FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

An overclocking question

Post Date: 2008-02-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cronedog View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cronedog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: An overclocking question
    Posted: 17 Feb 2008 at 11:14pm
I should start by saying that I am not looking for a big overclock.  I don't want to have to change voltages, and would be happy with a few MHz.  I know this sounds crazy, but I want to do this more as an academic exercise then a risky performance boosting task.

Assumption 1:  It is a good idea to run the CPU FSB in a 1:1 ratio with your memory.

Assumption 2:  The FSB of the processor is quad pumped, and thus for the 1:1 above, my 1333 default is really 333MHz.  (I am rather sure for this one as the 333 times the multiplier of 9 gives the 3.0GHz)

Assumption 3:  DDR2 ram is double pumped as thus my DDR2-800 has a real frequency of 400MHz.

Conclusion:  If I set this at a 1:1 I should be able to keep my DDR2 at default, this would make my FSB of processor be 400MHz, times the multiplier of 9 would give me a 3.6GHz operating frequency.

My problem is that when I go into the bios, and link the frequency of the ram to the CPU at a 1:1, it reads ram frequency of 1333.  My default right now has it at 800.  So this readout seems to be operating frequencies. 

I also discard changes upon exiting because I don't want my misunderstanding to run my ram at almost double the rated speed.

Can someone please help me fix my confusion.
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2008 at 11:45pm
You're trying to do too much of the math for the machine. 1:1 means effective speeds. So you're telling the machine to run your RAM at 667*2, and the FSB at 333*9. What you want to be telling it, is to run at 2:1, or in "sync mode". This will get you what you're looking for.
cronedog View Drop Down

Quote cronedog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 12:02am
So just to make sure I understand 100%, the bios option of 1:1 matches effective speeds.

But when people recommend that the cpu and ram frequencies match(unpumped)  since the cpu pumps twice as hard, I need a 2:1?

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 12:23am
Your first statement is correct.

FSB (2) : RAM (1)

This is what you're looking for.

You're matching non-pumped speeds.
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 11:42am
If I'm following you, what you are proposing is not exactly a trivial overclock. Going from 3.0 GHz to 3.6 GHz, if you can do it at all, will probably require a substantial increase in Vcore up to the neighborhood of 4.0 1.4 V. Of course, it depends on how many hours (minutes?) you want your machine to run without errors.

If it were possible to set Vc = 4 V, it would, of course, mean instant death for the CPU and any other parts on the motherboard that got in the way. Embarrassed

Edited by Bill the Cat - 18 Feb 2008 at 12:06pm
3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 11:48am
4.0V??!!??

LOL

Bill, did you mean 1.4V?

cronedog View Drop Down

Quote cronedog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2008 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Bill the Cat

If I'm following you, what you are proposing is not exactly a trivial overclock. Going from 3.0 GHz to 3.6 GHz, if you can do it at all, will probably require a substantial increase in Vcore up to the neighborhood of 4.0 1.4 V. Of course, it depends on how many hours (minutes?) you want your machine to run without errors.

If it were possible to set Vc = 4 V, it would, of course, mean instant death for the CPU and any other parts on the motherboard that got in the way. Embarrassed

Thank you for your concern.  I perhaps wasn't clear.  I only want to do a trivial over clock for learning purposes.  The 3.0-->3.6 was stating the max over clock assuming sync mode and given my ram is rated at speed DDR2-800.

p.s.  I love that this computer came with a community.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 2:06am
A 25% jump in processor speed is not a trivial change, but going from 3.0 GHz to 3.6 GHz is not rocket science. I suspect your train of thought is exactly the same that mine was. 800 MHz RAM matches a 1600 MHZ FSB which produces a 3.6 GHz CPU.  Cool! Why not crank up the FSB clock and see what happens? It pretty staight forward.... Once you realize you should unlink the FSB and RAM speeds and set each one independently. The BIOS will pick the CPU voltage for you, or set it manually to 1.4 volts or less to be safe. It should work long enough to boot into Windows and see what CPU-Z and CoreTemp have to say.

After I ran the experiment six months ago, I decided to leave it turned on. What the heck.....

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 2:13am
Bill, your sig...

The Vcore...

