FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anything new?

Post Date: 2012-03-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
xii View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Anything new?
    Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 8:44pm
So - I posted about build advice before. 

I've got 60 days till retirement.

Is digital storm coming up with anything new I should wait on?

I really wanna spend this 7-10k wisely. Go big or go home.

I've seen some awesome stuff come out of this company.  Super excited.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 9:16pm
We'll, we just launched one of the most advanced and innovative systems in the market, the Aventum (http://www.digitalstormonline.com/aventum.asp). For high-end, NVIDIA's next-gen 680 is now out as well. Big%20Smile
Avelict View Drop Down

Quote Avelict Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 7:51am
I agree with Alex, if you have some money to spend, I'd recommend the Aventum line. They're very powerful systems and Im sure theyd destroy anything you throw at it!
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 10:10am
@Alex - I noticed they didnt have the upgradeability rating as the other systems do.  Intended?

@Avelict - Thank you so much for your input - destroying is what Digital Storm does.  Period. :D (in the best way)

I threw a quick build together.

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Aventum
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: 2x Dual (Intel Xeon E5-2630 2.3GHz (15MB Cache) (Six-Core CPU)
Motherboard: EVGA Classified SR-X Workstation Board (Chipset: Intel C606)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1333MHz (ECC Registered) Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (4GBx8 Config)
Power Supply: 1500W Silverstone (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F180GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - Not Available
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX) (EVGA)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Aventum Cryo-TEC System for CPU and Liquid Cooling for Video Cards + Chipset
H20 Tube Color:Black Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: - Not Available
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: - Not Available
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Should I forego the liquid cooling and up the processor?
Is there a bottleneck etc?

Edited by xii - 28 Mar 2012 at 10:21am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 1:13pm
Hi xii,

I think we need to know how you are going to be using your computer. It seems you are building a work station not a gaming machine. How many monitors will you be using and at what resolution? Will you be rendering or other CPU intensive work? If this is a gaming machine I would be thinking about a different CPU and Mobo.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 28 Mar 2012 at 1:15pm
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 2:14pm
Oh yea - I knew I forgot something.

Gaming machine.  Thanks Frank.  Im really obsessive over getting the most bang for my buck. Range is around 10000.

sdelu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sdelu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 2:21pm
$10,000 gets you far more than you will realistically need for gaming for quite some time. Unless you game on 6+ monitors I don't think you need to spend quite that much to get the most bang for your buck. You definitely do not need a 12-core setup for gaming, nor 32 gigs of RAM.

Since it's strictly for gaming I'd say you're wasting a ton of money on places that you will truly see little to no observable gain.

"Bang for my buck" implies that you want to get the absolute best cost/result ratio. This sort of setup does not provide that, because after a certain point you will be spending exponentially more for minimal gains -- that's not the best bang for your buck, that's the best without any regard to your buck.

That said, I'm not sure what actually would provide the best bang for your buck, but I'm willing to bet you don't need to step past 6-7K (and only then thanks to the cryo-tec and the 680's, which are likely excessive but which I would buy anyway if I had the money to spend -- you deserve a little gratuitous spending after all those years of hard work!) to get exactly what you want/need.

Edited by sdelu - 28 Mar 2012 at 2:45pm
AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 2:32pm
I beleive with the cryo-tec you need two wall outlets for that system on different breakers. Alex please correct me if wrong. If you are gonna spend that much make sure you get the best in monitors to go with it like an Dell IPS 30"

Just my thoughts...

If I had that budget I'd probably direct my money towards what I truly need gaming PC wise and make sure my setup was killer. Like a really nice chair and desk and top notch peripherals and monitor. The cryo-tec is very awesome but just know that cooling your CPU to that degree doesn't get you anywhere gaming wise. I'd get the looks in the case i wanted along with the lights and so forth too.

Oh and please don't take that in the wrong fashion. I just have been in this hobby a bit now and just offering some things to think about. For instance the best way to future proof would be to bank a grand of that and keep it handy for when the GPU's take another great leap in tech (like DX12) and for the next good OS.

Edited by AndydViking - 28 Mar 2012 at 2:44pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 3:00pm
Hi Xii, System 1

OK, here is an over extravagant system that will play any game on big or multiple screens. What I would do is get a 30" Dell IPS monitor.   

