FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any reason why no one seems to ask DS to...

Post Date: 2009-04-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CloveMan3 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CloveMan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Any reason why no one seems to ask DS to...
    Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 6:55am
...tweak their GPUs and Memory when they are putting together thier customized quotes? 

I.e.  I always see "Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory" in everyone's ticket.

Wondering whate folks reasons were.  Does it not really add anything to the performance? or is it something tha most people can do themselves and feel they can save some costs?

Has anyone gone with these options through DS an if so what were the results?
Hammer View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 7:49am
Well, because most people don't think they need it for one reason or another. I personally didn't choose to have DSO OC my graphics card because ATI software allows you to not only OC your card in windows...but it will actually figure out for you what the best OC is. I'm sure Nvidia has something simular.

But as for the the Memory Boost, it's not always fully compatible with i7s. Tecnically speaking even a 1333MHz RAM chip in a i7 920 'is' an OC as Intel says 1000MHz is the ceiling.

Ultimately the Processor OC is the OC that you actually notice any speed difference and when buying a 920/940 it'll raise your performance to a much higher level for alot less money.
"It is important to realize that any lock can be picked with a big enough hammer."
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 5:27pm
the ram tweak won't make much of a difference and you will never notice it.

the GPUs are so powerful now that you don't need to OC them, but if you want to OC them, its so easy, we can help you.

I have a simple guide for it

use Rivatuner

and here is a nice guide for it

and here is my simple guide

just to clarify ram boost has nothing to do with i7, its compatible with all systems, and the 920 does not have a limit anymore as the qpi and CPU OC will allow it to use up to 1600MHz

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Apr 2009 at 5:30pm
<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 6:43pm
nobody wants more heat for minimal gains
CloveMan3 View Drop Down

Quote CloveMan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 7:24pm
Thanks for all responses guys!  The last (and only) rig I put together was almost 4 years ago, so you can imagine I'm a little out of the loop on the latest OC tweaks and hardware capabilities.  I really appreciate all the advice everyone's given me.   

I'm very impressed by the DS forum community. It's like having my own team of IT consultants helping me with my config! 

Thanks for bringing me up to speed on the latest hardware and their capabilities.  Without your advice I would blow my budget on needless upgrades.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 1:53am
Our pleasure, thats what we are here for, to make sure everybody gets the most performance for their money.
Hammer View Drop Down

Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 10:39am
Well, not all OCing is "more heat for minimal gains". In the case of CPUs the gains are giant and save you alot of money. An OC i7 920 has more GHz than a stock 965 and costs ~$900 less. (Ofcoarse anyone here that gets a 965 OCs the ever-loving crap out of it to make it Godly, but I'm just comparing it to the stock settings).

Some GPUs OC very well too, but most don't and you do end up with more heat and not much to show for it. GPUs seem to have already been pushed to thier safe limits before they're sold, so there's typically no headroom for significant OCs too. Besides all that, thier driver software offer applications to OC yourself and ATI's will actually OC itself.

Ram OCing seems to be highly debated right now...and I haven't seen much in the way of evidence that OC ram does much for you. I know DST has staunchly debated the differences between different ram frequencies and spped gains and I've just kinda taken that and run with it.

Edited by Hammer - 30 Apr 2009 at 10:41am
"It is important to realize that any lock can be picked with a big enough hammer."
EveryFlowerFlow View Drop Down

Quote EveryFlowerFlow Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2009 at 10:08pm
I'm a little late to this party:

The thing about the ram overclock is that really it depends on the ram you select. On X58 boards it BCLK bus speed affects both the CPU and the Memory, unlike the 775's where you can unlink the two. So now yes, choosing to OC the ram can actually help get you a higher CPU OC at same time.

For 1600mhz and higher rated memory I wouldn't recommend it, but for 1333mhz memory for example it can mean the difference between OC'ing a 920 to 3.4ghz  or to 3.7ghz+  

Overall though, It's up to the individual however if they want to perhaps sacrifice more stability for a perhaps marginal performance increase.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 11:05am
I don't understad your thinking?  Take for example 167 B clock, 8 memory multi, 20 cpu multi = 1336 mhz ram, 3.34 Ghz cpu. Crank up the B clock to 181, the ram will be 1448 Mhz, the cpu 3.6 Ghz. The problem is most Ram won't OC that much without having to loosen the timings or raise the D ram voltage. Going with 1600 Mhz ram, with equal timings, would allow for an equal OC, with retainig the tight timings, and keeping the voltage in check.
 OC 1600 and up ram makes more sense to me than OC lower speed ram to me. The headroom in higher speed ram allows more flexibilty with higher OC's.
With 2000 Mhz ram at cas 7 timings, you have just a ton more of options on the OC, compared to 1333 Mhz cas 7.
Bottom line, Ram OC seems to be a much bigger crap shoot that CPU OC. Some ram just will not OC beyond the manf. specs, some will go 10% or more, and keep the manf. spec timings.
From a builders point of view, I see the merrit of not OC the Ram. Too many potential headaches, and customer mis-understandings, let downs.
Clinton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Clinton Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 1:34pm
I've actually underclocked my RAM to get to 1:1 ratio with my CPU. System speed is faster.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 1:59pm
that would be on a 775 platform, the 1366 is a bit different.
Gringo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gringo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2009 at 12:06pm
I recently underclocked my Sapphire 4870x2 from the stock speed, since games would hang every now and then, and graphics were generally unstable. Now it's perfect, and i guess i lost about 5 FPS in most of the games, which is way bearable...
i7920 oc'ed - Radeon 4870x2
 Post Reply Post Reply