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 11:38am

Tyler,

Thanks for being my editor. I just can't get used to the idea that modern chips run at such ludicrously low voltages and the the difference between life and death for a chip is measured in millivolts. My grip on the present comes and goes.... Advice seekers take note.

Clown
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 11:55am
I've got a VCore of 1.408.  This has been an extremely stable rig since I've gotten it.  I haven't had one BSOD, lock-up or glitch from the time I kicked this thing on.

Well, one thing did happen when I booted it up for the first time.  It drained all the power from my neighbor's houses to boot this nuclear beast.
Thumbs%20Up
phantomdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phantomdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 10:01pm

I have the q6600 oc'd to 3.6 with a vcore at 1.52 using liquid chilled.  Was running great until it just upped & died on me this week.  I suspect it is the power supply but won't know for sure until the DS guys open it up and do surgery.  In the meantime, I am going to as the electric company if I can get a special rate since I was sucking up most of the electric in my block. 

NVIDIA 780i Core 2 Quad
4GB DDR2 Corsair 1066MHz Dominator
2 Quad Core Q9450 3.5Ghz
8800GTX 768MB SLI
Liquid Chilled FrostBite CPU
X-FI XtremeGamer
850W SilverStone PSU
TJ-9 Extreme
Vista 64

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 11:06pm

Tyler,

Thanks for being my editor. I just can't get used to the idea that modern chips run at such ludicrously low voltages and the the difference between life and death for a chip is measured in millivolts. My grip on the present comes and goes.... Advice seekers take note.

Clown

It's O.K. Bill, I still find myself slipping up from time to time and saying I have 2Mb of system RAM instead of 2Gb. Something in my head also occasionally rejects the current reality.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2008 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by phantomdog

I have the q6600 oc'd to 3.6 with a vcore at 1.52 using liquid chilled.  Was running great until it just upped & died on me this week.  I suspect it is the power supply but...

I was going to say enjoy it while it lasts, but oops, to late! While you're waiting to hear from DSO, join me in practicing saying "electromigration". I'm just waiting for the big day myself.

Seriously, I hope it is your PSU and not a fried CPU. Is (was?) your Q6600 a G3 or a G0?

Edited by Bill the Cat - 20 Feb 2008 at 11:31pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phantomdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 7:45am
Bill,
It was G0...it never even had a hicup in those 2 weeks.  The sizzle-crackling sound coming from the power supply is why I hope it is only the PSU...funny it didn't smell anything though...
NVIDIA 780i Core 2 Quad
2 Quad Core Q9450 3.5Ghz
8800GTX 768MB SLI
X-FI XtremeGamer
850W SilverStone PSU
TJ-9 Extreme
Vista 64
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 9:57am
I'm just curious.... Did you dial in this overclock or did DSO do it? Also, where are you getting the Vcore reading from; BIOS, CPU-Z, etc?

If your machine is only 2 weeks old, you could be the victim of any one of a number of "enfant" failures. Unfortunately that's just the way the computer industry is these days. It's cheaper to let customers find the defective products than it is to test them in the factory or make them defect free in the first place. My first WD Raptor disk drive died in less than a week. You can't really complain though. 15 - 20 years ago, my first disk drive was 240 megabytes and cost over $600. The 150 Gigabyte Raptor was just over $200. I'm willing to do a little QA for that kind of discount. Still it's a pain until the shake down cruise is over.

It seems highly unlikely that you could cook a G0 at 1.52 V in just two weeks, but I don't really know. I believe that voltage exceeds, or at least comes very very close to exceeding, the CPU's operating limit. Can someone more knowledgeable confirm or deny the Vc limit is either 1.5 or possibly 1.55 V regardless of operating temperature?
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phantomdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 12:24pm
DSO did the overclock.  As I indicated before, the CPU was liquid chilled and from all the readings I was looking at (CPU-Z, Speedfan) all temps were with normal.   Of course bios had everthing that was over the manufactures suggested limits in red (If I remember vcore, fsb, etc).

According to Duke, the 1.52-1.53 was a bit high, but was tested at that level with no bsod's so not to worry.
NVIDIA 780i Core 2 Quad
2 Quad Core Q9450 3.5Ghz
8800GTX 768MB SLI
X-FI XtremeGamer
850W SilverStone PSU
TJ-9 Extreme
Vista 64
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 4:24pm
1.5 and beyond does seem quite high.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by EdH63

1.5 and beyond does seem quite high.

