FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on Build

Post Date: 2021-04-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Triple-Nickel View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Triple-Nickel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice on Build
    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 3:48pm
Budget
$1600 - 1700 (some wiggle room)

Expectations:
I want this to be a durable, quiet, RGB PC. I do occasional gaming and content but not enough that I need a screaming graphics card

Usage:
Mostly for work. Not graphic intensive.

Special Needs:
Looking for quiet PC that has RBG fans and AIO water cooling.

Saved Ticket #: 3880125

Specifications:
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 3:56am
I suggest you take a look at this build at the same price point:

3880931 $ 1969 (strangely, the same price)

The change to a Lynx case saves $116 which can be used for some really significant enhancements for performance and upgradeability. The 5600X is far newer, and provides enhancements in design and memory management that makes fewer cores/threads practically disappear. Check this:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X/4043vs4084https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X/4043vs4084

You upgrade to an NVMe primary drive that is between 5 and 10 times faster than the SATA drive from DS. You really want that. Boot times well under 25 seconds, and instant everything else.

The stronger 850W PSU will be essential when you want or need to upgrade to newer/stronger parts in a couple of years. The 600W would be a serious limiting factor.

You get a still reasonably priced GPU that is rated up to 44% better than the 1650. That difference is well worth it for way better performance and longevity.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1650/4038vs4039

The Lynx comes stock with RGB fans you don't have to pay for, and the internal lighting is optional. If you have to have the Lumos, the same design would be an extra $116 without the fans. This rig is fully upgradeable without a qualm from CPU to RAM to storage to GPU. The whole Zen 3 line of procs is open to you.
Triple-Nickel View Drop Down

Quote Triple-Nickel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 7:25am
Wow I love it. Much better performance with the savings on the case. I think I will go with it. Would you know what their build times are at this point? I thought I read somewhere it was three weeks and change but not sure.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 3:22am
Happy to help.

Build times are stated at 30-35 BUSINESS days, so 6-7 weeks. The supply chain is quite broken so it's possible something could glitch. The parts for your build are not in short supply right now, so you could be fine inside that time frame. There seems to be a backlog, so it may be 3-4 weeks before they start, but then it should just be a few days from there, as the team assigned gets it done.
 Post Reply Post Reply