FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

advice on new rig for black friday 3k budget

Post Date: 2020-11-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Godhand456 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Godhand456 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: advice on new rig for black friday 3k budget
    Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 11:00am
Budget: around 3k but will go higher if there is something that the community feels is worth spending a little extra on

Expectation: 90% gaming/streaming, 10% work (school / researching). I would like a quiet system. my current rig, the fans are a bit loud. Basically a best rig i can get for my price. I plan to start with a 1080 monitor, but I plan to upgrade to a 1440 soon and need a rig that can utilize that.

Usage: I play games like Path of Exile and WoW alot but i also play single player games. I want to be able to play cyberpunk at max settings. also other top titles that will be coming out in the next couple years at max settings as well.

Special needs: none that i can think of. a rig on the more quiet side is ideal. I have my set up in my basement so it doesnt get to hot or cold down here.

Code: 3579015
https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=3579015

the rig i made on the fly. didnt put a whole lot of thought into it as I am not familiar with today's tech and what is worth it and what is not. I want a solid graphics card but maybe the 3070 that I picked is too much card for what I need?

was thinking for changing the SSD hard drive from the stock standard to the 1TB Samsung 860 EVO for only 56 more dollars. Keep the 2nd storage as is.

Is the 299 motherboard solid for what I trying for?

using the stage 2 cooling. I really want to make sure the rig never is in risk of overheat.

I saw the overclock on the processor was free so I picked it but is that needed?

lastly, I seen DS was selling a ASUS 27in 2560x1440 monitor for 400 dollars. worth it to just get it from them and be set and rdy to go or should i shop that elsewhere? any monitors the community recommends?

sorry for the long post but I would like to get this order in by fri/weekend. thanks!

Edited by Godhand456 - 25 Nov 2020 at 11:35am
robinv83 View Drop Down

Quote robinv83 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 4:48pm
I mean you could just switch out your case (to a Lumos) and get closer to your 3K budget. That'll give you more flexibility on purchasing other things with better specs. If you like the Velox case that's cool too. I'm just saying.

I am not trying to sway you one direction or the other but may I ask why you didn't select an AMD cpu/mobo? I feel like they offer better value for your budget and what you are trying to do.

Quote Godhand456 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 7:40pm
the case isnt important. I just picked whatever. I could pick the lumos.

as for the cpu/mother board, thats the thing, i dont know what to pick or what is best for what im trying to accomplish. I know little of technology here and thats why I made a post in hopes to get clarity. in the past, ive used alot of intel, asus, and nvidia stuff without issue so i have a good history with them.

I dont know, i feel my build could be improved alot more than what I have dow. I just dont know which improvements to make

Quote Godhand456 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:03pm
i read a few forum posts and came up with this build that is still within my budget. can I get a guru or 2 to comment.

Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 3580950 - SKU 3044344     
     $3,223.00

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (12-Core) 4.8 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON (Wi-Fi) (X570 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3070 8GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

I have a question if i should keep the Samsung 980 PRO SSD or save the 42 dollars and get the 500GB Seagate FireCuda 520 Gen4 PCIe. i seen a few posts speaking highly of the firecuda.

also, is that motherboard worth it or should i drop down to the ASUS PRIME X570-P / MSI X570-A Pro?

should i buy the ASUS 27in 2560x1440 monitor for 430 dollars or not worth it? should i just stick with my 1080 monitor? if it will be hard to notice a difference then it might not worth even getting a 1440k monitor.

if i dont get 1440k then maybe i should cut back on other things? ugh so clueless lol. any help would be appreciated

Edited by Godhand456 - 25 Nov 2020 at 9:05pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 4:55am
So, it's remarkable to me that with one generic (but accurate!) comment you steered yourself to pretty much the exact build I would suggest! You nailed it!

You could save a bit on the Firecuda if you want. You would never know the difference.

I suggest you consider an all SSD set-up with a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO for storage 2. The larger SSDs cost a lot here. They are really easy to install yourself, so you can get more online if you eventually need another.

The chassis fans are about as quiet as you want them to be. You download Corsair iCue software to control both speeds and colors!

The motherboard is well worth it IMHO if it's in the budget. You do know there is $300 off your rig as it sits, so you're at $2923 with free shipping? Less if you go Firecuda and 860 EVO.

I would wait up and see how you like this performance on your monitor. If it's a 60 Hz, you won't get all you could from the 3070, so you might not bother, but if it's capable of high framerates the GPU will demolish all comers at the highest settings! I have come to think the upgrade point to 1440p comes at 27" and more. At 27" the 1080p pixels are just a mite larger and the better resolution 1440p brings can really be seen. The RTX 3070 is a great pick for that res.

The Asus here is a good monitor, but this is Black Friday territory and you should look online for deals, IMO. You want to look for an IPS panel that can run 120 frames per second or more, and is "G-Synch compatible" 1440p is 2560x1440, and is also known as 2K. Plug those things into a Google search and have fun! If you can't beat the Asus, get that one.

Great job on the build!    

Quote Godhand456 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 12:31pm
Hey cretae!

thank you for your input. the build i made was based on several of your replies in other posts lol. so thats why i probably made a build very similar to what u would probably suggest lol.

ya i should of mentioned my monitor is a 144htz monitor not 60. I will search around for monitors and see what I find. if i dont find a way better deal, i will use that 300 dollars off the rig here towards the asus.

do you or anyone know if there will be any further 'black friday" deals? i dont want to put my order in today if on friday or even this monday on "cyber monday' the prices will go down and i miss out on a better deal.

I will make the change to the 1TB Samsung 860 EVO for storage 2 and save an addtional16 dollars and ill keep the 500GB Samsung 980 PRO for the first storage. ive always liked samsung products.

thank you very much for ur input. I hope u and yours have a great holiday
robinv83 View Drop Down

Quote robinv83 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 2:28pm
hey man amazing build but I feel like for that kind of money you should get a 3080 if you can. you could replace the Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) with regular fans but if you want your pc to look amazing then the Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) are amazing. I ordered my new desktop yesterday and was close to the same amount as you but with a 3080.

EDIT: Here's my build:

System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (12-Core) 4.8 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON (Wi-Fi) (X570 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by robinv83 - 26 Nov 2020 at 2:30pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 3:29am
The 3080 only appears to be such a great value because Nvidia gouged so hard on the last generation of cards. It is still wise to get the card that best fits for your monitor. That way, when something better comes along, it doesn't break your heart or your wallet to upgrade. not to mention the wait for a 3080 stretches out to about 5 weeks.
robinv83 View Drop Down

Quote robinv83 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 7:13am
Yeah screw NVIDIA and screw price gouging. I'm so happy AMD finally launched a worthy competitor to NVIDIA's GPUs. Even though I'm going with the 3080 its overall better for consumers to have more choices and better prices.

Quote Godhand456 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 7:26am
hey folks!

purchase complete! i did end up getting the asus montior from DS here instead of elsewhere. I did some shopping around and all the monitors with similar specs were within the ballpark of the price DS had here so i just said screw it and got it all in one big purchase.

thank you cretae and robin for chiming in and offering your advice. enjoy the holidays. I know I will with my new rig! Awesome
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 3:06am
It is our pleasure! That is a very nice monitor, and I agree the convenience of getting it here is a plus.
 Post Reply Post Reply