FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Air flow and the pro

Post Date: 2008-02-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cronedog View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cronedog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Air flow and the pro
    Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 11:45pm
I have heard a few voice concerns of the air flow in the pro case and have 2 questions.

1)  It is listed as having "Front Intake Blizzard Cooling".  This might be a potentially stupid question but....I dont see any openings on the front.  I do see a fan in the hard drive bays, does it just take the air from the bottom of the case?

2)  Someone mentioned that mesh drive bay covers might be a good plan for this case.  Would you agree?   Would you guys sell them?
Duke View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 8:11pm
1. Yes the pro (750Si) case has no front openings.
2. We sell the mesh cover + fan mod. PM for a price.
EMAIL & MSN:
[email protected]
Duke View Drop Down

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 6:21pm
O'yeah it looks just like this:

EMAIL & MSN:
[email protected]
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 7:13pm
Looks a lot better then I thought it would look like.

Too bad there isnt much you can do with the floppy bays =P
sundowner View Drop Down

Quote sundowner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 5:07am

My modded Pro case that DSO did for me back in December.

Edited by sundowner - 23 Feb 2008 at 5:07am
Pro case with extra fan
Quad Q6600 2.4 OC'd 3.1!
Nvidia 8800GT
Asus Maximus Formula Mobo
2xgb 800mhz corsair

xfire - xuntiltheendx
cronedog View Drop Down

Quote cronedog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 4:24pm
Duke, that is gorgeous.  Does it come in blue?  From that picture it looks like it takes up 3 drive bays, but the email said it would take only 2.
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 4:34pm
It will take 3 drive bays to accommodate a 120mm fan. Each bay is about 1.6" high by 5.25" wide . 12cm is about 4.5", so 3 bays for sure. You might be able to get them to install an 80mm fan in two bays if you had your heart set on 2 DVD drives.
Duke View Drop Down

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 6:58pm
Cronedog,

Sorry, in the email I was trying to go off of my memory , it'll take 3 free bays.
EMAIL & MSN:
[email protected]
cronedog View Drop Down

Quote cronedog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2008 at 3:13pm
Maybe my question about coming in blue didn't make sense.  Is that red glow from leds on the fan, or just an ultra bright case shining through. 

p.s. check you inbox, I wanna buy one.
Vince View Drop Down

Digital Storm Engineering

Quote Vince Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2008 at 6:36pm
The red glow does come from the fan's LED's.  So to answer your question, cronedog, Yes, you can order a fan with blue LED's instead.
cronedog View Drop Down

Quote cronedog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2008 at 10:04pm
I just got this in today and cant quite figure out how to install it.  I found a 3pin connection for the fan, and cut up some string off of my binds to tie it to the drive cage but...how do you install the mesh covers.

I called customer service and they said they would email me directions, but since they didn't come, and the offices will be closed for a few days...I was hoping the community could help me out.
sundowner View Drop Down

Quote sundowner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2008 at 10:47pm
sorry Cronedog, I've no idea how to install the mesh cage, it came preinstalled for me.
Pro case with extra fan
Quad Q6600 2.4 OC'd 3.1!
Nvidia 8800GT
Asus Maximus Formula Mobo
2xgb 800mhz corsair

xfire - xuntiltheendx
Mifunego View Drop Down

Quote Mifunego Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2008 at 10:31pm
I'm interested in these "concerns about airflow" too.  Of course, airflow concerns = heat concerns, so....
  • Are there any temp measurements that can be used to document heat issues?
  • At what level of hardware componentry does airflow (or lack thereof) become an issue?
  • Assuming that one wants to utilize the many 5.25" bays with, well, 5.25" devices, is there any other way to realistically improve airflow?
  • I don't mean to sound cynical, but if airflow really is a problem with this case, why is it still being used?

As you've probably guessed, I've already ordered a system with a 750 case.  I like the styling, the size and the price, not to mention that it was the case recommended with the Category 2 package.  I don't plan on overclocking (famous last words) the already normally cool E8400, although I did go with stage 2 cooling.  The other items contributing to the overall heat level would be the 550w PSU, the 9800GT GPU, 2GB of 1066MHz Dominator RAM, a couple 7200rpm HDs and a couple optical drives.  For now.  I guess I may just be getting all excited and paranoid as I anxiously await this killer rig. 

