Post Date: 2009-10-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sneaky7 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sneaky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Any advise/opinion
    Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 6:31pm
Any opinions on build?  Will be using/gaming at 2560 x 1600 res, mostly now a day games.  Money is not too big of factor for this rig.

Looking for this computer to hold out for quite a while.  Want to go ahead with buying as soon as possilbe.

I have not selected a video card because I plan on waiting till DS puts out the 5870 for grabs.  But as soon as they do I plan on going with 2 5870 in CF.

Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: XFX X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Card Reader: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (120GB Solid State (By: OCZ) Solid Series (Model: OCZSSD2-1SLD120G)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: - No Thanks, I will be installing my own video card(s)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 1: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooler
Liquid Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a H20: Stage 3 Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my processor
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) With Windows 7 Upgrade Coupon
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 1:57am
Get an EVGA X58 SLI/LE/Classified instead of that crap XFX board.

I personally wouldn't waste the money on 1866MHz ram, but some people want it for whatever reason.  My recommendation would be 1600MHz.

Get the 1000w corsair, the 1200w PC Power & Cooling (noisy, but might not be a problem for you), or the 1500w SilverStone.  Trust me on this one.

Instead of the Asetek cooler I would get the Noctua.  The Noctua actually out-performs the Asetek in most cases. 

One thing to consider might be a 1TB HDD instead of a 500GB, the cost isn't that much more and you will not only be getting a much more reliable and faster drive (caviar black versus blue), but you will most likely not have to add another one later.

For the processor, you could instead get a 920 and overclock the cpu, save yourself quite a bit of money, and get the same if not more performance than the 950.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 6:31am
I agree with every venom says with the exception of one things, if you need 1TB of room then get the 1TB HDD as HDD2, if not use the 500GB as HDD2, personally I don't like how much time it takes to manage 750GB or above.

Drop the raid, there are many faster ssds coming out, that are better (slc) for a better price soon, so either upgrade to one of those later next year or get a single Intel x25E now, this way you don't have to worry about raid failing and losing all data and you get an slc and the fastest ssd between all the ones out now (not counting pci ones).

also seeing how how you are going to be gaming at 2560 x 1600, I would wait till nov - dec and get a dual sli of the new nvidia cards that are coming out, you will get the best performance from them and at your res they are the best option IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply