FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another help-me-choose thread

Post Date: 2008-09-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jeeves View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jeeves Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Another help-me-choose thread
    Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 11:50pm
Ticket Number: 188178
If I didn't get the ticket part correct I can paste my build.

Couple questions about a few choices before I'm ready to purchase, tia for any advice.

Bit of background information I suppose would help you out.  This computer will be used for nearly only gaming, and I run ingame video capture software often.  Currently a 8800gtx/2.6ghz C2D seems to do the job just fine in all but the most busy MMO raid-type situations.  It gets the job done, but a bit more power would be nice.  24" monitor 1920x1200 resolution, and I like to start every game with maxxed everything and tone it down until it's playable in most every situation.  I'm a bit tempted to go bigger screen/resolution but I'm very pleased with the 24...I'll probably stick with it.

Now on to the questions:

1.  Water cooling.  I'm as interested in this to reduce cpu/gpu cooling noise as much as the drop in temperature.  I added a zalman cpu cooler to this computer and it works great, but it's a bit loud.  I can't hear it with my headset on but my GF certainly can and a happy GF is a happy gaming BF Evil%20Smile  Will watercooling the cpu/gpu decrease the noise and heat output of the box?

2.  GPU.  260 is as good as the 280 considering where im coming from?  I don't mind upgrading if it's going to be noticeable.  Keep in mind I'm looking to make it powerful while keeping the heat and noise output to a minimum.

3.  RAM.  I meant to put 4gb into my build, but I have no real clue which one is the type that best suits my needs.  There are a lot of options and large difference in prices, I'm pretty lost - any advice is great.

4. CPU.  Is it worth $300 to bump up to the 3.0ghz?  Is a higher clocked C2D going to suit my needs better?  I don't mind the price difference much, just looking for the right match.

That's it (for now) so I'll go from whatever information I get from you all.  $2,500-3,000 is where most builds was putting me, but I don't have any problem spending more as long as I'm getting what I "need" and I won't be getting anything I wouldn't really be using. 

Cheers.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:20am
1. liquid cooling, will be much less noisy, the liquid does make some gargle noise but, how loud at the end of the day is a matter of perception, but one thing about liquid cooing is that is more quiet and more cool.

2. the 260gtx is very close to the 280, and with your resolution and how you like settings hi, you need to get 2 x 260 GTX which then you should not really notice a big difference between that and 2 x 280 cards.

3. Ram is simple, match your ram speed to your CPU's FSB. 4GB is the way to go.

4. I think quad is better for multi tasking so I say quad, if you got the money the a QX should do you some justice.

I'll be back with my recommendation in a bit

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Sep 2008 at 12:27am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:32am
you know what I have been thinking about it and in this case with this budget, I'm not sure a QX does justify the 400 bucks. but it could make the difference between being at 3.4 and 3.8. so you decide.

I made my suggestion with the q9550:

here you go Ticket# 188290 --- Price: $3189 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Power Supply: 860W PC Power & Cooling (ESA Edition) (Dual SLI Compatible)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz (1333MHz FSB) (12MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 790i Ultra Core 2 Quad (nForce 790i Ultra SLI) (DDR3 Only)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz OCZ
Card Reader: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 1: 150GB Western Digital Raptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive 2: - No Thanks
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 3: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Wireless Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB (Includes PhysX Technology)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Razer Barracuda AC-1 (Recommended)
Extreme Cooling: Liquid Chilled FrostBite CPU Only
Internal Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Blue Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Modifications: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: Yes, Overclock memory timings (Includes Memory Fan Kit Installed)
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

this should kick butt, but its a bit over budget.

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Sep 2008 at 12:32am
jeeves View Drop Down

Quote jeeves Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:37am
Great, and thanks for the quick reply.

Would it be wise to WC both 260's then as well?  Also, at what point does a dual loop system become an intelligent choice?

I mostly play MMO's, which tend to not have the framerate crushing effects like some FPS I've played.  If my current card (8800gtx) handles the games fairly well you'd still suggest SLI over just upgrading to the 280?

Cheers.

-edit after your build-

Did you add in Vista for a reason I don't know yet?  I have both OS installed on this computer and I very rarely find myself booting into Vista.  Just curious.

*also didn't mean to use that font in the OP, must have come from the copy of the ticket number*

Edited by jeeves - 29 Sep 2008 at 12:44am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:45am
If you are happy with the way your 8800 is then just go with one GTX 260, you can always add 1 or 2 more of those later if the need appears. well actually with the 860 PSU I would not add 2 more only one more.

for you there is no need to OC the GPU, and the best time to go dual loop (one for CPU and one for GPU) is when you OC the GPU.

you can always not even by a GPU if you are happy with the 8800, call DS and see if you send them your 8800 they will install it, that way they can test your system with GPU its all up to you.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 12:47am
here it is with one gpu:

here you go Ticket# 188297 --- Price: $2880 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Power Supply: 860W PC Power & Cooling (ESA Edition) (Dual SLI Compatible)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz (1333MHz FSB) (12MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 790i Ultra Core 2 Quad (nForce 790i Ultra SLI) (DDR3 Only)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz OCZ
Card Reader: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 1: 150GB Western Digital Raptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive 2: - No Thanks
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 3: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Wireless Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB (Includes PhysX Technology)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Razer Barracuda AC-1 (Recommended)
Extreme Cooling: Liquid Chilled FrostBite CPU Only
Internal Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Blue Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Modifications: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: Yes, Overclock memory timings (Includes Memory Fan Kit Installed)
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

also recommend you raise your warranty to 5 years.

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Sep 2008 at 12:48am
jeeves View Drop Down

Quote jeeves Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 1:26am
I intend to keep this current computer (the one I'm on) and replace the older one next to it.  My gf games on it and she's looking forward to me upgrading my computer so she can get this one.  So while sending my current gpu to DS to put into a new system is a cool option, it's not really a viable one.

Are there compatibility issues if I want to use XP instead of Vista on this machine?  All the components are ones I've never used so I'm not sure if they won't function properly on XP. 

Oh, and the case lighting.  Are they on all the time, or is there an easy switch I can hit to turn them off?  I only use the ones I have at very rare moments, like for the friends that appreciate how cool a computer actually looks on the inside.  I'd prefer to not have them if they're a pita to turn off.

Cheers. 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 1:32am
I'm pretty sure you can choose to have it on or off in the bios but for those kinds of details you can call DS and ask them to be sure.

your best bet is to go with vista 64, XP can't use the whole 4.896 GB of ram you will have. vista 64 will use every single bit, vita can run just about what ever you run on XP, maybe some very old games won't work but most things will, this is not XP 64, its very different and much better then XP 64 bit.
 Post Reply Post Reply