FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on PC. Please help!

Post Date: 2016-08-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Chillez View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chillez Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice on PC. Please help!
    Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 12:13pm
Hello DS members! I am looking to buy first great gaming PC. I'm noob so any suggestions to change my options on my build would be awesome and recommend.
Budget: $3,300-3,900. I love the look of the Bolt 3 and looks like the air flow should be good also it being smaller is much needed for my current space. The water cooling aesthetically pleasing is must for me.
Expectations:
To play most games on ultra settings 4K and not having up upgrade any parts for several years. I like to have extra memory just in case for other programs.

Usage:
High level gaming general web suffering be able to run programs at multiple times smoothly with no trouble.

Special Needs:
A quiet PC but being able to achieve highest overclocks for gaming for FPS, MMO, RPG.

Saved Ticket #: 1477985

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Pre-built Digital Storm Bolt 3
Exterior Finish: Black Brushed Aluminum Hairline Finish
Side Window: Edge to Edge Premium Acrylic
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Mini-ITX) (Up to 1x PCI-E Device)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 750W Lian-Li PE-750 (Platinum Rated) (Supports up to GTX TITAN X)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (120GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm HydroLux PRO (CPU + Graphics Card)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Red Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Red - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Standard Black 120mm Fans
Internal Lighting: Software Controlled Internal + Front Panel RGB LED Lighting (Requires Airflow Control Upgrade)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by Chillez - 25 Aug 2016 at 1:15pm
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 1:57pm
Removed..... DST4ME is the guy you want to talk to. He's very knowledgeable from my personal experience. db188 is another one who could definitely help you.

I'm in the same boat as you(buying Vanquish 5 next month). Those two helped me create a PC configuration and answered pretty much all of my questions. I actually have a clue now as to what to look for. I can try to help, but don't expect much.

Edited by Snaike - 26 Aug 2016 at 3:44am
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 2:08pm
I am pretty much a newbie, but I do see something pretty obvious:

1. Why aren't you overclocking your cpu?(People use oc as an abbreviation). You have all of those liquid coolers and you're not going to overclock the cpu. Take advantage of the liquid cooling(lc is another abbreviation). 4.0 ghz is stock shelf speed. Liquid cooling will allow you to maximize your ghz speed.

2. From what I've heard(DST and db), you should be good with the i7 for several years(assuming you get around 4.4 ghz oc). Software is lagging behind hardware.

3. You might have to upgrade the graphics card every 2-3 years if you want to run games on Ultra for all 5-6 years.

As I said before, I am pretty much a noob to this type of stuff. So, take it for what it's worth. Thankfully, db and DST explained a LOT to me. If I were you, get in contact with those two. DST usually responds to most discussions.

Edited by Batman34 - 25 Aug 2016 at 2:20pm
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." - Batman Begins
Chillez View Drop Down

Quote Chillez Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Batman34

1. Why aren't you overclocking your cpu?(People use oc as an abbreviation). You have all of those liquid coolers and you're not going to overclock the cpu. Take advantage of the liquid cooling(lc is another abbreviation). 4.0 ghz is stock shelf speed. Liquid cooling will allow you to maximize your ghz speed.

2. From what I've heard(DST and db), you should be good with the i7 for several years(assuming you get around 4.4 ghz oc). Software is lagging behind hardware.

3. You might have to upgrade the graphics card every 2-3 years if you want to run games on Ultra for all 5-6 years.

As I said before, I am pretty much a noob to this type of stuff. So, take it for what it's worth. Thankfully, db and DST explained a LOT to me. If I were you, get in contact with those two. DST usually responds to most discussions.

I forgot about that is it worth to overclock the CPU and not the graphics. Thanks for the suggestions I had feeling ill have to upgrade the graphics card every couple of years to get ultra gaming on newer games.
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Chillez

I forgot about that is it worth to overclock the CPU and not the graphics. Thanks for the suggestions I had feeling ill have to upgrade the graphics card every couple of years to get ultra gaming on newer games.

