FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any suggested modifications?

Post Date: 2021-11-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JohnnyRocket View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JohnnyRocket Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Any suggested modifications?
    Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:03pm
Budget:
$2000 - $3000

Expectations:
First gaming PC

Usage:
For my 12 year old

Special Needs:
Looking to get the price down. What modifications should I make to shave a few hundred off the price?

Configuration Code: 4186473
Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,117.00

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12-Core) 4.6 GHz Turbo <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P / MSI X570-A Pro (AMD X570) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: Firmware TPM Activation - Windows 11 Upgrade Ready - (BIOS) <br><strong></strong>
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (6TB Seagate / Toshiba) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:46pm
32GB RAM is overkill, 16GB is the sweet spot for gaming. I don't think a 12yo is going to need that extra 16Gb, unless he's like Young Sheldon and doing a lot of CAD or Video editing    

As to the rest, well The Smart Guys® will be along shortly to help out.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 4:21am
Welcome to our Forum!

The 3900x is not the best choice. Older tech. The 6 core 5600X is better in every way. Gaming does not require or benefit from a lot of cores. This AMD proc is widely considered the best performance-for-dollar in gaming CPUs. It will be a solid gaming performer for years.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X/4044vs4084

There's no need for for a TPM firmware for Win 11 upgrade. Win 11 comes with your system. It will work out of the box.

Here's a better and less expensive alternative:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4187036

Moving to a Lynx case saves a total of $315! There's savings on the case and it comes with RGB fans at stock. That and other choices allow for a stronger, better MSI Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard. It's just...better.

As my friend said, 16 GB of RAM is plenty. It's doubtful you would need more for the life of this system.

As it seems you favor a lot of storage, I've included the best money can (reasonably) buy here at DS. The 980 PRO is an NVMe drive that's up to 9 TIMES faster than the DS SATA drive you picked. It's a game-changer for everything. A 500GB is not only easy on the wallet, it allows for what I call a "lean and mean" primary "C" drive that's easier and faster to back up and run scans on for viruses, malware, adware and the like. The 970 EVO PLUS will be the main games library for the most demanding/advanced ones. It's not as fast as a 980, but will be super-fast loading games.

Mechanical drives (HDDs)can and do fail more often than SSDs, so it's not a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket with a really large one. If it goes down, it takes just about everything with it. I threw a 2TB in there. It will take awhile to fill that up. Put the less demanding/simpler games on that one for easy loading. Remember he can always delete games he's played to make room for new ones. You will always own them and can re-install.

The 3060 Ti is a great card and is in there. You'll want to pair that with a fast 1080p (1920x1080) monitor up to 27". The GPU can produce fast framerates and will game extremely well on one of those for as long as it lives.

Note the mouse pad and warranty upgrade are free. As is shipping.

Any questions are welcome.   

I forgot to mention: since it's likely you have no keyboard and mouse for this youngster, I will not hesitate to recommend you get either of the inexpensive combos DS offers here. If DS sells them, you may rest assured that they will serve perfectly well for a fine gaming experience. You can spend a ridiculous amount on either of these peripherals, and get only marginal improvement. Once the gamer becomes experienced, they may want to move up to something more high-end but the selection is far too vast for beginners to try to negotiate.   

Edited by Cretae - 26 Nov 2021 at 6:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply