FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Air Cooling and i7 8700k

Post Date: 2018-10-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nash123 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nash123 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Air Cooling and i7 8700k
    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 4:44am
What has your experience been with air cooling an i7 8700k?  What kind of clock speeds did the CPU get under load?  What kind of temperatures did you get?  Was the CPU able to "auto over-clock" to boost speeds?  Were you able to manually over clock the base speed?  Sorry for so many questions.  There is plenty of info regarding liquid cooling.  However, air cooling is getting kind of rare today.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 7:06am
The air cooler offered here will be fine for non - overclocking and will allow the Turbo to boost and run.   Beyond that, a top of the line air cooler, like the Noctua NH-D15 will match a liquid cooler like the H110i in temps and stay quieter doing it.  Plus, the air coolers will run and run without any pump to fail, leaks, etc.  Liquid coolers like Corsair do have a very good track record in reliability but air coolers leave little to go wrong.

For just Turbo boost, which is all most need with 8700k,  a mid level air cooler works.  For overclocking, and running intense loads over time, a top tier air cooler or liquid is recommended.

Big%20Smile

Myrkul23 View Drop Down

Quote Myrkul23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 7:27pm
The last build I had with DS I used the noctua air cooler. When I go to custom build a PC I only see air stage 1 but I'm not sure if this is a noctua cooler. Do you happen to know what component is used in air stage 1 cooling?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 11:47pm
The Noctua was deleted from the options because of the shipping. It appears that there were a lot of claims due to damaged coolers. It is very big!
We suggest the Corsair AIOs instead.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 4:38am
It's not a Noctua. It's like bprat said: a mid level performer. It looks like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, a very well regarded part, but some have said that's not the brand they got. It seems it's subject to what is available in large quantities at any give time. In the end, it's DS, and they never skimp on quality.

I, too, had a Noctua that never failed in 7 1/2 years of constant use. It's too bad they can't offer them anymore. I'm happy with the Corsair H110i I have.
 Post Reply Post Reply