That, I don't know. I don't see why it would hurt to oc the gpu, knowing that you have liquid cooling for the gpu as well.
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 2:44pm
One more thing to consider with liquid cooling. Maintenance is involved. I'm pretty sure it's advised to replace the liquid coolant 1 to 2 times per year. Also, if you plan on upgrading the graphics card yourself, you're going to need to find a new waterblock for the liquid cooler and the gpu. I think that's for sealing the tube to the graphics card to prevent leaking. DST is much more knowledgeable on this. Just do a little research. If you ever want to upgrade your PC, you can always just ship it to Digital Storm. They explain this at the bottom of your configuration under Service and Support: "Life-time labor free upgrades for component upgrades purchased directly from Digital Storm

Edited by Batman34 - 25 Aug 2016 at 2:44pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 4:02pm
As Batman34 mentioned LC needs some maintenance so if you are ok with that we can move on to the next question:

For 4k and max settings you either need sli 1080 stock or titan x pascal under lc with a high oc, and you would be doing the high oc, DS's oc on gpu is moderate.

so how would you like to proceed?

after that we can discuss the rest of the stuff that needs to be changed

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Aug 2016 at 4:03pm
Chillez View Drop Down

Quote Chillez Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

As Batman34 mentioned LC needs some maintenance so if you are ok with that we can move on to the next question:

For 4k and max settings you either need sli 1080 stock or titan x pascal under lc with a high oc, and you would be doing the high oc, DS's oc on gpu is moderate.

Yeah I'm fine with LC needing maintenance few times a year the question I have is it fairly easy to do yourself? Do you have buy specific products for liquid cooling. Yes, I would like to proceed on what all I should change and if I can save few hundred dollars with my current build that would be sweet. I plain on pulling the trigger buying DS PC in next week or so. What do you think I should change in my current set up?

Edited by Chillez - 25 Aug 2016 at 6:32pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 4:42pm
Hi Chillez,

Welcome to the forums. Just a note on the lc maintenance, it is not required to change the liquid once or twice a year. More like once every 2 to 3 years. It depends on its condition. In addition, the Hydrolux Pro on the Bolt is really the Hydrolux Lite on all the other systems offering it, which is more like an AIO. I don't know if you can or need to change the fluid in those. Someone with one can chime in. It is (the Lite) a relatively new addition to the DS cooling options.
Also, don't know about your choice for the second storage set. I'm pretty sure DST4ME is already working on a configuration for you and will discuss all these and other options. Good luck.

Edited by hoserator - 25 Aug 2016 at 4:44pm
Chillez View Drop Down

Quote Chillez Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Hi Chillez,Welcome to the forums. Just a note on the lc maintenance, it is not required to change the liquid once or twice a year. More like once every 2 to 3 years. It depends on its condition. In addition, the Hydrolux Pro on the Bolt is really the Hydrolux Lite on all the other systems offering it, which is more like an AIO. I don't know if you can or need to change the fluid in those. Someone with one can chime in. It is (the Lite) a relatively new addition to the DS cooling options.Also, don't know about your choice for the second storage set. I'm pretty sure DST4ME is already working on a configuration for you and will discuss all these and other options. Good luck.

Thanks for friendly welcome.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 9:53pm
With the the closed loop aio you can't change the fluid, but you get the least performance, with an open loop aio like the swiftech (hydrolux lite) you can change the fluid and I would recommend that for best results you should. Performance here is much better then a closed aio but still not as close to as a real LC open loop (hydrolux pro), here you get the real LC benefit/performance due to better water block and radiator quality/size)

With a real open loop, for best results change fluid twice a year, if not then once a year for sure, the longer you go without changing it the less your performance is.

Now its important to point out that in bolt for some reason hydrolux lite is called pro.

Next thing to discuss is performance vs noise, either pic one or spend lot more money and try to make the system little more quiet, I'm not talking a jet but under heavy load and oc you will be heating up the parts and to combat the heat the coolers need to rampup the fan speeds to max to keep temps at acceptable levels.

So right now from you what I need to know are 2 things:

1. For 4k and max settings you either need sli 1080 stock or titan x pascal under lc with a high oc, and you would be doing the high oc, DS's oc on gpu is moderate.

which do you pick? sli 1080 or titan under lc that you will put under heavy oc yourself?

2. noise vs performance, which would you rather sacrifice?

For what you want to do we need to change your whole system.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 3:42am
Batman & Chillez.. You'll notice some parts of this thread have been removed. The pertinent and relevant information remains.

I am certain you can see the reasons for this action.

Have a great day and welcome to DS!
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Snaike

Batman & Chillez.. You'll notice some parts of this thread have been removed. The pertinent and relevant information remains.

That's fine. I was just telling some harmless batman jokes.

Edited by Batman34 - 26 Aug 2016 at 3:18pm
Chillez View Drop Down

Quote Chillez Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 5:59pm

With the the closed loop aio you can't change the fluid, but you get the least performance, with an open loop aio like the swiftech (hydrolux lite) you can change the fluid and I would recommend that for best results you should. Performance here is much better then a closed aio but still not as close to as a real LC open loop (hydrolux pro), here you get the real LC benefit/performance due to better water block and radiator quality/size)

With a real open loop, for best results change fluid twice a year, if not then once a year for sure, the longer you go without changing it the less your performance is.

