FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Air Cooled versus Liquid Cooled

Post Date: 2008-12-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tworattle View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tworattle Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Air Cooled versus Liquid Cooled
    Posted: 21 Dec 2008 at 10:36am
 Do I really need LC to overcolck my computer? I'm not a hardcore gamer, I just want something thats going to last me awhile and that I can upgrade after a couple of years. I was just curious as to what Kind of overclock I could expect on a i7 920 and 940 2.66 and 2.93 on Air versus LC. I really dont wan't something with a ton of work after I get it. I'm looking at the 950i case and was wondering if that case alone is good enough with air cooling or do I need to add the performance fans and  mounted 120mm fan exhaust on the side panel.
jtspectra2 View Drop Down

Quote jtspectra2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2008 at 10:37am
you will get a much higher and stable OC with LC.  
Q9650 @ 4.2Ghz( Liquid Cooled), 4GB 1600Mhz DDR3, GTX280 SLI, VRaptor,HAF 932
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2008 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by tworattle

Do I really need LC to overcolck my computer? I'm not a hardcore gamer, I just want something thats going to last me awhile and that I can upgrade after a couple of years. I was just curious as to what Kind of overclock I could expect on a i7 920 and 940 2.66 and 2.93 on Air versus LC. I really dont wan't something with a ton of work after I get it. I'm looking at the 950i case and was wondering if that case alone is good enough with air cooling or do I need to add the performance fans and  mounted 120mm fan exhaust on the side panel.

the 950si is made more for liquid cooling, if you want better cooling stock go with the HAF.

no you don't need LC to OC, but LC is the most stable.

however stage 2 and 3 air seem to be doing good, I think we just has a customer that got to 3.8GHz on air from a 920. we have not seen enough of systems for me to tell you what the average speeds are and DS does not guarantee any OC speeds, but the 920 with LC has been around 3.8GHz also, you have to remember every chip is not the same, one 920 could hit 3.6 with LC and the other could hit 4.0Ghz.

why don't you config a system in the config section and we can tell you what we think and how to make it better/save money.
tworattle View Drop Down

Quote tworattle Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2008 at 7:09pm
I defintetly like the look of the 950i over thecoolmaster HAF that ya'll have. I'm not opposed to LC if it will give me the best performance and OC and not fry my computer from all the heat inside the case from just OC on air, my only concern is replacing the liquid and if it is intensive maintianence. I'm just curious, if I do get the 950i should I get the add on side panel with the 120mm fans over the CPU and video card or just the CPU or nothing at all? Also, what is the deal with the Zalman performance fans? Is that upgrade worth it?
jtspectra2 View Drop Down

Quote jtspectra2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2008 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by harleyman

I don't think that water cooling is need for the OC that you will get for everyday use .... Most of the computers I see from here have better temps on air than water....

IMO water does not provide a more stable OC...Thats nonsense to me..What provides a stable OC is setting it up correctly in the first place...you frick up a voltage setting and it will be/get unstable.All the water in the world won't help...

thats not true, you can get a much higher voltage out your board with the correct cooling. ya its possible to get a very stable OC on air,but Liquid allows for a higher , cooler , and more stable OC.
Q9650 @ 4.2Ghz( Liquid Cooled), 4GB 1600Mhz DDR3, GTX280 SLI, VRaptor,HAF 932
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2008 at 8:22pm
LC does a much better job of scattering heat then air does.

LC has no headache.

the HAF will save you money on cooling but if you want the 950si go for it, just add the fans to the chassis and if you can get the fan for the back of the PC also for both CPU and GPU.
 Post Reply Post Reply