop Down

Quote JimBob Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 4:41am
Originally posted by jonallen689

Ya 1440p, this set up can make that happen?

Yes, and since the price dropped for the rtx 3080 on digital storm, here is the updated config for the exact same setup Cretae gave you, but $165 cheaper.

@Cretae, I'm ngl, it's only been about a week since I started on this computer stuff, and I'm already helping other people. It feels so good to be helping people and giving them nice advice!

Edited by JimBob - 29 Sep 2020 at 4:52am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 3:16am
Yep.
 Post Reply Post Reply