I can't interpret the damn data sheet! I wish Intel would just spit it out. Perhaps it is somewhat dependent on temperature or operating frequency.

Regardless, it's DSO's problem if the CPU frys in the first 3 years. I wouldn't juice it quite that much, but I defer to the pros.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 10:08pm
intel core 2s are rated for up to 1.5v... so 1.5 isn't a problem and i've seen some people with 1.6v as well.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 11:15pm
There is a pithy aphorism that goes something like:

"Before you try to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you."

Edited by Bill the Cat - 22 Feb 2008 at 10:24am
Rajeev View Drop Down

Digital Storm Logistics

Quote Rajeev Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 9:36pm
This is my first post so I'll go ahead and introduce myself, I'm the guy who overclock's most of the computers that leave DS, at least in the last six months.

Any gripes or complaints can be aimed at me.

Usually when I OC a computer I pretty much know how much I need to give a CPU to achieve a certain frequency.

My experience has shown me that 1.5v on an Intel CPU, especially a Quad Core is not an acceptable amount.

A "High" voltage in my opinion on an Intel CPU is anything above 1.575 for a quad core processor.

A Dual Core processor, obviously operating at 1.5v is high, but the computer I own, an E6600 has 1.6v on the processor and it's OC'd to 3.6 GHz.

Obviously some chips will always OC differently, some really only need 1.5v, but those are rare chips, I've seen maybe a handful in my time at DS.

Sometimes people misunderstand, or are afraid of applying voltage on a CPU. The Quadcore's, if cooled correctly can operate on voltage's around 1.65v. BY NO MEANS should anybody run a CPU at that voltage, but from my experience an Intel Quad Core processor has that extreme limit for voltage.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 10:26pm
Welcome to the forums Rajeev! Keep up the awesome work in the facility. It's great to see more and more employee's becoming active in our community.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 10:43pm
Ahhhh!  Fresh meat!
bfrank2me View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bfrank2me Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 1:46am
Care to put some lotion on your skin?!!!

...the first hundred years are the hardest
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phantomdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 7:16am
Thanks for the input Rajeev...it always helps to hear from the team at DS that builds these machines.  Keep up the good work!Big%20smile
NVIDIA 780i Core 2 Quad
2 Quad Core Q9450 3.5Ghz
8800GTX 768MB SLI
X-FI XtremeGamer
850W SilverStone PSU
TJ-9 Extreme
Vista 64

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 9:33am
No complaints Rajeev. Not from me.

I always assumed DSO was using values from a table or spreadsheet based on worst case  to arrive at an overclock figure for given configurations, and then went back and did some trial and error when settings based on that spreadsheet did not work, or failed the stress testing. I assumed this to be true because it's taken me months of experimenting (and cooling modifications) to arrive at the values my particular CPU will operate best at, and I couldn't imagine DSO techs have even a small portion of that kind of time to get a sytem overclocked and ready to ship.

I could be way off base with that, but I assumed the overclocks that shipped would be considered fine for the vast majority, and would be volted to the point there was zero doubt of stability. My reasoning was this was to minimize the load on customer service since BSOD's  might appear once in a blue moon at lesser voltage levels, and "once in a blue moon" multiplied by thousands of systems is a lot of phone calls.

For those like me that simply love to tweak, the overclock I started out with gave me a basic framework and understanding of how the values worked together. I took the voltage levels as a "maximum" to work within (1.5V was the setting on my B3 stepping Q6600 CPU when I recieved it), and began tuning using online guides from there seeking the sweet spots for my specific chip. So for me, the $25 I paid for an overclock was well, well, worth the price of admission to gain insight on a world I was barely aware of prior to receiving my beautiful machine.

When I suggest a voltage level is a bit high, it's not really a criticism, it's based on my own experience with fine tuning an overclock. Whereas I assume that DSO doesn't have the time to really fine tune each and every system, I also assume the customer has nothing but time with their chip, and if they are here in this forum looking for help with that, it's because they were looking for something different from their overclock, be that faster clocks, or lower temps.

I simply give the best advice I can on how to begin that process, no slights aimed at DSO or it's Techs are intended. If my assumptions were off base, please correct me.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 10:22am
Tyler, just once I'd like to see you getting out of that massive brain matter you swim in and post a wildly stupid and funny comment that doesn't make sense at all.

Come on baby, I know you can do it!  Geek
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 11:12am
Originally posted by EdH63

Tyler, just once I'd like to see you getting out of that massive brain matter you swim in and post a wildly stupid and funny comment that doesn't make sense at all.

Come on baby, I know you can do it!  Geek

Perhaps Ed and I could tutor you.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Rajeev

My experience has shown me that 1.5v on an Intel CPU, especially a Quad Core is not an acceptable amount.

Rajeev, it's great to have a pro overclocker on the forum. I look forward to your insights. However, in the spirit of the forum, where no mistake is too small to jump on ("Vc = 4V"; big deal!), be careful what you type. I don't think this is what you meant.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 11:28am

Rajeev, it's great to have a pro overclocker on the forum. I look forward to your insights. However, in the spirit of the forum, where no mistake is too small to jump on ("Vc = 4V"; big deal!), be careful what you type. I don't think this is what you meant.

As long as he didn't mean... VD. Dead
Rajeev View Drop Down

Digital Storm Logistics

Quote Rajeev Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 1:36pm
Tyler Lowe

My message was purely informational, and I definitely didn't take your message as a slight.

You brought up a great point. With the amount of computers I see I'm simply not able to find that perfect voltage balance where it is enough just for the computer to run absolutely stable, and as low as possible to lessen the heat load on the CPU.

But my point in bringing up those numbers was for customers to understand the general voltage limitations of CPU's so that when they receive their computer and a friend or they themselves looks at the voltage applied to their CPU they don't temporarily develop turrets.

Also, the voltages I've explained, and this is not a comment on your knowledge Tyler or a condemnation of your skill at overclocking, have been developed through months of trying to overclock processors and make them stable.

Though I cannot guarantee finding a perfect balance, here at Digital Storm we come damn near close, closer than any other company you will ever run across, it's just the way we test.

Our standards for testing really separate us from any other company, it's also these standards that really push the stability of our Overclocks. A customer will sometimes ask, "Well I overclocked my own system to 3.6 GHz, but you sent it to me at 3.0 GHz."

That customer's overclock has not gone through the Digital Storm testing standards. Yes it may operate at 3.6 GHz, but our tests have shown us that at 3.0 GHz, you're CPU will be THE MOST STABLE it possibly can.

Again, I'm not ragging on anyones abilities here, I just want our customers to understand that the stability tests we run justify the voltages we apply to your system. It MAY seem high, but it is these settings that have shown us your system is stable.

Tyler you've proven to be a very knowledgeable guy, and the way you researched your stuff is probably exactly the same way I started OC'ing. I think that makes part of a brotherhood........................
So I was wondering, can I borrow $20.00?

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 2:04pm
Thanks for the kind words Rajeev, I still have trouble thinking of myself as "knowledgeable" so much as "learning, and trying to learn more". I'm glad my posts have been received in the spirit they were written, and I have also taken absolutely zero offense. My experience overclocking is limited to a single B3 stepping Q6600 while you've seen hundreds, if not thousands of systems.

See, I was going to offer, but I never lend money to friends or family.

Bill and Ed,  my corrections of the 4V figures *is* me being silly. Apparently my sense of humor still needs some fine tuning.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Tyler Lowe

Thanks for the kind words Rajeev, I still have trouble thinking of myself as "knowledgeable" so much as "learning, and trying to learn more". I'm glad my posts have been received in the spirit they were written, and I have also taken absolutely zero offense. My experience overclocking is limited to a single B3 stepping Q6600 while you've seen hundreds, if not thousands of systems.

See, I was going to offer, but I never lend money to friends or family.

Bill and Ed,  my corrections of the 4V figures *is* me being silly. Apparently my sense of humor still needs some fine tuning.

You know what dude?  Don't change a thing about you.  I'm going to make it an effort to up my IQ so I can laugh at that level.  Now, where did I put that propeller hat? 
Big%20smile
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Tyler Lowe

No man, your sense of humor is fine. Just realize that I'm never serious.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>