FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another Config question..

Post Date: 2019-01-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PlaceboJeffect View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote PlaceboJeffect Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Another Config question..
    Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 1:14pm
First off, thanks for taking the time to read this, and possibly reply even though there are a million of these. But I have some specific questions. Some I can find online, others I haven't (maybe I need to google better)

Budget:
N/A

Expectations:
Playing Star Citizen 4k 120fps (when they have better optimization..)

Usage:
See above and web browsing (joke)

Saved Ticket #:
Multiple different configs while I decide

Specifications:

I will be going with the Aventum X

CPU: Undecided..
There is my first question. Should I go i9-9900k overclocked to 5.1ghz? Or should I go with something with more cores? Games are slowly utilizing more cores and it seems Star Citizen is one of them. Should I sacrifice a little Core speed for more? OR is 8 cores plenty? I suspect so.. but I only Build or buy a computer every 5/6 years. I normally go all out and go more cores but 8 seems like enough?

Noise reduction: I've never thought about this in previous builds, but if I'm going all out, might as well look into it. Does this reduce any performance/reliability at all? Such as; increase heat on the components? I'm going with the water cooled option on the cpu and 2x gpu. Maybe it isn't an issue either way? Is the computer quiet regardless? I have open headphones.

Raid Card: What's the benefit? I plan on getting multiple HDD and raid 0 them. I am ADD and will install and uninstall games all the time.. because of this, I have had multiple SSDs fail on me (S.M.A.R.T errors) and I won't go back to SSDs for gaming. Will a raid card give me any benefit other than reducing the chance of my raid drive failing? Which isn't a huge issue as the raid drives only have games on them.

Does DS have sales/promo codes/discounts every once and a while? Should I wait or are the prices pretty much set other than free upgrades to X part or Z thing?

I saw they give you the ability to upgrade parts in the future, do I need to buy their extended warranty thingy to do that? or is that just "free" with a purchase of the parts through them?

Any help is much appreciated!

Quote PlaceboJeffect Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 1:18pm
I will eventually be running this. ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ 27" 4K UHD 144Hz DP HDMI G-SYNC HDR Aura Sync Gaming Monitor with Eye Care

but currently have the 3440x1440p version.

thank you again!
Smurfgirlz View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Smurfgirlz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 1:25pm
Hi Placebo! :)

I am not an expert - however I can tell you from using my husband's new system that the i9-9900k chip with the new RTX 2080 (8gb) graphics card is running the games he plays on ultra high settings with no issues at all. He doesn't play many first person shooters, however the games he does play (mainly ARK: survival evolved atm) are running very smooth, so I think that the 8 cores from that chip should be all you would need.

Hope this helps!

Quote PlaceboJeffect Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 4:52pm
Thanks Smurf!

I was leaning that way too, but on further research it seems that Star Citizen is more focused on core count then core speed.

What does it mean Up to 4.8 ghz turbo boost? Is that across all cores? up to, I suspect means depending on sufficient cooling.

I'm sorta stuck on the CPU aspect, the other questions are not as crucial.

Thanks all.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 1:47am
Hi PlaceboJeffect,
Welcome to DS.
Can't really help you much on the cpu. The 9900K is the best cpu for gaming right now. However it is not the top cpu. That is the 9980XE. Don't think that one is best for gaming since it has more cores but slower. Games like single core fast and the 9900K is tops.

Can't help with the RAID card. Never had one.

As to noise reduction, no need with all (cpu and gpus) under liquid. (No need at all, for that matter).

Others will fill the voids with information. Good luck and keep us posted. Big%20Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 5:06am
So, looking into this, I came up with a few pearls of... wisdom from SC gamers.

1.The still alpha state SC is in with no real timeline into the future might mean your SC build will have to be an interim investment. Who knows what tech will be out when SC is finalized?
2.Many are recommending Ryzen CPUs for the exact reason you are stating... that more cores beats core speed on SC. Some are saying to hold off until the next gen of Ryzens comes out very shortly to decide.
3.Eight cores is plenty at the moment, but more may be better at some nebulous time in the future.

My thoughts... I'd go Ryzen 2700x for now because it's enough and saves a lot of $. AMD has the record of making procs that fit older boards, so when (if?) SC is optimized you may well be able to simply swap in a newer chip if/when the 8 core starts to falter.

This is pretty big, IMHO. Going to 4k on a 27" monitor will be virtually imperceptible from the one you have. Research it. For all the extra $ you have to invest in 4k, it's not going to be worth it.

No noise reduction needed.

Raid seems so...quaint. Have you checked out Samsung NVMe M.2 cards and their reliability? SSD has come a long way. 5 year warranties are nothing to sneeze at.

DS labor is free forever if parts are bought here.

Just tryin' to help.

Quote PlaceboJeffect Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 10:26am
Awesome response guys, really helps me. I've always been on team blue, but seems like switching to AMD is looking better and better these days! Thanks for the advise there.

I'm going to wait until ryzen 3 hits then!

I also want to state, what a great community here.   
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 1:42am

AwesomeWe might not know it all (speaking strictly for myself and in no way implying anything about anyone else) but us less enlightened can keep you company while the gurus chime in. Sometimes that also helps. I know it helps me calm down knowing I am not alone working on my issue. Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:35am
Appreciate the kudos to the community! it's certainly what brought me back to participate after a very long absence. Our advice can't be seen other than one or more user's honest attempt to bring more light on a subject for the benefit of another... and perhaps many.
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by PlaceboJeffect

Awesome response guys, really helps me. I've always been on team blue, but seems like switching to AMD is looking better and better these days! Thanks for the advise there.

I'm going to wait until ryzen 3 hits then!

I also want to state, what a great community here.   

AHHH DONT CALL IT RYZEN 3!!!!! That "Ryzen 3 Ryzen 3" google search term is toxic lol, let's all try to refer to it as 3rd gen or ryzen 3000 to avoid confusion for any noobies to pc parts.

But all that aside, I would advise the Ryzen 7 2700x as well over the i9, better perf/$ plus the new series is right around the corner. as an avid MMO player myself, they tend to be CPU dependent more than GPU and if you want/need the system now I'd wait on the liquid cooled 2080ti's due to some inventory defects floating about (looking at you Nvidia >.>) and the difficulty to replace. Unless you are planning on some serious overclocking that is.

As someone else stated though 27" 4k is barely distinguishable from 1440 especially on a pc monitor, you just simply don't sit far enough away so you wont notice the pixel density. You would be better off buying a higher end 4k TV, some newer high end models have Freesync/VRR and come at 120mhz with 144mhz overclock.
I also wanted to add that even with 2x 2080ti 120fps in 4k ultra is barely obtainable still. LTT did show Shadow of the Tombraider hitting triple digits but that is a single player game.

Edited by Psyoshi - 20 Jan 2019 at 6:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply