FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on what I just ordered

Post Date: 2022-09-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kaelyn View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kaelyn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice on what I just ordered
    Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 12:17am
My desktop computer died about 6 months ago and I've been using my laptop for everything since then. My laptop is running out of space for games and it looks like part shortages aren't an issue anymore, so I'm replacing my desktop. I didn't realize there were all these helpful folks on this forum, so I went ahead and ordered a system today.

I started with the Lumos - Better build and tweaked it a bit. My target budget was $2K and I pretty much hit that before tax. I'd really appreciate it if someone could check what I did and see if I messed anything up.

I mostly play RPGs like Dragon Age, The Witcher 3, Baldur's Gate 3, etc.

I also do picture and video editing, watch movies on my computer and of course, web surfing.

I can't afford a new monitor right now, but could upgrade in the future. I have an ASUS Ve278Q, 27", 1080p, 60 MHz

I don't care about pretty fan lights or glass panels to view the internals and since my computer will be in our TV room where my husband will be watching TV or listening to music while I'm on the computer, I wanted it to be as quiet as possible. I'm hoping I accomplished that by replacing the standard Lumos case with an Antec Performance Series P 101 silent case.

I also increased the RAM to 32 GB, added a regular HDD to store pictures, videos and music, and I upgraded the GPU to the NVIDIA RTX 3060 since that seemed the best option for my budget.

I did not upgrade the power supply since the configurator says the 700 W PS was good enough for up to the RTX 3060 Ti and I didn't add any extra fans but since I don't really know what I'm doing, I'm a bit concerned that maybe I should have.

Thank you to anyone willing to check my work.

Here is the detailed config. I highlighted everything I changed from the pre-built Lumos.

System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Antec Performance Series P101

Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish

Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (8-Core) 4.7 GHz Turbo

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P / MSI X570-A Pro (AMD X570) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)

System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series

Power Supply: 700W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti GPU)

Expansion Bay: - No Thanks

Optical Drive: - No Thanks

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series) (NVM Express)

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)

Storage Set 3: - No Thanks

RAID Config: - No Thanks

RAID Card: - No Thanks

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3060 12GB (VR Ready)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Add On Card: - No Thanks

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected

HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected

Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)

Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Internal Lighting: - No Thanks

Software Control: - No Thanks

Chassis Mods: - No Thanks

Noise Reduction: - No Thanks

LaserMark: Option Not Available

CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)

OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (64-Bit)

Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows Installation (Format and Clean Install)

Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows)

Office: - No Thanks

Mouse Pad: - No Thanks

Display: - No Thanks

Surge Shield: - No Thanks

Speakers: - No Thanks

Keyboard: - No Thanks

Mouse: - No Thanks

Branded Gear: - No Thanks

Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

.. fixed a broken format ..

Edited by Snaike - 16 Sep 2022 at 5:58am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 6:00am
You've done well within your budget. I endorse your selection of an AMD CPU as I think it may be a bit more suited to your editing tasks. Likewise the bump to 32GB of RAM.

If you could just hold out a wee bit more, AMD is releasing it's next gen CPUs on Sept 27. Please look into the Ryzen 7 7700X. It is intended to sell about the same price (or even a bit less!) as the 5800X you've ordered, but is absolutely a better proc. The mobo might cost a little bit more. You will be using DDR5 RAM, and getting the benefits from that as well.

DS might not be offering that line on day one, but you might inquire how long the wait might be. It may not be prohibitive for you.

In any case, I would urge you to consider the 850W PSU, unless you are quite sure you'll be happy with 1080p for the life of this rig. Going forward, it may be quite hard to get a GPU capable of strong performance at 1440p that won't need more power. If you stick with 1080p, you can probably step up to a unit capable of higher framerates, and still be okay with 700W.

Hope it helps.   

Edited by Cretae - 16 Sep 2022 at 6:23am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 6:00am
Welcome to DS!! The Smart Guys® will be along shortly to critique/assist with your build.

I hope you don't mind but I had to make a minor format edit to your post. No change in substance.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 3:55pm
Congratulations and welcome to DS.
Awesome

Can't really add anything to what Cretae suggested (he is one of the forum's top configurator gurus). I would strongly consider his observation regarding the psu. Your system will last years and you will probably upgrade the gpu at least once during its life. They (gpus) are becoming extremely efficient graphically but are also increasing their power requirements.

Enjoy.
Smile
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 8:22pm
Also, if I may add, should you wish to display the "Verified Customer" badge you need to be certain the email address you used to order matches exactly with the email address for these forums. This has to be an exact match, like a password where uppercase and lowercase are different, in order to present the badge.   
Kaelyn View Drop Down

Quote Kaelyn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Cretae

You've done well within your budget. I endorse your selection of an AMD CPU as I think it may be a bit more suited to your editing tasks. Likewise the bump to 32GB of RAM.

If you could just hold out a wee bit more, AMD is releasing it's next gen CPUs on Sept 27. Please look into the Ryzen 7 7700X. It is intended to sell about the same price (or even a bit less!) as the 5800X you've ordered, but is absolutely a better proc. The mobo might cost a little bit more. You will be using DDR5 RAM, and getting the benefits from that as well.

DS might not be offering that line on day one, but you might inquire how long the wait might be. It may not be prohibitive for you.

In any case, I would urge you to consider the 850W PSU, unless you are quite sure you'll be happy with 1080p for the life of this rig. Going forward, it may be quite hard to get a GPU capable of strong performance at 1440p that won't need more power. If you stick with 1080p, you can probably step up to a unit capable of higher framerates, and still be okay with 700W.

Hope it helps.   
Kaelyn View Drop Down

Quote Kaelyn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 10:09pm
Thanks so much for the feedback.
Kaelyn View Drop Down

Quote Kaelyn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Congratulations and welcome to DS.
Awesome

Can't really add anything to what Cretae suggested (he is one of the forum's top configurator gurus). I would strongly consider his observation regarding the psu. Your system will last years and you will probably upgrade the gpu at least once during its life. They (gpus) are becoming extremely efficient graphically but are also increasing their power requirements.

Enjoy.
Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 4:59am
Originally posted by Kaelyn

Thanks so much for the feedback.

A pleasure.   
 Post Reply Post Reply