Now its important to point out that in bolt for some reason hydrolux lite is called pro.

Next thing to discuss is performance vs noise, either pic one or spend lot more money and try to make the system little more quiet, I'm not talking a jet but under heavy load and oc you will be heating up the parts and to combat the heat the coolers need to rampup the fan speeds to max to keep temps at acceptable levels.

So right now from you what I need to know are 2 things:

1. For 4k and max settings you either need sli 1080 stock or titan x pascal under lc with a high oc, and you would be doing the high oc, DS's oc on gpu is moderate.

which do you pick? sli 1080 or titan under lc that you will put under heavy oc yourself?

2. noise vs performance, which would you rather sacrifice?

For what you want to do we need to change your whole system.

Alright I'll try answer your questions as well as I can. 1) I'd like 4K with max settings it's not make or brake deal for me, but I can go down its not required for me for that graphics card. I just want best build possible for my current budget. 2) I'll take performance, all day everyday over noise. However I don't want my system to be crazy with noise. Do you think I need change to different system like the Velox?

Edited by Chillez - 26 Aug 2016 at 6:02pm
Chillez View Drop Down

Quote Chillez Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 6:03pm

Those Batman jokes.
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 7:50pm

Those Batman jokes.

What, you didn't like the jokes? I took quotes from the dark knight trilogy and played with the words a bit to make "spell corrections" on the forum seem very serious.

Edited by Batman34 - 26 Aug 2016 at 7:52pm
Chillez View Drop Down

Quote Chillez Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 8:28pm

Those Batman jokes.

What, you didn't like the jokes? I took quotes from the dark knight trilogy and played with the words a bit to make "spell corrections" on the forum seem very serious.

Nah man I do was just giving you hard time is all.
Chillez View Drop Down

Quote Chillez Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 8:29pm
This thread moving along so slow. I really want to make a purchase from DS but don't want too screw something up with my build.

Edited by Chillez - 26 Aug 2016 at 8:30pm
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:40am

Hey DST, would it be possible to create a config for Chillez? Just like me, he needs some help and doesn't want to make a mistake on his first gaming PC.

P.S. Would the Apollo be the way to go for Chillez(for 4k)?

Edited by Batman34 - 27 Aug 2016 at 9:48am
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:47am

This thread moving along so slow. I really want to make a purchase from DS but don't want too screw something up with my build.

Have you considered the Apollo? Has open loop cooling.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 10:15am
You guys posted so much stuff that his response to me go lost, I just saw it.

@Chillez, I got your answer for the noise vs performance, so performance it is, but you didn't answer me about the first question, sli 1080 or single titan? which do you prefer? This is something you need to decide, you should think about it hard, if you decide single titan we are talking pro lc and you have to put a very high oc on it yourself, so take all of that into consideration before you answer and those are not something I can decide for you. If you leave it up to me I will assume you don't know or can't OC the gpu as high as needed and give you sli 1080.

Edited by DST4ME - 27 Aug 2016 at 11:11am
Chillez View Drop Down

Quote Chillez Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 2:00pm

You guys posted so much stuff that his response to me go lost, I just saw it.

@Chillez, I got your answer for the noise vs performance, so performance it is, but you didn't answer me about the first question, sli 1080 or single titan? which do you prefer? This is something you need to decide, you should think about it hard, if you decide single titan we are talking pro lc and you have to put a very high oc on it yourself, so take all of that into consideration before you answer and those are not something I can decide for you. If you leave it up to me I will assume you don't know or can't OC the gpu as high as needed and give you sli 1080.

I'll go with sli 1080 for my graphics card. Do you recommend that one overall or would you go with single Titan. I love your input personally. I like for either graphics card to have little longivity and not having to replace for few years until something newer is better. I hope that answers all your questions. I'm ready to get my build started.

Edited by Chillez - 27 Aug 2016 at 2:02pm
Chillez View Drop Down

Quote Chillez Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 2:02pm

Have you considered the Apollo? Has open loop cooling.

Yeah I have Apollo is one sweet looking machine.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 7:34pm
Ok whether we go sli or titan you will need to upgrade the gpu in 2 two 3 years thats just how they go.

I like a single solution card whenever possible as to not deal with sli scaling. But in this case you would need to know how to oc the titan very high and stable. IF you don't know how to do that then I would not recommend single titan to you.

I'm trying to config a system for you now but I'm running into an issue, with sli 1080 and LC I"m around $4300.

