FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Am I missing any necessary upgrades?

Post Date: 2019-09-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tranquil View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tranquil Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Am I missing any necessary upgrades?
    Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 3:42am
Budget:
Not looking to put much more money into it but if it will help considerably then will.

Expectations:
I want this new PC to be able to game at high performance, and possibly stream as well.

May also be interested in running a second monitor, so if anyone has some input on what my build can handle please, any advice is listened too and appreciated.

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (microATX) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Fully Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 1: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Single Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: MSI 24 inch MAG24C Curved Series (144Hz Refresh) (1ms Response) (1920x1080)
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Digital Storm MasterKeys Lite Bundle (RGB) Keyboard & Mouse
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Tranquil Trees Loom Ever Fruitfully Amongst All Winds Encountered
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 1:34pm
Welcome to the forum Tranquil!

You will love the Lumos! Excellent CPU, Ram, fan upgrade and an good choice for the all-around mid-range GPU with the RTX 2070 Super.   The 2070 Super will handle 1080P and 2 K resolutions and multi monitors at high game settings very well.   If you plan in future to use higher resolution 4K monitors, then you would want to use the RTX 2080 Super or better to maintain high game settings and high frame rates.   BTW we usually don't recommend Overclocking the GPU on air cooling alone as the gain is minimal and not worth the added heat.

I can make some suggestions to improve the build a bit.

You should change the Drive 1 selection. You chose a standard SATA III speed M.2 Drive 1.   Instead, change to the better Samsung Evo 970 Pro M.2 NVME or best Samsung Evo 970 Plus M.2 NVME Drive1 and you will be using drives that utilize the video PCIE bus to go 5x faster than SATA drives. Big improvement!

Suggest you change motherboard.   You have selected an MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge Micro ATX size mobo in an ATX sized case, which necessarily reduces from full features due to limited board size.   Move up to the better MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Wi-Fi) full ATX size motherboard, or if you don't require wifi use the excellent ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming full ATX size motherboard.

Recommend a PSU change to the Corsair 850W Corsair RM850x Gold efficiency 850W all modular PSU with a 5 yr mfg warranty.   DS parts only carry the 1 yr system parts warranty.   You will have plenty of power with the 850W model from Corsair.

Cooler improvement.   Suggest you go with the Corsair H100i PRO - 240 mm AIO no maintenance cooler, or the better Corsair H115i PRO - 280 mm AIO no maintenance cooler.   They will do a much better job and have longer factory warranties than the DS cooler.   Both Corsair Stage 2 coolers would allow you to upgrade to a full Stage 2 Overclock on that excellent I7-9700K CPU.   

See what you think....
Tranquil View Drop Down

Quote Tranquil Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 6:28pm
I like the idea of changing the motherboard for sure and even the PSY , but how do I go about changing this in my order, and is there someone I could talk on the phone with to discuss the changes and pricing?
Tranquil Trees Loom Ever Fruitfully Amongst All Winds Encountered
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 8:49pm
All you do is call DS Sales and you can discuss the changes you are interested in making, the cost, and any delay it may or may not cause.
DS will work with you...they themselves often direct customers to post builds first to the forum for tweaking...lol.    
 Post Reply Post Reply