FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

advice please

Post Date: 2022-04-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ussiel View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ussiel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: advice please
    Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 10:39am
Replacing 8 year old Digital Storm I7-2600K/GTX970 :)

Surfing and gaming at 1440p for now maybe 4k in the future.

Not concerned with appearance; lights etc. I am in a small home office and I do want as quiet as possible. $4.000.00 budget.

Any opinions/ thoughts appreciated.

thanks

Config ID 4369847 - SKU 3722034 ( can't get copy paste to work)

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-12900K (5.2 GHz Turbo) (24-Thread) (16-Core) 3.2 GHz (Alder Lake)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z690-A (Intel Z690 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI) (DDR5)
System Memory: 32GB DDR5 5200MHz FURY Beast
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Triple Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Software Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 14-21 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 3:50am
It's a pretty good looking build for what you want it to do, but I think you could do a little better bang-for-buck. The extra oomph from the top proc just isn't there at all for gaming. The 12700 is overkill, and will be strong throughout the life of this rig. Save $230 there.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-12900K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-12700K/4118vs4119

The storage is very light, so I assume you have some you'll migrate over? The 970 EVO PLUS is a fine NVMe SSD, but it's a PCIe gen 3 part. The 1TB 980 PRO is one of the faster NVMe gen 4 SSDs and over doubles the speed of your pick. For $42, it's the right choice.

The next observation is one you may reject out of hand, but I think it deserves some consideration. The 3080 GPU is a good pick NOW for 4K, buy you're not running 4K. We are somewhere around 5 months from release of the next Nvidia generation, which are thought to promise another quantum leap forward. Faster, more cores at every level, performance from, say, a 4070, that will rival (or even exceed) the 3080, but bring large improvement in ray tracing and DLSS capabilities, as well as memory management. My suggestion is you consider the more than adequate performance of a 3060 Ti at 1440p, and save $505 toward a much better card all-around, and likely at better pricing for when you step up. A bit of a gamble perhaps, but the 3060 Ti performs on par with a 2080 SUPER due to it's overall improvements:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3060-Ti-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2080S-Super/4090vs4050

Here it is stacked against a 3080:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3080-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3060-Ti/4080vs4090

Does that look like $505 worth of difference? My build comes in at $2862, with almost $700 set aside for a new card when you think it's time.

Just for you to think over.   
ussiel View Drop Down

Quote ussiel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 5:34am
Perfect. Thank you so much for your time and expertise.

Do you think I should get a larger power supply for the next generation of GPU's?

Also do fan upgrades make the Lumos any quieter?

thanks again,
jim
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 3:11am
You are most welcome, Jim.

I don't think a PSU upgrade will be necessary. My understanding is that they are working diligently to reduce power needs as we speak, and I know that lesser cards will rival the more powerful ones that are out now. Unless you are aiming for an overkill super system when you transition to 4K, I think the coming 4070 will probably be the right card for most. If not, the 4080 will be killer. You should have about 350W of overhead available in your system plus the 200W the 3060 Ti draws at peak, and my opinion is that will be quite enough. Worst case is you have to replace the PSU at some point, but the 850W is MODULAR, which means you only have to unplug and re-plug the labeled cables to the PSU itself. No re-wiring everything.

Custom fans may be designed on purpose to be a tiny bit quieter to justify the premium price, but it will not be noticeable. I've had three DS systems with stock fans, and they don't make noise. What does from time to time under heavy load are the radiator fans and/or the GPU fans. If you keep those fans clean regularly, even that will be a rare occurrence.   
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Cretae

Worst case is you have to replace the PSU at some point, but the 850W is MODULAR, which means you only have to unplug and re-plug the labeled cables to the PSU itself. No re-wiring everything.

Actually, that's a common misconception about power supplies. Although they are modular, the wiring isn't always compatible between different manufacturers, or even different years from the same manufacturer. For instance, Corsair has Type 3 and Type 4 cables, and you have to be careful to use the right ones.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 12:20pm
You should ask DS to see if they can add a Corsair Commander Pro to your system. It's a fan controller that is great for adjusting fan speeds based on the temperature. I have that in my Velox, and I love it! My fans run at 800 RPM until the temperature reaches 70C. Then they ramp up to full speed if the temperature reaches 80C. Fortunately, the temperature almost never exceeds 70C, so the fans are nice and quiet nearly 100% of the time.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 10:41pm
Nice system, congratulations and welcome back. Awesome

If you are planning for 4K in the future, I would opt to go for a larger psu.
The new top cards might use less energy than the top card now (3090Ti) but .....still pretty high.

Smile

Post Reply Post Reply