Feel free to dispel my paranoia.  Shocked 
Bewheeled, in a demonic fashion.
cronedog View Drop Down

Quote cronedog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2008 at 11:29pm
Turns out I just had to glue the thing on.  It works great!  I lowered my full load cpu temps by 20 degrees Fahrenheit.

The airflow isn't good compared to some of the other premium cases, but that doesn't mean it sucks absolutely.  With 1 GPU, an e6850, and 1 harddrive, the cooling was just fine....but with this thing I can get better stability for overclocking, or just extend the life of the products.

I also thought this case looked sexy.  It is a step up from the cheaper ones. 

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Mifunego

I'm interested in these "concerns about airflow" too.  Of course, airflow concerns = heat concerns, so....
  • Are there any temp measurements that can be used to document heat issues?
  • At what level of hardware componentry does airflow (or lack thereof) become an issue?
  • Assuming that one wants to utilize the many 5.25" bays with, well, 5.25" devices, is there any other way to realistically improve airflow?
  • I don't mean to sound cynical, but if airflow really is a problem with this case, why is it still being used?

Feel free to dispel my paranoia.  Shocked 

1. Yes. Coretemp, Speedfan, and Rivatuner come to mind.

2. Overclocked quads and SLI cards that do not exhaust their hot air outside of the case.

3. Yes, you can upgrade the intake and exhaust fan and realize about a 10*C drop in your temperatures.

4. Airflow is a *potential* problem, depending on configuration. Now that stage 3 cooling is available, the potential for issues is much less. A case, like anything else, needs to be selected with the whole system in mind.
Mifunego View Drop Down

Quote Mifunego Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 7:28pm
Thanks for the response, Tyler.
Originally posted by Tyler Lowe

Actually I meant are there any documented measurements of heat issues with regards to airflow with this case.

2. Overclocked quads and SLI cards that do not exhaust their hot air outside of the case.

So then my setup does not apply.

3. Yes, you can upgrade the intake and exhaust fan and realize about a 10*C drop in your temperatures.

I was wondering more about "custom" cooling additions to this case (if necessary) if the 5.25 bays are otherwise utilized.  But it sounds like I can just buy better fans to replace the stockers.

4. Airflow is a *potential* problem, depending on configuration. Now that stage 3 cooling is available, the potential for issues is much less. A case, like anything else, needs to be selected with the whole system in mind.

Paranoia is a hard habit to break.
Bewheeled, in a demonic fashion.
cronedog View Drop Down

Quote cronedog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 11:27pm

Intake fan?  Part of the reason I got the mod was that all I saw was the exhaust on the back.  Is there another opening that I just dont see?

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 11:40pm
Yes, there is an intake in the lower front portion of the case. The intakes are under the front. It's not the most effective thing though.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Mifunego

Thanks for the response, Tyler.

Actually I meant are there any documented measurements of heat issues with regards to airflow with this case.

So then my setup does not apply.

I was wondering more about "custom" cooling additions to this case (if necessary) if the 5.25 bays are otherwise utilized.  But it sounds like I can just buy better fans to replace the stockers.

Paranoia is a hard habit to break.

I may have been one of the first to note on the forums that the then "Pro case" now the 750, had some airflow issues. I posted my temperatures at the time, along with the improvements I achieved through case modification and fan replacement. Since I had opted for 2 DVD ROM drives, I could not use a 120mm fan for intake in that space and instead installed an 80mm fan.

Prior to making this change, my idle temps were at between 38*C and 40*C on the CPU, with my hottest core around 52*C. This was with an overclock of 2.7 GHz. After the mods, I was able to increase my overclock to 2.92GHz while lowering temperatures to an average idle of 36*C on the CPU, and 48*C on my hottest core. I then replaced the thermal interface on my motherboard and the CPU heatsink and now idle at about 34*C on the CPU, Hottest Core at around 42*C at an overclock of 3.1GHz.

The largest gain came from replacing the exhaust fan. If you wanted an easy to do improvement, that would be it. The second largest gain came from the intake. Even if all you did was to replace a single empty bay cover with a mesh cover, you would see an improvement in temps. I saw a 4*C drop even without the fan.

Your setup, however, should be fine.
Schuyler View Drop Down

Quote Schuyler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 8:34am
I live in Hawaii and I also have the mesh mod, and my computer stays really cool with the extra fan.
Digital Storm 750Si
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz
2GB DDR2 Corsair at 800MHz XMS2
nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB
 Post Reply Post Reply