FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone know any coupons or discount codes?

Post Date: 2011-07-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Burly View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Burly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Anyone know any coupons or discount codes?
    Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 4:10am
Hey everyone. I first want to say that I love Digital Storm and I love their site, but I think their desktops are a bit overpriced. Does anyone know any coupons or anything to get the price cheaper or if anyone know any cheaper alternatives to Digital Storm I would appreciate it. Please don't recommend I try building it myself. I tried building one, and I honestly had no luck with the machine and it was just a disaster.

Thanks in advance.
sdwas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote sdwas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 11:47am

DigitalStorm is offering warranty upgrades and a discount based on how much you spend for the next 28 days (back to school offer).  It is prominently displayed on their home page.

However, I think you are going to find it incredibly difficult to beat the price of any of their pre-built ODE systems (http://www.digitalstormonline.com/ode.asp).  Especially if you compare apples to apples and factor in the manufactures of the components used to build the systems, the process they take and the warranty that is offered.  Trust me, I tried with several other reputable builders and couldn't really even come close.  I suggest you do the same for the peace of mind.  I should note that the back to school discount offer does not apply to the ODE systems.
Zieno View Drop Down

Quote Zieno Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 4:20pm
I know where your coming from. just to let you know if you compare the pc's to other manufactures you'll find they will all have similar pricing one might be cheaper but they drop you off at 2 years instead of 3. now if you comparing a DS computer to building your own will save you money and such, but at the loss of having someone to call if something goes wrong within the first few boot ups, or even later. I agree with sdwas, if you have less than 2600 of budget funds go with the ODE systems, they give you the best bang for the buck. up until you get to the really expensive builds like what im getting :3

Edited by Zieno - 26 Jul 2011 at 4:21pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 4:26pm
Just to be clear about the warranty, the default warranty is a 3 year limited warranty. Here's a copy of the (More Info) link next to the 3 year limited warranty:

The "Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty" includes the following benefits:

1. Life-time access to our expert customer support team for all kinds of computer issues.

2. Three years of labor free warranty service including labor costs for part replacements, tune ups, and diagnostics.

3. One year of defective part replacement service.

4. Life-time access to labor free upgrades or the option for any customer to make upgrades to their Digital Storm system without voiding the warranty.
Burly View Drop Down

Quote Burly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Alex

Just to be clear about the warranty, the default warranty is a 3 year limited warranty. Here's a copy of the (More Info) link next to the 3 year limited warranty:

The "Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty" includes the following benefits:

1. Life-time access to our expert customer support team for all kinds of computer issues.

2. Three years of labor free warranty service including labor costs for part replacements, tune ups, and diagnostics.

3. One year of defective part replacement service.

4. Life-time access to labor free upgrades or the option for any customer to make upgrades to their Digital Storm system without voiding the warranty.
lol isn't that considered a one year warranty then. Do other companies do this as well? 

Anyway, I'm going to probably be messing with configurator to see what's the best way to go about this. If anyone has anymore input I would really appreciate it.

Crosshair View Drop Down

Quote Crosshair Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 9:06pm
I don't know any coupon codes, but I'm sure you can find someone else who has a computer cheaper. I personally have always used DS, because they're the only ones I trust to handle my expensive taste. So, I'm no expert on other companies, but a friend of mine used a company called Ironside you might want to try. He said he saved a few hundred bucks going through them, and from what he told me he hasn't had any problems with the computer. I personally took a look at it, and it seemed well built, but what do I know, lol.. Anyway it's ironsidecomputers..comif you want to take a look. Hope this helps!

Edited by Crosshair - 26 Jul 2011 at 9:06pm
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Burly

lol isn't that considered a one year warranty then. Do other companies do this as well?

Yes, actually, every other company does, and they had to change it to the same to be competitive.

They used to have a full blown 3 year warranty (3 year service, 3 year parts) as their lowest option, but their base prices were higher because of it and they were losing some customers to cheaper (even in inferior) businesses. So to stay competitive they lowered their base warranty to the limited version, but also cut down the base price of all their systems by a good $200 at the same time. They were very open about the whole thing, and even listened to and responded to our feedback on the forums about it, at the time.

