FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Apollo SLI gtx980ti hybrid layout?

Post Date: 2016-02-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
senister View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote senister Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Apollo SLI gtx980ti hybrid layout?
    Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 3:34pm
Hello everyone, I wanna get 2 GTX980ti hybrids in the Apollo case and im curious where they place the two radiators inside the system since my cpu is also liquid cooled. I assume one gpu in the rear and one in the front while the cpu is on top?

Also, do they switch the fan that cools the radiator with the Corsair LED fans if I choose that option or only for the case stock fans because that would mean only 1 fan in the front(not sure if there's any at the bottom).
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 4:51pm
Hi senister,

I have never seen a Apollo with two hybrid GPUs before. I would put one in the lower front and one in the bottom. You will have to remove one of the HDD caddies to fit one into the bottom. Then move the other caddy up under the 5 1/4 drives. Or you could do one in the bottom and one in the back. The CPU would be at the top as you stated. Sounds like an interesting build. If I was doing a dual hybrid build I would use a case like the corsair 750D or Thermaltake Core V71. You could mount both of the hybrid Rads in the bottom of those cases. Of course you would have to special order a non-standard case for a build.

Frank
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 7:43pm
On Pcpartpicker i saw a build with the 760t case (apollo) with the hybrids, one where the hard drive cages would be and one on the bottom
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
senister View Drop Down

Quote senister Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 7:47pm
Thanks for the reply.

Either way I chose the apollo cause because of its appealing aesthetics and i'm sure DS will find the best option when they build it. I have considered the corsair 750D case as well, would that be the better choice because seems to me the Apollo design is pretty similar to that case and they are both full towers with Apollo having slightly bigger dimensions and graphic card length.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 9:32am
Hi senister,

According to the specs of the Apollo and the 750D the Apollo has one fan/rad mount in the bottom of the case. The 750D has two fan/rad mount in the bottom. Having both Hybrid Rads on the bottom of the case would give you a clean build. That is you don't have cooling tubes running in different directions. That would also be true if you mounted one in the bottom front and the other on the bottom in the Apollo. If you like the Apollo there is no reason not to use it.

Don't let my personal preferences influence your choices. Just given you some options.

Frank    

Edited by FrankW - 07 Feb 2016 at 9:35am
senister View Drop Down

Quote senister Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 9:19pm
Now that I think about it, im also concerned about whether or not the case will get enough cool air in/hot air out since the cpu and gpu liquid cooler occupies 3 spots.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 4:28am
Hi senister,

You don't have to be concerned. DS knows what they are doing. They will tell you if there is a problem or what is the best way to arrange your Rads.

Frank
giants84 View Drop Down

Quote giants84 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 7:16am
Anyone have a 980 ti hybrid, it's an amazing card but I keep hearing the noise is really annoying from the cooler. Not sure a constant buzzing noise is worth the performance lol.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 7:48am
Here's an article to check out the Hybrid.....

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/70502-evga-gtx-980-ti-hybrid-review-3.html

The acoustics are better than most other 980ti's.  

I personally, and others will disagree, don't see the need to get the Hybrid and take on the added risk of more things to go wrong.  It is a sweet card, but it doesn't seem to overclock or perform even as good as some of EVGA's own cards or the Asus Strix.   It does allow the case heat to be better managed with the rad mounted to blow out, but with a decent air cooled case, it shouldn't matter much.

Just me. Big%20Smile
giants84 View Drop Down

Quote giants84 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 7:53am
All of the reviews are good for the hybrid, the card stays cool with a lot of load. Also if you look at youtube videos, they OC it easily with no issues and it stays really cool. Also if you go with the corsair fan upgrades instead, it's such a small price difference already, thinking it's better to just go with the hybrid?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 8:43am
Yep, the cooling is excellent on that card, but the air cooled cards are also fine in the cooling department.   If the cards stay below a certain threshold, then it doesn't matter, a few degrees here and there.   If the card is pushed then that might make the difference but for most, real world doesn't matter. 

Not talking anybody out of the Hybrid, there isn't anything to complain about, other than more to go wrong.  I'm a product of decades of field service.   The old KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid, is sometimes the best policy.  Hahaha

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 1:54pm
this is basically just a reference card with a closed loop cooler slapped on it.  it's kind of pointless, imo, because w/o core binning/custom pcb/custom bios you can't push this card's performance beyond Nvidia's restrictions.  it will throttle just as if you bought a regular reference card. 

since you can't really get more performance out of it, where better cooling is needed, you're basically paying more for a card that is adequately cooled on air in its "stock" config from the factory.

if you want a "custom" card that operates on/can be pushed to the edge, one that requires and can benefit from water cooling, look elsewhere (EVGA Kingpin, ASUS Strix, etc.).   
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
giants84 View Drop Down

Quote giants84 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 2:03pm
Ye but digital storm can oc the card for you.
senister View Drop Down

Quote senister Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by db188

this is basically just a reference card with a closed loop cooler slapped on it.  it's kind of pointless, imo, because w/o core binning/custom pcb/custom bios you can't push this card's performance beyond Nvidia's restrictions.  it will throttle just as if you bought a regular reference card.  since you can't really get more performance out of it, where better cooling is needed, you're basically paying more for a card that is adequately cooled on air in its "stock" config from the factory.if you want a "custom" card that operates on/can be pushed to the edge, one that requires and can benefit from water cooling, look elsewhere (EVGA Kingpin, ASUS Strix, etc.).   

Thanks for the help everyone! Keep in mind that I am willing to pay some extra couple bucks for aesthetics purposes. As for the performance I chose the option for them to OC and even if its just a reference card as the base, i'm fine the performance it has already With SLI, its already overkill.
 Post Reply Post Reply