I included the 3960X 6-Core CPU since this system has the Cryo-tech cooling and will handle the heat it generates. You could save some money and drop to the 3930K and still have the same gaming ability. Heck, for that matter you could drop to the 3820 4-Core and still have plenty of gaming CPU power.

This is a brand new system by DS and I don't know what kind of air cooling they have for the GPUs. We need Alex or someone to explain how the GPU cooling works in this case. I didn't see an option for LC on the GPUs.

I gave you 2 HDs instead of one just because of your budget. Use the 1st one to store you data and other programs you don't use every day. Use the second one for backup. I also increased the size of the SSD. Store the games you play and Win on the SSD. It will speed up your load times a lot.

You also need to increase your Warranty to 5 or 6 years. The 3 year warranty only gives you 1 year on parts. You will have to pay shipping from and to DS after the first 30 days.

Frank

Configuration: 670373 Cost: $9087.

Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Dominator GT with DHX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1500W Silverstone (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 2x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Aventum Cryo-TEC System for CPU and Liquid Cooling for Video Cards + Chipset
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Edited by FrankW - 01 Apr 2012 at 8:16am
Minka View Drop Down

Quote Minka Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 3:29pm
I agree that if you are only gaming, there is no need to get 32gb of ram because you won't see any difference in your gaming than if you had 16. You could put the rest towards an awesome monitor, speakers, etc to make the whole setup amazing. But hey, it's up to you. Any way you do it, we will all envy you forever.. :-P
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 4:57pm

@All - its been so long since I've built a pc myself I really value everything everyone says.

Slight backstory - I've bought like.. 4 alienware PCs I think and something is always.. poor with them.  So, I decided after much research to come to DS, hell, I'm not even a customer yet and I know I'm buying here again.

I didn't know about the different outlets.  This is gonna show my stupidiy but - does different breakers mean special electrical work?  I thought houses only have 1 box for power?

I am know where near smart unless it has something to do with the Military, chasing bad guys or boarding foreign ships at nighttime. :-(

Can't build a computer anymore but I can help you patch a busted steam line while doing 15 knots. ;-)
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 9:35pm
@xii, the Aventum is easily upgradeable. It has a ton of room! Big%20Smile
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 10:05pm
I am very excited to leave the service just so I can sit down and build something awesome with you guys.

I'd like to make something truely unique so I can advertise for you people.

Why do I love this company so much?  Did you put something in my water alex?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 10:08pm
Cool
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 10:11pm
So is the model in question the best gaming base to work from?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 11:41pm
For gaming, you don't really need it unless you're doing a massive setup with three monitors with NVIDIA Surround and 3D. PC Gaming doesn't need a high-end system.

Originally posted by AndydViking

I beleive with the cryo-tec you need two wall outlets for that system on different breakers. Alex please correct me if wrong.

Yes, that is true.

Edited by Alex - 28 Mar 2012 at 11:41pm
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 6:07am
That info about cryo is SUPER good to know - I wouldnt have known that and current do not have a room that supports that.  Time to fix that.

Stupid question - If I build a 3d setup and the 3d bothers me, can I play games in non-3d? >.>
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 6:30am
3D monitors also display in 2D.  So, yes.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 9:35am
Hi xii,

In my opinion the monitors made for 3D do not give you the quality picture that an IPS monitor gives. With multiple monitors you have the problem of separation between the screens and the bezels are in your view. You also have a problem with moving from one screen to the other. Say from the upper left corner to the lower right corner. That is a long way to move the cursor. Three monitors makes it even worse. I am talking about gaming on multiple monitors. I don't have multiple monitors because of the above but some members have them and like them.

As to your power requirements for a Cryo-Tec system. What you will have to do is get an electrician to run a new circuit from your main power distribution panel to the room your computer sits. He will drop it down an interior wall and put in a new plug. I am assuming you have an attic. So you end up with two 15amp circuits. You plug your computer power supply into one outlet. You connest the Cryo-Tec power plug into the new outlet.

The problem as I understand it is the combined power of the computer PS plus the Cryo-Tec exceeds a 15amp circuit.

