Expectations:
4k gaming on new monitors, multi-tasking, and max FPX/ultra settings

Usage:
Gaming

Special Needs:
SLI for future and RTX 2080 11gb card

Saved Ticket #: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=2160053

Specifications:
Would like to see if there are any better options than the saved configuration from before. I am finally gonna pull the trigger here and I'd like to make sure there are no new changes or improvements/money saved if possible
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 7:56am
Question is do you want Intel or AMDs new powerhouses that come out this spring.
Bamafan View Drop Down

Quote Bamafan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Psyoshi

Question is do you want Intel or AMDs new powerhouses that come out this spring.

Any chance you could give me an idea of how much better versus cost potential? I'm not up-to-date on their new powerhouses
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 11:01am
Well the new AMD processors are cheaper. Highest tier Ryzen9 is $499 16/32 4.2ghz base 5.2ghz boost and that is stock. So basically blows everything currently available out of the water and runs on 7nm architecture and use about 95w of power estimated based on all leaks.
Bamafan View Drop Down

Quote Bamafan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 3:06pm
That sounds good but, is it that much more efficient than intel? Everything i read still shows intel being better for multitasking or repeated Alt + Tabbing between things or streaming, where AMD tend to be better for building more of workstation purposes.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 7:54am
3d gen Ryzens won't be out for awhile (April?). You'll probably be able to get more cores and threads at competitive speeds for the same $ as lesser Intel part. IDK about 16/32 for $499. Seems low. More cores/threads without sacrificing clock speeds will boost performance no doubt, but I'm not sure how much you'd notice. Unless you have serious heavy lifting in your future, I'm not sure the wait will pay off big. The RAM has you covered for multi-tasking, and the GPU gets you Ultra.

The build you posted has some changes to what's available now. The 8086 is out. The cooler is now the PRO version, looks like same price. The keyboard and mouse have come off sale and cost more. I'd get those from Amazon or the like if the price is better. Don't get the Founder's version GPU, they've been buggy from the start.

Hope it helps.

Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 8:22am
For streaming the Ryzen 2700x actually is a winner surprisingly. They focused on the x264 for their chip while Intel tried making a bad hardware encoder. The next gen Ryzen are that powerful and yes even Forbes has the 9 listed at those specs minus 0.1 from clocks. It is expected to be announced and put on the market in May. Current Gen Intel is the big dog for gaming with about 4-10 fps lead. However Intel is still stuck on 14nm process while AMD has moved on to 7nm with a roadmap for better in the works.
Bamafan View Drop Down

Quote Bamafan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 3:56pm
So if i kept most original with the newer recommendations would you be able to show me a new configuration loaded out? And I may do the keyboard and mouse via amazon as mentioned.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 5:39am
Sure. New config # is:

Config ID 2233434

Bumps your total WITH the keyboard and mouse up to $5199, reflecting mostly the increase in the 9900K CPU. In return for that, you get 2 extra cores and four extra threads, and don't sacrifice any clock frequency on Turbo Boost. Pretty good deal.

If you wanted to bring that under your $5000 budget, I would recommend you not get the second Samsung NVMe drive.If you wanted, you could sub in either a 2TB or 3TB HDD for now, and save up to $356. that would give you all the storage you'd need for quite awhile. When you needed more, and you wanted it faster than the HDD, you should shop online for a Samsung 1TB 860 EVO Sata 6 SSD. Not as fast as your NVMe drive, but much faster than a mechanical drive. It's been on sale on Amazon for $147, and has all the speed you'd want for the rest of a games library that didn't fit on your primary drive.

Unfortunately, it does introduce a little DYI into the mix, but installing an SSD is pretty easy. You can't get DS to do that for you and save any money, because for some reason they are charging way more for that drive than Amazon.

I hope it helps you.

Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 7:38am
I noticed you said 4k gaming do you have a monitor yet? Cause 4k gaming monitors are super pricey.
Bamafan View Drop Down

Quote Bamafan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 1:42pm
i intend to get one aka next investment but im in a position to get the tower now, and Id like to do it soon because my other PC is finally starting to give out part wise lol and is 7 years old
 Post Reply Post Reply