FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another config question before the purchase

Post Date: 2008-03-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Seattle-J.J. View Drop Down
  Quote Seattle-J.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Another config question before the purchase
    Posted: 07 Mar 2008 at 11:22am
I am ready to buy soon....pretty much just waiting for the 9800GX2's to come out. Here is what I currently have

Case: Digital Storm 950Si (Black Anodized Aluminum Finish)
Power Supply: 1000W SilverStone Strider (Dual SLI Compatible) (Model: ST1000) (Silent)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad QX9650 Extreme 3.00GHz (1333MHz FSB) (12MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 780i Core 2 Quad (By: eVGA) (nForce 780i SLI)
Memory: 4GB DDR2 Corsair at 1066MHz Dominator (Dual Channel) (Extreme-Performance)
Floppy / Card: Sony 1.44MB Floppy (Black Edition)
Hard Drive 1: 74GB Western Digital Raptor (10K RPM) (8MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive 2: 320GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Raid Option: Setup hard drive 1 and 2 in a Raid 0 Stripe (Read and Write Performance Boost)
Hard Drive 3: 320GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-ROM/CD-ROM (DVD Reader 16x / CD Reader 40x)
Optical Drive 2: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768MB (By: eVGA) (PCI-Express)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (Recommended)
Physics Card: - No Thanks
Cooling: Liquid Chilled FrostBite CPU & Dual Video Cards (Artic Blue Liquid)
Case Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Blue Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Round Cables: Enhanced Interior Air Flow (Optical Drive & Floppy Cables (Black Cables)
User Manual: Personalized Platinum Digital Storm Binder (Includes Paperwork/Benchmarks/CDs/Manuals)
Overclock Processor: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my processor
Overclock Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Overclock Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: McAfee Internet Security (Includes: AntiVirus, FireWall and AntiSpyware)
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Pre-Install Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Microsoft Multimedia Desktop 2.0 (Multimedia Keyboard + Optical Wheel Mouse)
Mouse: - No Thanks my keyboard comes with a mouse
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty
Support: Lifetime Toll-Free Platinum Care Technical Support

I plan on using this computer for gaming, music, movies. I currently have a 22 inch LCD from Samsung (2ms response time). I read that for the size of my screen SLI may not be recommened......(1680/1050 resolution)

Let me know what you think. Embarrassed

Questions:
1) When the 9800's come out...I read that only getting one will be required for a high performance machine (due to the fact that they are 2 8800 ultras combined) Is this true. or will 9800 x 2 in SLI be better? What will the 9800's prices be comparable to?
2) Since I am Liquid cooling my computer, should I have DS overclock my memory, video care, and processor? Should I dual loop?
3) Is the liquid cooling with 950I case that much better then stage 3 cooling with 850I case or should I save myself 500 bucks?
4) Does my raid setup look adequate?

Any constructive criticism about any part of the computer would be appreciated.

Thank you! Clap
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2008 at 12:02pm
1. No.

They will not be two 8800 Ultras. They will be two 8800GT's. If they scale like the HD3870x2, and there is no reason to believe they will not, yes, only one of those cards will be more than enough to handle any current game, with the exception of the poorly optimized game Crysis maybe. For anything else, the card should be able to run at max settings, even at high resolutions.

2. If you are going to liquid cool both the CPU and the video card(s) dual loop is better.

3. You could always select liquid CPU cooling, and request the stage 3 treatment for the case to save some cash over going for the dual loop cooling. This is exactly the sort of situation that lead me to start this thread.

4. The setup looks fine. Unless you really need a cheap M$ keyboard and mouse, you can save some $$$ by cutting that from the config. The only minor tweak I might do is to go with the Thermaltake 1200W PSU, but that's only because the TT is such a nice power supply, not because 1000W won't be enough.

s View Drop Down
  Quote s Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2008 at 2:29pm
Thank you for your reply. I will probably make those changes.
Will the 9800 work in SLI?
 Post Reply Post Reply