You can always select the 4/5/6 year limited warranties for an extra +$99/$199/$299, which have 2/3/4 year parts replacement, respectively. Also the current sale grants you an upgrade to the 4 year warranty (2 year parts) for free, on any of the non-ODE selections. (Or maybe it just bumps you up an extra year more than whatever you select? I'm not sure.)
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Burly View Drop Down

Quote Burly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 9:07am
Yeah, I understand Digital Storm has to run a business. I'm not blaming them, but I do think they should make it clearer. That one year parts can easily be overlooked.

Ironside does build computers at the price I was hoping for, but I just have one question. Their website says they ship out in 2 - 10 business days, how long did it take for your friend's computer to be shipped?

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 9:51am
Burly, all I can say is be really careful. The ODE prices in particular are so low that they barely even cost more than just buying the parts yourself from Newegg or elsewhere. If there's a competitor offering cheaper prices then they're either using some cheap proprietary components or just not offering as powerful of a system in general. So just be really careful and really make sure you know exactly what they are offering, every component, not just a few of the core ones.

If you've already looked at the ODE configurations and they're still out of your budget, keep in mind there is also the cheaper ODE Level 0. With their current setup they only have room for 4 ODE configs on the site, and the Level 0 lad the least demand so it isn't currently listed, by you can see and/or order it by using this URL:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadode.asp?id=571772
Lilim
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 2:27pm
LOL you must be jocking me.

Ironside sucks.

I can't even build a comparable system there, no name parts and the ones that are specified are not even as good as the options here, I can't even get a decent cpu cooler from them, the a70 and noctua will blow any cpu cooler they have away.

On top of that, I just did my best to come up with with a comparable, and the price difference is like $20 but the DS system has much better parts:

ironside:

$1894.92:

Gold Series
Intel Core i7 2600
Case - Cooler Master HAF X (Full Tower)
Intel Processor - Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo Boost (Quad Core)
CPU Cooling - COOLER MASTER V6 GT (Full Tower Only)
Intel Motherboard - [x-fire, SLI] ASUS P8P67 DELUXE [No Video Out] SATA 6Gb/s USB3 {4 DDR3 Slots}
Overclocking - Overclock Processor and Graphics Card to Max Speed
Memory - 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Primary Hard Drive - 1TB 7200 RPM
Secondary Hard Drive - None
1st Optical Drive - DVD Writer
2nd Optical Drive - None
Graphics Card - Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 1.2GB (Min. 700 Watt Power Supply)
[SLI / Crossfire] Second Video Card - None
Power Supply - Premium 1000 Watt
Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Networking - Standard Onboard Ethernet
Media Card Readers - None
Office Software - None
Sound Card - Integrated HD Audio
TV Tuners - None
Fan Controller - None
Monitor - None
Second Monitor - None
Keyboard - None
Mouse - None
Speakers & Headsets - None
Warranty - 3 Year Limited Parts and Labor

DS custom:

$1920:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Corsair A70 Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Now don't even get me start with ode 1 and how much less they cost.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 2:35pm
Hello everyone, I'm going to move this thread to the "General Discussion" since this thread is not about configuration advice on a particular build.
theopold View Drop Down

Quote theopold Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 11:56pm
Not trying to be snarky here but...you love DS and you love their site but you don't want to necessarily pay for quality parts, a quality system, and quality service??  Again, not trying to be a jerk, just wanting to reiterate the basic fact that, in the realm of legitimate businesses, at least, you typically get what you pay for in this world...

To put that another way...If DS is charging a particular price for a product and that price is consistently greater than a competitor's, it is either because they have a (real or imagined) proprietary advantage in the marketplace for which they are able to demand a premium, they have a really silly business model and will soon be out of business, or their higher prices are reflective of higher costs - either fixed or variable - and so they must set a higher resale in order to maintain "sustainable" profit margins....

Prior to placing an order with DS, I did a pretty comprehensive analysis of the top 4-5 custom vendors.  I eventually placed an order with DS because although they were not always the lowest price in terms of initial acquisition cost in a given config, they continually proved to be the best value in terms of TCO...

