Post Date: 2022-10-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Stupid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Stupid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: AIO mounting orientation
    Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 12:13pm
On the LYNX Custom 1 order why are the radiator tube fittings "up". Everything I read tells me that is wrong. On a vertical front panel radiator installation the hose fittings should be on the bottom. On the LYNX the Radiator should be flipped 180^.   I want to go with an AIO but not mounted like that. Anyone have information on the reasoning behind the upside down placement?
.....or am I not seeing the picture correctly. Is the radiator mounted horizontally on the top oy the case??

Edited by Stupid - 09 Oct 2022 at 12:17pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 12:38pm
It makes no difference at all in rad performance. Gravity doesn’t come into play, the system closed and the pump keeping everything flowing just fine. My last 2 builds have it like that and I appreciate the hoses going into the top instead of crossing in front of the graphics card and into the bottom, both for looks and ease of video card removal.

Not much difference in the coolant going into the top, flowing down thru the tubes and then up and out versus going into the bottom, flowing up and and down and out.

Another concern some have and I used to have are the fans blowing in and not out.   Again, not much difference.    Blowing in gives the rad the coolest air up front and blowing out gets it out of the case.   Adequate airflow in the case is the way to go.   

Hope this helps.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 2:07pm
On EVGA Hybrids they recommend that the radiator's in/out fittings be above the pump, which is located on the card. They state it is for noise, if I remember correctly. So....IMO it probably matters as much as whether the fans were blowing in or out, like bpratt2 posted.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 8:34pm
Short answer:

Front mounted, tubes up is ill advised because of permeation creating larger air pockets near the in/outlets.

Long answer:

Stop Doing It Wrong: How to Kill Your CPU Cooler (AIO Mounting Orientation) | GamersNexus (YouTube)

"Thanks, Steve"

Originally posted by bprat22

My last 2 builds have it like that and I appreciate the hoses going into the top instead of crossing in front of the graphics card and into the bottom, both for looks and ease of video card removal.

In my case, even if the tube length would be sufficient -- doubtful -- the bend angles to get around the graphics card and PSU shroud would probably be more damaging.

Edited by MrCheetah - 09 Oct 2022 at 8:39pm
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 2:59am
MrCheetah…. Agree with your last statement.   I think it will reach, but at what cost.

Not to change any minds, as I mellow in my old age. LOL, but I would much rather have my cpu gaming temps go from 75.4c to 77.6c in 3-5 years, because of air permeation and possible an air bubble and a little noise, than the real world problem of flexing the tubes out of the way to replace my graphics card and having them snap or leak from the heat making them brittle, etc.

Stupid View Drop Down

Quote Stupid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 5:00am

It makes no difference at all in rad performance. Gravity doesn’t come into play, the system closed and the pump keeping everything flowing just fine. My last 2 builds have it like that and I appreciate the hoses going into the top instead of crossing in front of the graphics card and into the bottom, both for looks and ease of video card removal.

Not much difference in the coolant going into the top, flowing down thru the tubes and then up and out versus going into the bottom, flowing up and and down and out.

Another concern some have and I used to have are the fans blowing in and not out.   Again, not much difference.    Blowing in gives the rad the coolest air up front and blowing out gets it out of the case.   Adequate airflow in the case is the way to go.   

Hope this helps.

I do appreciate the time you took for the reply. I'm afraid that you are wrong. You have had good luck with your 2 systems and that's great. Gravity certainly does play a crucial part in fluid dynamics.   You need to watch this video. The vid shows a modified radiator and pump housing with glass windows installed. Bubbles in the pump hosing are bad for several reasons as explained in the vid.

Stupid View Drop Down

Quote Stupid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 5:02am

MrCheetah…. Agree with your last statement.   I think it will reach, but at what cost.

Not to change any minds, as I mellow in my old age. LOL, but I would much rather have my cpu gaming temps go from 75.4c to 77.6c in 3-5 years, because of air permeation and possible an air bubble and a little noise, than the real world problem of flexing the tubes out of the way to replace my graphics card and having them snap or leak from the heat making them brittle, etc.

Yep.....don't mess with brittle hoses. especially the Teflon lined flavor.
Stupid View Drop Down

Quote Stupid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 5:07am
Originally posted by hoserator

On EVGA Hybrids they recommend that the radiator's in/out fittings be above the pump, which is located on the card. They state it is for noise, if I remember correctly. So....IMO it probably matters as much as whether the fans were blowing in or out, like bpratt2 posted.

Ideally you want a portion of the radiator higher than the pump, not the hose barbs.

Edited by Stupid - 10 Oct 2022 at 5:55am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 7:22am
Luckily for those that think gravity plays a part or an air bubble will effect performance down the line, flipping the rad is an easier enough job or even better, just ask DS in comments on the bottom to mount it to your preference.

Big%20Smile
Stupid View Drop Down

Quote Stupid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 9:53am

Luckily for those that think gravity plays a part or an air bubble will effect performance down the line, flipping the rad is an easier enough job or even better, just ask DS in comments on the bottom to mount it to your preference.

Big%20Smile

....a bubble containing any atmosphere or gas whether in solution or gaseous envelope has mass. All mass is affected by gravity. In solution the lift of a bubble is greater than the gravity enacting on the bubble...so it rises. Gravity indeed still is pulling on the bubble. Simple physics. Gravity on bubbles in this application is inconsequential, but still present.    DS will not relocate the cooling hoses to the bottom of a front mounted radiator, I asked them. Their reply was "the hoses are too short"
Cheers mate

Edited by Stupid - 10 Oct 2022 at 9:53am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 10:31am
Cheers.  Big%20Smile
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 10:55am
For those reading this discussion, this was a paid advertisement by Noctua for buying their Noctua air cooler and getting away from liquid cooling, water flow, gravity and air permeation.   Just mount it, plug in the fans and away you go for years to come.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 4:26am
Stupid View Drop Down

Quote Stupid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 11:03am

For those reading this discussion, this was a paid advertisement by Noctua for buying their Noctua air cooler and getting away from liquid cooling, water flow, gravity and air permeation.   Just mount it, plug in the fans and away you go for years to come.

A citation for the accusation is required. Otherwise I take your statement as hearsay. I'm a proponent of water cooling. My new system has water cooling. Demonstrated as being superior in thermal dissipation. Install it anyway that you see fit.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 11:33am
I am also a proponent of liquid cooling (it is not water, it is coolant). However, the NH-D15 is considered by the industry as good as the best AIO (not hearsay, I have one) and only second in cooling to a full open loop system like the Hydro-Lux Pro sold here (also have one). 

In my very limited experience, the liquid cooled system has been a school in dealing with the various shortcomings involved with liquids (they want to escape their containment) and very efficient in cooling the pc. The Noctua has been very efficient in cooling the pc and super quiet! Its only shortcoming is its size and the way it invades RAM space.

That's my nickel's worth (inflation).
Smile
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 11:39am
I was kidding.    DS just brought back Noctua as an option and we’ve had fun recently and over the years talking about the plus and minuses of both.   No wrong answers.   

Joking around has always been a plus for this customer site.   We tag an appropriate emoji to prevent misunderstandings.

I also like AIO coolers.    I like Noctua.     They both work.    

Getting back to your initial concerns, I guess if the front rad mount can only have a top hose hookup, which you don’t want, I get it, maybe a rad mounted under the top if it fits. Or, an entirely different case or cooler that addresses your concerns.   

Noctua eliminates all the concerns you mentioned, and cools great, but it’s size, looks, etc turn off a lot of people. Not for everyone.

Good luck.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 11:43am
Hi hose.   You posted as I , slowly, typed.       

This all brings back fond memories from years ago.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 11:54am
@bprat22:

LOL
I have improved my typing. Now I use 2 fingers but still can't type only looking at the screen. Confused

You guys are the ones that helped me through my nightmare with the fun of full loops. Strong hahaha

Apologies to Stupid on the hijacking of the thread.

Edited by hoserator - 11 Oct 2022 at 11:56am
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 3:50pm

Hope this helps.

don't forget about case pressure.  there is a difference with case type and number of fans and which configuration they are in.  you could wind up with a dust magnet or be relatively dust free (requiring less maintenance) with poor thermals.  bottom line, it really does benefit the end user to educate him/her/they self on these things in order to reduce the number of surprises/disappointments that can spoil an expensive new build.

as for the pump/rad orientation that's been beaten to death here, you can avoid the issue entirely with an open/custom loop, as the pump is rarely ever oriented at the top of a loop since it isn't inside the CPU block (as it is with AIO's).

... fixed broken quote format ...

Edited by Snaike - 11 Oct 2022 at 5:27pm
Stupid View Drop Down

Quote Stupid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 4:37am
.....all good. I dropped the ball not researching the topic first. The polite replies reflects on the people here.  Fortunately I had the option of top mount for the radiator.

Cheers!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 5:19am
Strong   Good to hear.

Top mounted rads used to be the gold standard and what the vast majority of builds used years ago.  Not sure why the change to front mount.  Maybe easier to install or service.  Not sure.  There were instances of the top  rad interfering with some motherboards.

I always preferred the top mount.  Looks cleaner, opens the cavity for cabling and graphics card length, etc.  Drive bays also used to sit next to the motherboard before they migrated to behind the right cover. 

Gotta get what you want. 

Have fun.  Big%20Smile

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 6:11am
Another benefit of top rads is that heat rises and having top fans pushing air out will keep the case cooler. The thermal effects on having that hot air go through the rads are really up to your particular setup but IMO not major.

Enjoy.
Smile

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 8:47pm

just so you know the stuff they're using now with the QD's allows the tubing to be disconnected and rotated out of the way w/o spilling/breaking anything.  not sure if you have to request that, but i watched their YT channel tutorials on loop filling/draining.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5csB1I-Sn-w&t=1s
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 2:41am
I don't think you can get QDs on AIOs. That would be for an open loop system.
Smile
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 10:56am
Originally posted by hoserator

I don't think you can get QDs on AIOs. That would be for an open loop system.
Smile
bprat's wording made it sound like he was talking about acrylic tubing "cracking" when he would try to navigate around it to get to the components.  that's not really a problem any longer with what they're using these days. also the tubing itself isn't as brittle as the acrylic stuff was.
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 1:08pm
No worries, I think he was just saying how some of us feel about moving tubing that has been in one position for years in a heated environment. Old habits die hard.
Smile

QD's are great on open loops, both hardline and soft tubing.
 Post Reply Post Reply