Question for Alex. What are the total amps needed to run the computer? That is, Cryo-Tec plus the power supply. Will it exceed 20amps?

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 29 Mar 2012 at 9:37am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 9:44am
xii,   System 2

I corrected my system above with the correct LC for the GPUs That pushed the cost up to $9087. A lot of money for what you want. Here is a more reasonable system for gaming. Still using the Aventum case but not the Cryo-Tec cooking.

Frank

Configuration: 670378 Cost: $5593

Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz (Turbo Mode up to 3.8GHz) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX) (EVGA)
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Aventum Liquid Cooling System: CPU + Video Cards + Chipset
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

Edited by FrankW - 01 Apr 2012 at 8:17am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 10:10am
xii,   System 3

Here is a very down to earth system that will play games just as good as the last system but at a much lower price. This is with the Hailstorm case and full LC.

Edit: The dang configurator is not working right now and I had to make changes manually. So I am not sure if everything is correct, especially the cost. But it is close.

Frank

Configuration:   Cost: $4424

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Deluxe X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair (Dual SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520) (SATA 6Gbps)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x WD 1Tb Black Lable(7200 RPM) (16MB Cache)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Video Card: 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX) (EVGA)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards
H20 Tube Color:-
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Enhancements: - No Thanks

Edited by FrankW - 01 Apr 2012 at 8:17am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by FrankW

Question for Alex. What are the total amps needed to run the computer? That is, Cryo-Tec plus the power supply. Will it exceed 20amps?

Actually the Cryo-TEC builds normally pull half of that, around 10 amps, even 8 amps including the PC, etc... We say 20 amps because we want to make sure there is extra just in case a customer has additional items on the circuit such as lighting, speakers, monitors, etc...
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 10:18pm
Look at the wealth of information above and someone please justify to me how you guys are not the greatest company in the world. Sincerely other companies need to bow down on both knees.

Thank you also very much.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 10:24pm
Cool
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 5:42am
If someone lives in a newer house that has 12ga, copper insulated wire the Ampacities is 20amps. The solution could be as simple as changing the breaker from a 15amp to a 20amp. Now if the Cryo-Tec causes ripple or some other distortion on the line this won't avoid that.

Frank
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 5:47am
Hi xii,

Make sure you run your proposed system by us so we can give you some feedback.

Keep in mind that if you go with a Cryo-Tec or true LC system you will have to learn how to maintain the LC system. You might have to drain the system, top it off or even open the loops to replace a defective GPU or add another GPU. This is not hard but is scary to some people. You can aways send it back to DS for this type of work.

Frank
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 11:09am
@Frank

Here you go sir.  A build for consideration.

A few questions.
  1. Is this setup really comparable to something more expensive?  I really wanna put something together thats gonna be awesome for a good while.
  2. How hard to take care of is the liquid cooling systems?
  3. Is there a bottleneck in the system that you can see?

Build number: 670771

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Trim Accents: Paint Chassis Vents and Grills (White)
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX) (EVGA)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards
H20 Tube Color:Black Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect for H20 Tubes)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Digital Storm LaserMark Service - Graphic (Non-Window Metal Side Panel)
Recovery Tools: Advanced Recovery Kit (40GB Hard Drive Partition of Image With OS & Drivers)
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 6 Year Limited Warranty

Do not look at the cost of this build so much, there is some custom stuff I want to see if they can do for me.

Edited by xii - 30 Mar 2012 at 11:11am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 11:52am
Hi xii...until FrankW gets back I 'll give ya a little feedback, even though I am late to this discussuion.

This build is great and to answer your first concern, all you need for strickly gaming.  The X79 platform with 1200W psu does give you the option to add a third gpu down the road if your gaming goes into higher gear. 

The i7-3930k isn't really needed for gaming as was stated before. The 4 core i7-3820 would do it for $300 less but after all this $$$, why not??Big%20Smile

The liquid cooling is a task some would find easy and others a pain in the neck and others just wouldn't do it.  Opening the cooling loop, undoing fittings, draining and topping off fluid if needed is pretty straight forward if done right.   But, if  someone is not up to it, then replacing a faulty gpu means spending a few hundred bucks sending it back for DS to do.  Same with adding  a third gpu into the system. 

I personnally don't think it would be an issue at all, but that's just me.  Knowing the proper precedure and having rags ready for clean-up helps.

One other thing to consider is the Advanced Recovery option.  I'm not sure if that also includes the disc with Win 7.  I don't think so, but I would ask.  The partition on one drive does make restore easy, unless that drive crashes and burns, then you'd want the cd to boot to and re-install. 

The extended warranty is a great way to go. 

Good Luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Mar 2012 at 11:56am
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 12:27pm
I have some questions about design like different paint and whatnot - do you know who I would direct those to?   Id really like to create a showcase machine for DS.  (im obsessed... I know.. Ill get counciling I promise..)

Edited by xii - 30 Mar 2012 at 12:28pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 12:36pm
You'd have to call DS sales I believe.  

We all need councilingLOL
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 12:48pm
You see doc.. it all started when I bought my 3rd broken alienwa.. *twitch*
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 3:14pm
Hi xii,

That is a great gaming rig for someone who is not on a budget. I wouldn't change anything. However, if you want a real bragging system you might want to get the Rampage Mobo. You don't need it and it is expensive but it is top of the line for Asus. It does give you the ability to go 4 GPUs but not with the 1200w PS. Again right now you don't need 4 GPUs. You would need multiple 2550 monitors to need 4GPs.

But, if you really want a showcase machine from DS then go with the Aventum case. It is the latest and greatest. I know they would love to build a super system in that case. You can use the Aventum case and not get the Cryo-Tec system. Just get the Stage 6 LC cooling. No matter if you get the Aventum or the Hailstorm case ask for the xsps rx series radiators with Gentle Typhoon fans. This will give you great rads and very quite fans. They will have to special order the fans. The sales person may try to tell you they don't carry Gentle Typhoon fans any more and that is true. But, DS can special order them for you.

When I mentioned the maintenance on the LC system I didn't mean to infer that it was difficult. I just wanted to make sure you realized their was additional effort required with a full LC system.

So because of all the over the top stuff I mentioned, remember that the system you listed is great for single monitor gaming. I like it.

Before you finalize on your computer you need to settle on your monitor setup. What you decide on might impact your system.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 01 Apr 2012 at 8:12am
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 7:31am
@frank - you have (and others) convinced me through countless threads to go single monitor (however, Im still looking for a really big awesome single monitor >.>) so thats what Ill do.

Regarding the other topic in the thread - lets do that then Frank, lets put together a system like you mentioned so DS can have a blast with it.

I'd love to see what we can do.

Hit me up!
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 9:37am
System 4

Xii, well a single monitor makes it easy. Get the Dell UltraSharp U3011 30" 2560 x 1600 1000:1 Widescreen LCD Monitor. It has an IPS screen with a 16:10 aspect ratio. I have never heard anyone on this forum complain about this monitor. It runs about $1200/1250 most of the time. Keep your eye out for sales. Dell has them on sale quite often.

The next decision is do you want the Cryo-Tec cooling system for the CPU? It gives outlandish temps on the CPU and you won't ever have to worry about the CPU overheating. Stage 6 OC will also keep your CPU cool but not to the degree that the Cryo-Tec does. They both allow extreme gaming.

Dell UltraSharp U3011

Here is a build with Cryo-Tec cost: $8,364

Again, the configurator is not working so I have to make manual changes to the equipment list.

Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel Model 520)
Optical Drive 1: Blue Ray Player, DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
LaserMark: Digital Storm LaserMark Service - Graphic (Non-Window Metal Side Panel)
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 6 Year Limited Warranty

Edited by FrankW - 01 Apr 2012 at 8:18am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 10:05am
System 5

xii, here is a system with stage-6 LC for the CPU and the GPUs. At least I think it is stage 6. The configurator is not clear on what you are getting. My guess at the price is $6,836. I am not sure of the price due to the flaky configurator. I will have to manually make changes to the equipment list.

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel Model 520)
Optical Drive 1: Blue Ray Player (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Aventum Liquid Cooling System: CPU + Video Cards + Chipset
Warranty 6 years/4 years parts

Edited by FrankW - 01 Apr 2012 at 8:19am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>