Post Date: 2009-04-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tomcat View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tomcat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: alt-tab
    Posted: 04 Apr 2009 at 5:52pm
not sure this is the place to post but since it has to deal with windows maybe it is. Does anyone know how to disable certian shortcut combos such as alt-tab preferably for when im playing games and i acidentaly hit both and by the time i get back in game im dead?
tkicepick View Drop Down

Quote tkicepick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 12:45am
You learn not to smash the keyboard with your head/fists in frustration, when you get killed in, say, CS.

And if you're just accidentally hitting alt-tab...Either there's a cat walking across your desk, or you really should learn to play guitar or something and gain the physical coordination needed to play games.
"PS im sure my job as a helicopter pilot gives me plenty of coodination for that sort of thing" - Tomcat
tomcat View Drop Down

Quote tomcat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 2:19am
Well, lets say your not playing CS and your playing an MMO and you have more than one toolbar and the second toolbar is controled by Alt+# and I want to say tab through my targets while attacking I kind of have to do so without switching the command Alt to something different but thanx for the sarcasim anyhow..

and for the future if you cant be helpful dont post

PS im sure my job as a helicopter pilot gives me plenty of coodination for that sort of thing
Kliebor2 View Drop Down

Quote Kliebor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 2:01pm
Unfortunately there is fairly little you can do about alt-tab. You can try to set the key combo to something in WoW, but in my tests it seems windows intercepts that particular key combo before you can.

Rather like alt-f5 it seems windows loves that combo and intercepts the call fast.

Some gaming keyboards let you disable the windows key, maybe one of them has a hardware switch that will let you disable the alt-tab combo.

Best I can think of.

Dave Ouch
Digital Storm 950Si - Q9450 Quad Core @ 3 Ghz
Dual PNY OC2 GTX 560Ti
8 Gigabytes DDR2/800
2 Western Digital 500 GB SATAII 7200 RPM HD
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2009 at 2:11pm
I dont have the resources to do it where i am at now, but there is indeed a way to disable key combos. ill have to remember how to do it though.
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."
tomcat View Drop Down

Quote tomcat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2009 at 2:48pm
cool that would be awsome if you could help me out with that
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 5:04pm
So far what ive seen is that you either have to edit the registry (which i avoid doing) or you make a program to run that will do that for you. If you play WoW, look on the European (EU) forums for a solution.  The best bet! google it. there are plenty of people that can tell you how to to make a small program to do it for you that you can execute when you need it to run but, have the combination when you arent gaming.

also your OS will probably matter.  most registry "tweaks" are more for the 3.1, 95, 98 line then the NT, 2000, XP or vista line.

http://ask.metafilter.com/85437/How-can-I-temporarily-disable-the-alttab-shortcut-when-Im-playing-games-in-Windows-XP
works with vista and XP.

I would run a virus scan on the files first.  you never know what can be hiding.

Edited by Kaleliar - 13 Apr 2009 at 5:15pm
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."
 Post Reply Post Reply