FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ASUS P8Z77-M PRO vs. SABERTOOTH Z77

Post Date: 2013-04-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kaotik View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kaotik Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: ASUS P8Z77-M PRO vs. SABERTOOTH Z77
    Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 8:26pm
Budget:
~$2000

Expectation:
Run MMO games like World of WarCraft and World of Tanks, StarCraft II, and newer FPS shooters at max settings without needing to upgrade in 2 months. Also would prefer a mid-tower to a full. I already own a self-built 40lb monstrosity. :-/

Usage:
Mainly gaming, occasional digital art (not 3D rendering though), and eventually want a 3D monitor for enhanced gaming.

Specifications:
Looking at a Slade to avoid the Dreadnought's Full Tower. Main question, what is the difference between the ASUS P8Z77-M PRO and the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77. I won't go above 2xSLI anyway, so don't need a powerhouse mobo. Either of them work fine for a gaming PC with eventual 2xSLI on most games? I won't be going for extreme overclocking.
Solidus1833 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Solidus1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 10:23pm
so my bro has the z77 pro and i have the sabertooth. If i did it again i would go with the pro board. It has more options on it. With automatic overclocking for your cpu and the built in Wifi. The sabertooth has AMAZING cooling capabilities. Also because of where some of the capasitors are it blocks the bottom pci slot from taking my Creative Z sound card. So i had to put it inbetween my two 680 classified gpu's. No biggy cus it fits like a glove. Also that thermal armor takes away some space. not too bad tho. But if you are going to use a sound card i would go with the pro board so you dont run into that little issue i had. Also the pro board is a 3 year warantee while the sabertooth is 5. They are both great, lol you just need to figure out what you want from your mobo.

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Solidus1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 10:25pm
also if i were you i with that budget i would look into getting 2x gtx 670 4gb cards. they are BEASTLY for that price.
Kaotik View Drop Down

Quote Kaotik Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 11:39pm
Thank you for the response. But honestly, there's no way I can get the dual 670s and remain at $2000. I'm pushing it if I got for dual 660 Tis. I'll probably get one 670 NOW, then get a second one later when I finally can afford to.

Looks like ASUS Pro it is though, since I won't be overclocking to the extreme, I won't need the amazing cooling. :)

Edited by Kaotik - 26 Apr 2013 at 11:40pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 3:33am
Just to add, I think the V Pro and M Pro mobo are being confused.   The V Pro is a full size board with WiFi and nice oc'ing.   The M Pro mobo is a micro size board, M is micro, and has less pcie slots because it is smaller.    The M Pro is a real nice mobo but if you ever sli, then all the pci slots are blocked, meaning no audio card, etc.    Either mobo will get the jod done, but it does have limitations if sli and added cards are wanted.

Kaotik View Drop Down

Quote Kaotik Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 9:53am
Ah, yeah I do plan to SLI eventually, and definitely want a sound card. :-/ So, bprat, what mobo would you suggest for the best bang for as cheap as possible? The SABERTOOTH?

While I'm at it, what kind of cooling solution is as quiet as I can get it? So far looking at:

Corsair Carbide 500R
i5 (not planning on extreme overclocking anything, btw)
16GB RAM
180GB SSD drive (I already have two fairly new 500GB HDDS to add)
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti (I want to SLI at a later date, but can't afford
                            to right now)

I want it NOT to sound like a personal jet when playing games. As an aside, why is the GTX 480 1.5GB considered better than the GTX 660 Ti 2GB and is more expensive?!

Edited by Kaotik - 27 Apr 2013 at 10:01am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 10:00am
The Sabertooth or the Deluxe are both real nice boards.   The Deluxe has built in WiFi and the Sabertooth has a longer warranty.   I'd go Sabertooth, but your call of course.

The Noctua d14 will cool great and do it quietly.  It's huge but the best. 

Edited by bprat22 - 27 Apr 2013 at 10:03am
Kaotik View Drop Down

Quote Kaotik Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 10:02am
So the Sabertooth can run dual-SLI without blocking a sound card at some point? :D
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 10:08am
Not sure about the bottom Pcie x16 slot after what was said, but there are 2 other Pcie 2.0 x1 slots above card #1  and in between the sli setup, above card #2 to hold a sound card.  

Shouldn't be an issue. 

gtx 480 vs 660Ti....  The 480 does have a much wider memory bandwidth and many more rendering units to render images, but after that the 660Ti wins out.  The 660Ti is quieter, uses alot less power, and will perform better in most games, from what I have seen in benches.  There might be some instances the 480 wins out but why get an older card with less support, more money, etc?  660Ti is a nice card. 

Edited by bprat22 - 27 Apr 2013 at 10:22am
Kaotik View Drop Down

Quote Kaotik Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 10:49am
Awesome! You are ever the helpful one on here :D
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Solidus1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 10:55am
Yes it will fit. The small pic slot between ur sli set up. The top small one would work too if you don't have a noctua. My noctua blocks the top port. And the very bottom is blocked by capacitors. So the only place with sli is inbetween the cards. I have 2x 680 classifieds and a creative z sound card set up that way. And they fit with plenty clearance.
 Post Reply Post Reply