Can we raise the budget to $4300 or would you like to drop the lc? Or if you feel comfortable with oc on titan we can go the titan route

Edited by DST4ME - 27 Aug 2016 at 7:35pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 2:30pm
Me and Chillez must be on opposite schedules, we keep missing each other
Chillez View Drop Down

Quote Chillez Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 4:42pm

Ok whether we go sli or titan you will need to upgrade the gpu in 2 two 3 years thats just how they go.

I like a single solution card whenever possible as to not deal with sli scaling. But in this case you would need to know how to oc the titan very high and stable. IF you don't know how to do that then I would not recommend single titan to you.

I'm trying to config a system for you now but I'm running into an issue, with sli 1080 and LC I"m around $4300.

Can we raise the budget to $4300 or would you like to drop the lc? Or if you feel comfortable with oc on titan we can go the titan route

Well $4,300 is a little bit past my required budget more like $4,150 is about as much as I can do. I'm not sure if that will work with either the sli 1080 or titan. Yeah I don't want the titan after doing more research.
Chillez View Drop Down

Quote Chillez Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 4:44pm

Me and Chillez must be on opposite schedules, we keep missing each other

Yeah man our schedule are the opposite I usually work weekends.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 5:09pm
With LC its not gonna be around your budget but we could just do lc on teh cpu if you want tho remember lc is not needed.

I'm gonna give you this config with lc on cpu only, but you get the 850 ssd and no m.2 950 pro, I rather go with noctua for cpu and give the m.2 950 ssd. So here are both:

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page

IF I put you in the apollo (less airflow), lower your ssd to the 256GB 850, then you can have lc on both cpu and sli gpus, however this config has the least performance do to the fact that without lc your temps will be fine but ssd speeds are lower on this config:

My advise is to go with the velox on air (middle config) your temps will be fine, you get the best of everything including case and ssd.

Now you tell me what you think.
Chillez View Drop Down

Quote Chillez Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 5:38pm

With LC its not gonna be around your budget but we could just do lc on teh cpu if you want tho remember lc is not needed.

I'm gonna give you this config with lc on cpu only, but you get the 850 ssd and no m.2 950 pro, I rather go with noctua for cpu and give the m.2 950 ssd. So here are both:

IF I put you in the apollo (less airflow), lower your ssd to the 256GB 850, then you can have lc on both cpu and sli gpus, however this config has the least performance do to the fact that without lc your temps will be fine but ssd speeds are lower on this config:

My advise is to go with the velox on air (middle config) your temps will be fine, you get the best of everything including case and ssd.

Now you tell me what you think.

Looks pretty good. I'll have some tough decisions to make could you give me the config on Bolt just in case I'm able to go up in price. Thanks!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 5:40pm
I don't recommend the bolt personally because it basically has no airflow, in sli you gonna have some heat, IMHO bolt is not the best option here, which is probably why sli is not even an option in bolt. Also keep in mind the hydrolux pro in the bolt is actually the hydrolux lite in the other systems, I'm not sure why its named that way, it should be named hydrolux lite cause that is what it is.

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Aug 2016 at 5:43pm
Chillez View Drop Down

Quote Chillez Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 4:48pm

I don't recommend the bolt personally because it basically has no airflow, in sli you gonna have some heat, IMHO bolt is not the best option here, which is probably why sli is not even an option in bolt. Also keep in mind the hydrolux pro in the bolt is actually the hydrolux lite in the other systems, I'm not sure why its named that way, it should be named hydrolux lite cause that is what it is.

Okay. Do you think it's bad idea to go with water cooling for my system over air coolers for cpu and graphics card for overclocking. I love it have cooling system truthfully for the looks and the performance.

Edited by Chillez - 30 Aug 2016 at 4:49pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 6:13pm
My first config has the cpu under lc, so you get the looks and performance, if you want both cpu and sli 1080s to be lced, you need to raise the budget as I had mentioned in my config post.
Chillez View Drop Down

Quote Chillez Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 7:10pm

My first config has the cpu under lc, so you get the looks and performance, if you want both cpu and sli 1080s to be lced, you need to raise the budget as I had mentioned in my config post.

Okay got it. Thanks again for the help and all the info I really appreciate it.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 11:28pm
My pleasure

Bit of info:

1. Do not install Mcafee , instead get a lighter better anti virus like ESET (number 3 on the list) Or any other good light AV.

2. With extra fans request that DS changes all case fans and connects all your fans to the mobo so you can control them via free software. This way we can control the fans without needing anything else (aka fan controller and etc).

3. The warranty here is 3 year labor and 1 year parts so if you want higher part warranty be sure to raise the warranty level to the desired level.
 Post Reply Post Reply