FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any advice on my 1st DS build?

Post Date: 2018-11-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Smurfgirlz View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Smurfgirlz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Any advice on my 1st DS build?
    Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:00am
I do plan on using at least 2 monitors with this system, honestly, I'm unsure which monitors at this moment because I plan to utilize Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals to buy them. One of them will probably be the Acer Predator X34, the other need not be widescreen (I don't think having more than 1 widescreen monitor is necessary - is this not true?). I'd prefer to not spend more than $1500 on the two of them, though if I can find a way to get 3 for around that price or even slightly higher I'd go for it.

Budget:
under $15,000

Expectations:
To not need GPU replacement every year, a system that lasts between 5-8 years ideally

Usage:
Lots of gaming, while using Teamspeak, browsing the web, and streaming music at the same time - sometimes I might want to have a movie going instead of the music. Light CAD usage, moderate time spent video editing, and uptimes of 24/7 while I'm home (will eventually have a NAS multimedia server linked with this system).

Special Needs:
A system that won't overheat, or shut off the PC because the CPU or GPU cannot handle what I'm attempting to do. Run time will be close to 24/7 unless I'm off on vacation.

Saved Ticket #: 2090865
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Aventum 3
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish

Processor: Intel Core i9-7980XE Extreme Edition (18-Core) 2.60GHz

Motherboard: ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME (Wi-Fi) (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)

System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)

Power Supply: 1200W Corsair AX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power) (I'm unsure of power needs for the system, the base system had 800W PS and that just seemed a little low to me, so swapped up to this. If it's unnecessary please advise!)

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)

Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)

Storage Set 3: - No Thanks

RAID Config: - No Thanks (I'm not savvy enough with technical specs to really understand if having the two storage sets in a RAID configuration would be beneficial for my usage. Though if it would be of benefit to me, I'm not opposed to adding a 3rd storage set to accommodate a RAID configuration between the two 970 PRO drives. Maybe a 1TB WB Black drive?)

RAID Card: - No Thanks

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections) ((I do only use WiFi to connect to the internet - it just isn't feasible to run a cable from the basement of our house where the router is to the second floor of the house where my office is located)).

Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI NVLink Dual (GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (VR Ready)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

HPC Processor: - No Thanks

Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Graphics Cards + CPU) (Have I mentioned that I do not want to replace these GPUs every year due to overheating? I'm a bit paranoid about heating issues as I've had to replace GPUs every year for the past 10 years in other computers, so this cooling system and the fans below are probably the only components I'm really hard set on lol)

HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System) (not sure if there is a benefit to having hard tubing vs. soft tubing? I choose the hard tubing mainly because I think it looks cooler)

HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)

Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)

Chassis Fans: Corsair ML PRO Series (14 Fans Total) (High Static Pressure) (Magnetic Levitation)

Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)

Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software

Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.5GHz via Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 (Is this worthwhile? I worry it might cause heat issues and I'm relatively sure the chip itself can handle what I'm planning to throw at it)

Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)

Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system Windows

Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)

Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)

Speakers: Logitech 2 Piece (Black Edition) Amplified Speaker Set <br><strong></strong>

Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 5 Year Limited Warranty (5 Year Labor & 3 Year Part Replacement) <br><strong></strong>

Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 2:16pm
You're probably going to be pulling around 870 watts, so yes, the 800-watt PS would not be enough and you would need at least a 1200-watt PS for that system alone.
Hard Line tubing is nice, but it can be a real headache if you ever need to work inside the case. Also, I would never order a system online that has hard line tubing unless I was going to pick it up myself at the facility. In my opinion, FedEx, UPS, etc., are just too rough with handling packages.
Now this is just my opinion. I'm sure there are many that have ordered hard line water cooling and had no issues with their system, otherwise DS wouldn't offer it. I just wouldn't want to take the risk of being that one unlucky guy because if a leak develops later on down the road, its not going to be a good day.. Its something you'll need to keep a close eye on for a couple of weeks if you do decide to go hard line.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 2:41pm
I think I see what you're going for here. I do have a few thoughts.

I'd keep the 1200W power supply. At your price point, I'd say go for the digital control.

The 970 Pros are so fast on their own, you wouldn't want to stripe. With no moving parts the practicality of mirroring is vastly reduced. So I say no RAID.

I believe the 2080 Tis are overkill for what you need. I'd go with the 2080s in NVLink and save the dough. An extra monitor or two will not be hard on those cards at all. (27 BILLION transistors and 16GB of DDR6 memory between the two of them...sheesh!)

I have to recommend the soft tubing. No doubt the hard looks cooler, but that inflexibility seems to cause most of the issues we see here with the custom setups.

DS is expert at safely overclocking, and the cooling will be there for you. However, with all that number crunching power, I'm not sure how much actual benefit you'll be able to see. So, either way.

Good call on the warranty. You're not going to have heat issues with that setup, and the sheer power is remarkable!

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 2:30am
Hi Smurfgirl,
Welcome to DS.
That is the peak of the mountain in systems. Forget RAID. Get a large HDD for files, photos and the such. The M.2s for OS and the second for programs (games, etc) you load and want to do it fast. Outrageous fast!

Now as to Hydrolux. I have an Aventum 2 with Hydrolux cooling. The cpu and gpus are all lc. I have the soft tubing. About two weeks after getting the system leaks started in various fittings. Whoa  CryWith hardline (it does look very cool) the repairs would have been a LOT harder since I had to remove and replace some fittings.
If you are good installing and repairing liquid cooling systems then no problem but if you are like me and this is your first lc system then I would suggest that you learn with the soft tubing. It also looks very Wowish!Strong
Then again, probably most hardline cooled systems make it through shipping in fine shape. 
Keep us posted. Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 03 Nov 2018 at 2:32am
Smurfgirlz View Drop Down

Quote Smurfgirlz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 4:45am
Thank you so much for the advice! I will keep the 1200W PS, and go for the soft line tubing, my paranoia will keep my eyes open for any type of leak for sure!

Thank you again, everyone :) Now to just decide if it's worth waiting until Black Friday before ordering! (lol I do like to save money whenever possible - even when making big purchases like this)
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 6:12am
Saving money is always good. Big%20Smile
I still look for leaks in the usual places and everything still dry. Its not paranoia, its living with an lc system.LOL But NEVER gets hot. Awesome

Post Reply Post Reply