FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on buying prebuilt pls? Multi-monitor setup

Post Date: 2015-10-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GLTheGameMaster View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GLTheGameMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice on buying prebuilt pls? Multi-monitor setup
    Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 11:13am
Budget:
Around $2000 +/-

Expectations:
I would like to be able to use a dual monitor 1080p setup with no issues. Somewhere down the road, I would love to add another 980ti, and at that point go to a triple monitor setup by adding a 1440p as my main monitor, along with the two 1080p's.

Sidenote: EDIT nvm I figured out the nvidia surround stuff, so apparently I could run two 1080p's with a 1440p all at native resolution. The drawback is nvidia surround wouldn't work, so I could only game on one monitor at a time, which is fine for what I'm looking for right now.

Usage:
A lot of the time it'll involve coding in one screen on visual studio (C++ for university), and watching twitch streams/browsing on the other monitor. I'll also be gaming (say Fallout 4/CSGO) on one screen, while twitch streams are open on the other monitor.

I'm mainly looking to be able to do any sort of browsing/video watching I want WHILE gaming/coding with no issues, and to have room to upgrade in the future, adding another 980ti/a 3rd monitor at 1440p like I said.

I won't really be doing any 3d modeling/designing, just gaming/browsing/coding. This thing would get HEAVY use though, at least like 6 hours a day.

Here is the current build I found that seems to fit what I'm looking for, although it's a bit expensive so I wouldn't mind tuning down a few things if possible:

Digital Storm Apollo (Config # 1303476)
$2,504.00
$2,504.00
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Apollo

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series

Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Thanks for any and all help guys :)

Edited by GLTheGameMaster - 30 Oct 2015 at 11:39am
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:25pm
compiling code you want memory and processing power.  think about upping your ram to 32GB and perhaps a fast drive where you do work on-ditch the EVO and go with a faster ssd.  is the hard drive intended for storage backup?  if not, ditch it and go with a higher capacity single ssd. 

i think your fine with the 6700K, but you might consider a more workstation/gaming hybrid cpu like a Haswell-E 6-core.  an I7-5820K centered build on X99 comes in around the same price point as the Skylake platform. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
GLTheGameMaster View Drop Down

Quote GLTheGameMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:50pm
Yeah I use a lot of hard drive space between all my random stuff (pictures, games, videos, etc), so the 2tb storage would be used for random stuff like that.

You think it'd be worth upping the SSD to 1tb and ditching the extra storage? I could definitely just drop the 2tb hard drive/EVO and pickup a 1tb SSD, but I didn't know how much of a difference that would make. If I just got a giant SSD like that, would it really make a noticeable difference in coding/boot times for everything?

And alright I wasn't sure what resources coding uses, so now knowing that I'll definitely up RAM to 32 gb.

I'll probably stick with the 6700 since it was recommended to me by a friend who uses it too.

Thanks for the input! Really helpful :)

Edited by GLTheGameMaster - 30 Oct 2015 at 12:50pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 2:30pm
i think you'd really notice the speed of a pcie drive like the Intel 750 over the Samsung EVO in your particular applications.  if you have an external backup option (i.e. cloud, thumb/hard drive) you won't need the hard drive.  any ssd is an improvement over the hard drive, really.  i was just thinking of options that might speed up your work usage.  i've got one of those Intel drives going into a system DS is building for me now.  in my current rig i have a M4 128GB main drive and 1TB backup/data hdd.  i've migrated all of my data folders (pics, docs, etc.) over to the hdd because of the limited space on my ssd.  i've also got a 4TB external hard drive for backups.     
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply