FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice upgrading to meet Cyberpunk requirements

Post Date: 2020-10-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Zerocool83 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zerocool83 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice upgrading to meet Cyberpunk requirements
    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 9:58am
Hey all,

I've got a 5 year old DS rig which I want to get ready to play Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out in November. They finally released the minimum and recommended requirements and I'm looking for advice.  My setup is as follows:

Chassis Model:  - Pre-built Digital Storm VANQUISH 4 - Level 3
Processor: Intel Core i5 6600K 3.5GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS/GIGABYTE (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Power Supply: 750W EVGA/Corsair
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x (1TB Seagate (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: High Performance Cooler with Large Fan and Copper Pipes
CPU Boost: Overclock CPU 4.4GHz (Extreme Performance)
operating system: Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)

The released Cyberpunk 2077 requirements are as follows:

Minimum requirements:
OS: 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 10. DirectX® 12 is necessary to run the game.
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K or AMD FX-8310. Finding a CPUs performance hierarchy chart or comparison website and comparing one's CPU with our minimum is suggested.
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 3GB or  AMD Radeon RX 470. Finding a graphics card performance hierarchy chart or comparison website and comparing one's video card with our minimum is suggested.
RAM: 8 GB
Disk space: 70 GB HDD (SSD recommended)

Recommended requirements:
OS: 64-bit Windows 10. DirectX 12 is necessary to run the game.
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790 or AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB or AMD Radeon R9 Fury
RAM: 12 GB
Disk space: 70 GB SSD

I previously upgraded my RAM to 16 GB in anticipation for the game, but held off on upgrading my Graphics card until seeing the official recommendations.  I'm a bit computer illiterate, but I feel confident enough to replace my graphics card.  I'm not looking for 4K or anything.  I'll be playing in 1080 p, so do you think that the GeForce GTX 1060 6GB is a good call or is there something a little lower end that should suffice?  I don't feel confident enough to attempt to replace the Processor, so do you think my i5 6600 will be sufficient to do this any justice?  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 4:52am
Your CPU is only a mere 5% off the recommended i7-4970,and it's rated stronger than the AMD Ryzen 3 3200G. So I don't think you should have any trouble with your processor.

The 1060 is an older card and has been blown out of the water by similarly priced newer cards. The one you would get the best life from at 1080p going forward is rated 24% better. It is the GTX 1660 SUPER, and it's about $230. They have a 1660 and a 1660 Ti. The 1660 is much slower at nearly the same price, and the 1660 Ti is not much faster for as much as $50-60 more. The 1660 SUPER is the sweet spot, for sure. That card will improve all your gaming. It's 35% better than your 970.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-gtx-1660-super-tuf-gtx1660s-o6g-gaming/p/N82E16814126359?item=N82E16814126359&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-video+card+-+nvidia-_-N82E16814126359&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5eX7BRDQARIsAMhYLP8R1c_zch1iGO5xuDaCmsR7Q6lUxumZq0KRVQAbn8i7TNGvCO8CDrkaAn_LEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quote Zerocool83 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Cretae

Your CPU is only a mere 5% off the recommended i7-4970,and it's rated stronger than the AMD Ryzen 3 3200G. So I don't think you should have any trouble with your processor.

The 1060 is an older card and has been blown out of the water by similarly priced newer cards. The one you would get the best life from at 1080p going forward is rated 24% better. It is the GTX 1660 SUPER, and it's about $230. They have a 1660 and a 1660 Ti. The 1660 is much slower at nearly the same price, and the 1660 Ti is not much faster for as much as $50-60 more. The 1660 SUPER is the sweet spot, for sure. That card will improve all your gaming. It's 35% better than your 970.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-gtx-1660-super-tuf-gtx1660s-o6g-gaming/p/N82E16814126359?item=N82E16814126359&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-video+card+-+nvidia-_-N82E16814126359&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5eX7BRDQARIsAMhYLP8R1c_zch1iGO5xuDaCmsR7Q6lUxumZq0KRVQAbn8i7TNGvCO8CDrkaAn_LEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks so much man! I really appreciate all the excellent info.  This is great news.  Not only is my CPU up to the task of running this game, but the graphics card you suggest is totally reasonably priced.  I was worried I was going to be dropping twice that to get to the recommended specs. Thanks again!

This will be my first time replacing a graphics card.  I watched a few videos and it seemed easy enough.  I have one question.  Do I need to uninstall video drivers prior to swapping the cards or because I'm swapping from NVIDIA to NVIDIA, is it safe to skip that and just update the drivers once the new card is in?  That's the one place I'm finding mixed info.

Edit: Dang, it looks like I waited too long.  The card you recommended is sold out.  Is this one comparable?

Edited by Zerocool83 - 04 Oct 2020 at 2:15pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 4:45am
IMO, yes, jump on it!

When you get the card, it should provide you with comprehensive instructions on how to install it, including driver info. The safest way I know is to delete your Nvidia drivers before you install the new card, and then go to Nvidia's website for the new one. Windows will power your monitor with generic drivers. Nvidia now has software they call Nvidia Experience that seems to streamline things going forward, but I don't know if it would be recommended to update from an older card. Perhaps their website has a FAQ for you.

If you really get stuck, DS is serious about Lifetime Support, and they wouldn't mind at all helping you upgrade. All the best!
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 6:20am
I like Gforce Experience myself, some don't. I have no idea why as I never had an issue with it.

It has the option to do a "Clean" install of graphics drivers. I find it to be useful.

Quote Zerocool83 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 1:47pm

IMO, yes, jump on it!

When you get the card, it should provide you with comprehensive instructions on how to install it, including driver info. The safest way I know is to delete your Nvidia drivers before you install the new card, and then go to Nvidia's website for the new one. Windows will power your monitor with generic drivers. Nvidia now has software they call Nvidia Experience that seems to streamline things going forward, but I don't know if it would be recommended to update from an older card. Perhaps their website has a FAQ for you.

If you really get stuck, DS is serious about Lifetime Support, and they wouldn't mind at all helping you upgrade. All the best!

Okay, great! I bought the card.  I'll just follow whatever instructions they supply.  I have one last question.  I believe the first card you showed me was factory overclocked.  I don't think the one I bought is, but I'm honestly not sure.  Is overclocking a graphics card super complicated? I want to get the best performance I can out of Cyberpunk, but I'm not terribly computer savvy and this type of thing scares me. I hope it's relatively straight forward.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 4:08am
The only thing it will do performance-wise is give you a few more frames per second. It will make the card run hotter and the fans will want to run longer and louder. If you do not have a high refresh monitor, (above 75 Hz) you won't see a thing. Most members who have had an opinion don't recommend overclocking, but rather just getting the best card for the job as you have done.

If you have a monitor that will display higher frames, you should begin with MSI Afterburner free software. I don't overclock my cards, so I've not used it, but I understand it is well recommended and easy to use.

I also use GForce Experience, and like it. It has a feature that will allow you to display some video data onscreen as you game. I suggest you get that installed and just check out what your gaming experience looks like before you tamper.

Quote Zerocool83 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by fwfdfireman

I like Gforce Experience myself, some don't. I have no idea why as I never had an issue with it.

It has the option to do a "Clean" install of graphics drivers. I find it to be useful.

Thanks for the tip.  I used Geforce experience and used the clean install option and it worked perfectly!

Quote Zerocool83 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 3:25pm

The only thing it will do performance-wise is give you a few more frames per second. It will make the card run hotter and the fans will want to run longer and louder. If you do not have a high refresh monitor, (above 75 Hz) you won't see a thing. Most members who have had an opinion don't recommend overclocking, but rather just getting the best card for the job as you have done.

If you have a monitor that will display higher frames, you should begin with MSI Afterburner free software. I don't overclock my cards, so I've not used it, but I understand it is well recommended and easy to use.

I also use GForce Experience, and like it. It has a feature that will allow you to display some video data onscreen as you game. I suggest you get that installed and just check out what your gaming experience looks like before you tamper.

Thanks for all your help, man! I got the card this weekend, installed it and ran clean install with Geforce Experience and everything went super smoothly.  I don't really have any recent games to test it out on, but I was able to run Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 and was at 60 FPS consistently and never dropped down at all.  Seems like I'm in a good spot to play Cyberpunk when it finally drops and I'm going to skip the overclocking.  I appreciate all your help.  I'm starting to have a little more confidence and who knows?  Maybe someday when my DS PC finally dies, I'll attempt to build one myself.  I've been watching some youtube videos and it's not quite as daunting as I originally thought it was.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 3:26am
'Member the GTX 1070s? Your card is a slight 8% behind one of those. Lots of power there.

I'm so glad everything went so well for you! Pleasure to help.
 Post Reply Post Reply