Bottom line, if you're looking to fit your current needs into a certain budget, you may well end up considering a trade-off wherein you feel you are "safely" compromising on certain variables or cutting a few corners in areas that might not, or shouldn't, come back to bite you.  Not necessarily saying that's a bad strategy, de facto, but for myself I decided either I make a smart overall investment in a custom system or I go back to the big box vendors and make a "smart" investment with one of them...     
Burly View Drop Down

Quote Burly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 1:46am
Hello everyone, So I took everything you guys said to consideration and I did a bit of research on the subject.

DST4ME, I agree with you. In that situation it probably wouldn't be worth it, but to be fair you didn't include shipping or any promo codes. The shipping adds another $65 and they have a discount code to get another $60 off. So, it would be around $150 difference. Though, I honestly wasn't looking for a $2000 computer, I was looking for something around the $1000 prices. I was particularly interested in this computer Ironside had:

Typhoon

Case - NZXT Guardian Blue (Mid Tower)
Intel Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Boost (Quad Core)
Intel Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z68-D3-B3 [Graphics Card Req.] SATA 6Gb/s USB3 {4 DDR3 Slots}
CPU Cooling - Standard Heatsink
Overclocking - Overclock Processor to Max Speed
Memory - 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Primary Hard Drive - 1TB 7200 RPM
1st Optical Drive - DVD Writer
Graphics Card - Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 1GB (Min. 500 Watt Power Supply)
Power Supply - Standard 600 Watt
Operating System - None - No operating system will be Installed
Networking - Standard Onboard Ethernet
Monitor - None
Keyboard - None
Mouse - None
Speakers & Headsets - None
Warranty - 3 Year Limited Parts and Labor
Rush Service - [Standard] Shipped Out in 2 - 10 Business Days

Price: $899 with shipping

The only thing comparable from DS is this:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 (Intel P67 Chipset) (New B3 Revision) (Does Not Support SLI)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 600W Corsair CX600 V2
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB (Includes PhysX) (Overclocked Edition)
Extreme Cooling: Standard Factory Heat-sink and Fan (Not Recommended for CPU Overclocking)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: FREE: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Pre-Install Game: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Total: $1280 w/ shipping

Correct me if I configured it wrong as I don't want to misrepresent DS.

Ironside's computer costs $900, and DS's costs $1280, so considering that I thought it would be worth it to get more information about the company before we come to any conclusions. So I decided to call their customer service to ask them a few questions about the computer, and overall I couldn't find anything wrong with the company. They were very informative, and they took the time to answer all of the questions I asked them. I specifically asked them on some of the brands they're going to be using for some of their more vague options. For the RAM they claimed to be currently using G.skill, and for the power supply that comes with my computer they said they are currently using Cooler Master. I know G.skill is a good brand, but I've read mixed reviews on Cooler Master power supplies. I believe the quality depends on which model you get. I'm going to be finding out more about that later. If anyone want to provide me with more information about those power supplies I would appreciate it. Also, I do agree that they do have a rather poor selection of coolers. I'm personally still debating if I should even get one or not, but I'm going to ask them anyway about that later, as I'm really considering the A70.

Theopold, I understand what you're saying, but you're assuming that Ironside can't provide comparable service because they're cheaper. I believe we should as least get the facts first before we start coming to conclusions. If Ironside can provide comparable service to DS and be cheaper wouldn't it be worth it to at least find out. Granted I'm not saying they do, they can be terrible for all I know, but in my situation where I can save almost $400, I think it would be "smart" to at least find out.

Edited by Burly - 30 Jul 2011 at 1:51am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 2:18am
@Burly that is not comparable, DS's mobo is better, I don't care much for g.skill myself but thats no biggie, however the fact that its 1333 does make a big difference in oc and so does not having a cpu cooler, the cm psu suck, we recommend people to stay away from them, the low end corsair is better then cm psu IMHO.

for what you are getting from DS the $300 price difference is very little IMHO.

