FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME Doesn't fit in ODE case?

Post Date: 2013-07-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
txfeinbergs View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME Doesn't fit in ODE case?
    Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 3:55pm
Okay, I am being told that the Asus Maximum VI Extreme doesn't fit in the ODE case despite it being one of the choices on the website for that system and it is exactly the same size as the Sabertooth. 12 x 9.6 inches which I am being told I need to choose. Anyone else get that response as well?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 4:27pm
First I heard of it, but DS is the builder.    Do you have the Corsair H100 i cooler?.   Reason I ask is that the cooler is a tight fit above the mobo in the ODE 600t case.   

The mobo, although the same specs, might mount a little different because of hole pattern.   Just guessing on my part.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by txfeinbergs

Okay, I am being told that the Asus Maximum VI Extreme doesn't fit in the ODE case despite it being one of the choices on the website for that system and it is exactly the same size as the Sabertooth. 12 x 9.6 inches which I am being told I need to choose. Anyone else get that response as well?

I know the Maximus V Extreme was larger then the standard ATX size, but the Maximus VI Extreme is shown at 12" x 9.6", which is standard ATX size. I think the person you talked to might have been confused.

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 7:50pm
Yep, I asked them to double check it and pointed out both were the same size. He got back to me and apologized indicating he was thinking of a different board. Anyway, Stage 1 has now processed. Whew.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 9:07pm
From what I recall, it does not due to it's size. I could be wrong, I would say hang tight until our team begins to build your order to see if we can make it fit.

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 3:04pm
That would be unfortunate if it doesn't because you only offer one other motherboard that has 2 PCI-E 3.0 x16 slots, and that is the Sabertooth. The problem with the Sabertooth is that it has a fan on the motherboard. I don't do fans on motherboards as they are unreliable and noisy from personal past experience.

If you offered the next lower ROG motherboard down, that would work.

It is probably the weird expansion card on the Maximus VI Extreme that causes it not to fit.

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 3:16pm
Alex, actually, this was user error. I thought the ODE only came with one case option so I never even bothered to click on the expand. There are a ton of cases to choose from. Any chance I can switch to the Cooler Master Storm Stryker [+$25]. I sent an email to John who processed my order as well. The extra $25 is fine as that case is awesome. Thanks.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 4:44pm
I'll send a message to the team. There might be a small re-build fee as your order is now in Stage 3 and the team has been working on it.
Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Alex

I'll send a message to the team. There might be a small re-build fee as your order is now in Stage 3 and the team has been working on it.

Alex, any update on whether the Asus Maximum VI Extreme will fit in the ODE case? I'm trying to put together my final build, and hope to place my order early next week.

If the Maximum VI Extreme will not fit in the ODE (Corsair Graphite 600TW) case, is there another Z87 motherboard that has WiFi, that you would recommend?

Will the ASUS Z87-Deluxe fit ok? If so, what would it add to the cost of my current build (# 850501)?
~ Arwen ~
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 2:32pm
@Arwen,

From my understanding the Maximus VI might not fit. I recommend calling our sales team and asking them to check for you. This way we can be 100% sure when you place your order.
Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 4:14pm
Thanks Alex,

I called sales and was told that the Maximus VI would probably be too large for the ODE case, and that it was mainly recommended for more extreme overclocked systems.

I asked about the ASUS Z87-Deluxe, and was told that would be a better upgrade for me (I picked it because it has WiFi, and better audio than the Sabertooth, and I also don't like the Sabertooth's "Thermal Armor" and fans).

Now I'm just waiting for an estimate on cost of upgrading to the ASUS Z87-Deluxe motherboard.
~ Arwen ~
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Alex

@Arwen,

From my understanding the Maximus VI might not fit. I recommend calling our sales team and asking them to check for you. This way we can be 100% sure when you place your order.

It is a standard ATX form factor. So is it that stuff sticks too far out from the motherboard? Is it the mini-PCIe card? That looks like it extends further up from the board then the normal rear panel stuff. Other then that the heatsink on the CPU power caps looks fairly tall as well. I am just curious why a standard ATX footprint motherboard would fit in an case that is supposed to support an ATX motherboard.

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 9:09am
My guess was the funky mini-PCI card. If you really want that motherboard, just don't make the same mistake I did and assume that the ODE case is the only one that an ODE system can come with. There are 10+ cases to choose from. Once I found that out, they switched cases for me and all was good (just don't let them try and charge you a "rebuild fee" for a mistake which isn't yours).

Also, I agree with you Arwen about any fans on motherboards. I owned an AMD system many years ago which came with a fan that whined constantly. I had to replace it several times over a two year period. No thanks.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 10:34am
Originally posted by txfeinbergs

My guess was the funky mini-PCI card. If you really want that motherboard, just don't make the same mistake I did and assume that the ODE case is the only one that an ODE system can come with. There are 10+ cases to choose from. Once I found that out, they switched cases for me and all was good (just don't let them try and charge you a "rebuild fee" for a mistake which isn't yours).

Also, I agree with you Arwen about any fans on motherboards. I owned an AMD system many years ago which came with a fan that whined constantly. I had to replace it several times over a two year period. No thanks.

Seems the most likely to me. Arwen chose the case because she liked the aesthetics of it. So I don't think she is open to the other case options. The "Ode" case it actually the Corsair Graphite 600T, it looks like. My guess is that the mini-PCI card hits the exhaust fan.
Arwen View Drop Down

Quote Arwen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 1:56pm
I'm keeping the ODE case, and upgrading to the ASUS Z87-Deluxe motherboard, which is also has WiFi and is less expensive than the Maximus. and has a bit better on-board audio.
~ Arwen ~
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 4:19pm
It's the mini-PCI and I recall some part of the coolers on the board.

@Arwen, you're welcome!

Edited by Alex - 27 Jul 2013 at 4:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply