FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another RAM question

Post Date: 2019-02-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BravoActual View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BravoActual Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Another RAM question
    Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:55pm
Forgot to include this in another post regarding RAM. I've been reading around the internet that RAM can bottleneck your CPU. I have a rig being built with an i9-9900k, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming, and Digital Storm 16GB DDR4 3000MHz. I plan on adding another 16GB of G. Skill Trident Z DDR4 3000Mhz for a total of 32GB. My question(s) being, will I run into any problems with this configuration? Should I go for faster (3200+) RAM? Is it wise to use 4x8GB to achieve 32GB or would it be wiser to use 2x16GB? Just looking for the best possible cohesion between my hardware and any tips/help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I do stream so that is why I went with 32GB.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 1:19pm
Weather you could actually detect a difference in RAM speed is a questionable topic in itself.    Prob not worth fussing over RAM speed.

If you decide to go with 32gb, yes generally 2 X 16gb is better, and usually costs more because of that.   Leaves room to easily just add more RAM if desired.    I always match the brand, speed and timing with RAM already on board exactly when adding RAM to eliminate any problems. Not necessary to try to mix & match....get the same product.
BravoActual View Drop Down

Quote BravoActual Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

Weather you could actually detect a difference in RAM speed is a questionable topic in itself.    Prob not worth fussing over RAM speed.

If you decide to go with 32gb, yes generally 2 X 16gb is better, and usually costs more because of that.   Leaves room to easily just add more RAM if desired.    I always match the brand, speed and timing with RAM already on board exactly when adding RAM to eliminate any problems. Not necessary to try to mix & match....get the same product.

Knew I could count on a solid response from you lol. Thanks, I'll look into 2x16gb.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 3:38pm
As far as RAM is concerned, Crucial.com has a great little utility that will let you know what matches the RAM already installed in your machine.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 5:01am
I have no idea why you are thinking you need 32 GB of RAM for streaming. All the sources I've seen say 16 GB is more than enough. Streaming is CPU, GPU, and internet connection dependent. The difference between 8 GB and 16 GB might be significant, but more than that is unnecessary.
Just sayin'.
configot View Drop Down

Quote configot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 5:36am
Agree with Cretae. 16GB is more than enough for streaming.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 11:39am
FYI...That Crucial site is ok if you just want them to sell you some...but it does not identify the timing numbers you would need to go shop RAM elsewhere.

Download the freeware CPU-Z utility (from CPUID.com) and among the load of information you can learn about your processor, there is also detailed info about your RAM including the series of timings numbers you will want to go shop for matching trouble free RAM upgrades at Newegg, Corsair, adata, etc. Under the Memory tab, the RAM timings numbers are labeled “clocks”...for example. 9-9-9-24
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 12:42pm
DDR5 just got announced to be slated for end of 2019 from Samsung (makes Corsairs RAM). 6400MHZ speeds base expected with 32GB+ per stick even possible. Soooo dont fuss and wait till that drops instead will cause the already dropping RAM prices to continue due to over supply and or open up better options at the least.
 Post Reply Post Reply