Also you can't call a company up an ask them questions about them and their parts and expect to have them say anything bad, when you ask them about the psu, they did happen to mentioned what a crap it was? both in reliability and performance? Plus there is a conflict of interest, there are fools around that think getting advise from teh car sales man is better then a knowledgeable shopper, but in reality when you talk to somebody that works at a company, they have "conflict of interest" where if they talk bad about a company or company product, they could lose their job, so you are never gonna get the best advise from people that work there since they are there to look out for the companies interest first and not yours, I'm not saying that is what you did, I'm just saying I know people that are foolish enough to think that way.

Just form looking at their parts its obvious they can't provide quality parts thus they can't provide good service, since you can't give good service with crappy parts.

after many years of doing this and looking at builders I can tell who is more likely to be good, it all starts from parts, where you don't see part specs, is where you will find crap parts like cm psus and not a good builder.

in cases tho cm is a good IMHO, I will take cm case over NZXT.

I'm telling you all of this as a customer myself who has done lot of research, trust me, it took me a long time before I decided I was gonna hand 10,000 grand to DS.

At the end you get what you paid for when it comes to pc parts, if its cheaper, it means more headache down the line.

also you should try and match ode 0 at that price level:

ode 0 $1,199, and has much better/ more parts then the config you listed form both iron and DS

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Pre-built Digital Storm ODE Level 0 (corsair 600t white)
Exterior Finish: White Exterior Paint Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 LE (Intel P67 Chipset) (New B3 Revision) (Does Not Support SLI)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair XMS3 Series (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 600W Corsair CX600 V2
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Corsair A70 Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks

here you get a better case, better gpu, not only do you get a cpu cooler but you get the a70 and a oc of 4.4, the iron build system you posted can't oc much cause it does not have a cpu cooler.

So now tell me the 600t case, cosair psu, better mobo, the 560 gtx which is much better then teh 460, the a70 cpu cooler, and the 4.4GHz oc is not worth more then $300 price difference then the iron build with the crappy parts.

Edited by DST4ME - 30 Jul 2011 at 3:08am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 2:45am
That competitor's config has no OS selected, so add another $99 to it.

I think the ODE Level 0 (new link, old link doesn't work anymore) is a better comparison, coming in at $1199 plus $65 shipping. With it you get the 600T case, Nvidia GTX 560, Corsair A70 CPU cooler, 2500K CPU overclocked to 4.0GHz-4.4GHz, and red internal cold cathode lightning.

So roughly $265 more than the competitor's cheapy build, better case (larger, better air flow), better PSU, better motherboard, faster RAM, faster GPU, much better CPU cooler, significantly overclocked CPU, and the benefit of having DS standing behind it with regards to support, warrant, and assembly.

You're in kind of a weird budget spot, DS doesn't do extraordinarily cheap builds with second rate components. Personally I think you get much more of your money's worth with the ODE 3, the competitor's cheapy system looks like something that would just catch on fire within a year. Heh, or after 11 months, just after the warranty expires, as always conveniently seems to be the case with bargain bin systems.

Like someone else said directly, and what I said before in more words, you get what you pay for.
Lilim
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 12:41pm
Also you don't want to get a bad mobo. I did and get random bsods all the time my oc never stablizes, more than 4gb ram is very hard to get working...way too many issues for a slight difference in price. You don't want to cheap out on the parts. Even if its only a bit it hurts you eventually. Maybe each part is only$ 50 difference and it doesn't seem like a difference at all but once you buy it it goes from$ 50 more to the total price as its probably past the returnable state when you want to switch it out. Ds only has quality components. So it costs a bit more but helps in the long run. Took me building my own computer with half crappy parts to realize this.
Steam:pcmaster160
Unlicensedhitman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Unlicensedhitman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 1:23pm
I know how to get free shipping.
Digital Storm xm15 laptop
-15.6" (1366x768)
-Windows 7 HP 64-bit
-Intel Core i5 2.4 Ghz
-Nvidia GeForce 330GT 1GB + Intel HD w/ Nividia Optimus
-6GB DDR3 ram
-Intel 80GB SSD
-Intel Wireless N 6300
 Post Reply Post Reply