FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ASUS P9X79 Deluxe vs. ASUS Rampage 4 Extreme MOBO?

Post Date: 2011-12-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kane860 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: ASUS P9X79 Deluxe vs. ASUS Rampage 4 Extreme MOBO?
    Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 10:54pm
ASUS P9X79 Deluxe vs. ASUS Rampage 4 Extreme... they are only about $50 difference in price which is nothing, considering I am buying a $3000 rig.  Are there ANY differences between these mother boards?  DST4ME, I am sure you will be chiming in here and I know you would say there is no difference.  But seriously, everyone seems to say the rampage is the best.  For $50 more, I have no problem buying the rampage over the deluxe IF IT IS better.  If there is even one good feature that the rampage has over the deluxe, I would probably get it.  So what do you guys think?  No negative nancy's please, lets just discuss the facts  Hahaha
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 11:06pm
LOL you make it sound like I say what I say because I have something against extreme, Of course I don't, actually if you look hard enough you will see me recommend it once in a great while when its actually needed.

Whether the boards have different features is really not the issue, the issue is which ones are gonna be any use to you.

if you are looking for a real good board, look at the x79 classified from evga.

what kind of a setup are you going with? dual sli or tri sli? any other pci cards?

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Dec 2011 at 11:07pm
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 10:09am
Well I'm actually planning on doing a single GPU, so I suppose the deluxe board would be sufficient for me but I will plan on adding some upgrades later so I want to have the options of doing so.  But as I said, even though I probably dont "need" the rampage extreme board, I have no problem paying $50 more if it is an overall "better" board that offers more options over the deluxe.  Im planning on running the 3930k and probably a GTX570, although up until now I was planning on the GTX580 but I have seen a lot of people say there isnt a big difference between the two GPU's.  The difference in price is around $100-150 and once again, if the GTX580 offers a big improvement over the 570 I have no problem paying $150 more.  The computer will be used for a combination of extreme multitasking, photo editing, music editing, and the only game I really play is FSX. 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 10:51am
For your use the extreme offers nothing extra over deluxe, as a matter of fact the deluxe is even more then you need.

the boards are all pretty much the same, tho from some angles one board is better then the other, for example if you benchmark then you redline your oc or a a hair away from it, now you want the extreme, or you are going tri sli and need to use 2 other pci cards, now you need extreme, but in your situation, I can come and change your extreme to deluxe and you would never know, cause you have no use for other features, the main ones you get in deluxe already, both boards give you proper tri sli, can oc easy till stage 3, hvae pci lanes available for upgrades, have plenty of sata ports for upgrades, so for your use one does not really offer anything better over the other.

Where it counts the difference between 580 and 570 is like 2 to 6 fps, so its not a difference one would notice, but there are new gpus coming out and since fsx does not utilize sli correctly you may want to wait and get one of the newer cards for more noticeable power hopefully.

now lets talk facts, I think you gonna find this part very interesting:

bluetooth:

deluxe:

extreme:

wireless:

deluxe:

extreme:

N/A

Lan:

deluxe:

extreme:

Audio:

deluxe:

extreme:

I can do this all day.

Edited by DST4ME - 13 Dec 2011 at 11:04am
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 10:59am
Thanks for the feedback, I hear the new GPU's are coming out in February.. doubt I will be waiting till then.  I guess another option right now would be to purchase the absolutely cheapest video card on DS such as a GT520 or something and then buy one of the newer video cards to replace it with.  Or I could just stick to the 570 now and then just upgrade to a new one, if the 570 is not workign well with my current situation, however, I think the 570 would be sufficient.  Then you got the two different 570's.. one has 1.2gb and one has 2.5gb.. the 2.5gb is only $50 more.. so you think $50 is worth to have double the memory?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 11:06am
I edited my post above go back and look at it. See how many more features the deluxe has, its one of many reason why I recommend it a lot now you even got wireless.

go with the 2.5GB if you like tho its for higher res.

I think the new gpus are coming out around mid jan.

Edited by DST4ME - 13 Dec 2011 at 11:07am
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 11:09am
LOL  you sure you didnt just "leave out" some of the stuff from the Extreme?  lol  so from what you wrote, it looks like the Deluxe has "more" features hmm? Also I was just doing a search to find any updates regarding when the new GPU's may be coming out and the rumors are all over the place.. Im seeing Q2 of 2012
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 11:16am
rumors are rumors and thats all they are and they spread fast ands move quick like a tsunami.

let me have a look around and see what I come up with.

also those are copy and paste from asus site I didn't leave anything out what you see is what is posted there:

Deluxe:

Extereme:

Now you may find that extreme has couple of extra ui features for the oc, but to people like yourself that means nohting, zip, zilch, nada, hichi, Nought, cipher, duck, nil.
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 11:25am
What does it mean when it says USB ports have 4 at back panel and 8 at midboard?  I am in dior need of a ton of USB ports, I want to have all 8 on back panel that I can access... not sure what "midboard" ... are these 8 ports only accessible from inside the computer?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 11:38am
If I'm not mistaken, extreme has 4 usb 3.0 in the back, deluxe has 6 usb 3.0 in the back, total looks like extreme has 12 usb ports in the back and deluxe has total of 10 in the back, the rest are headers I believe to be used for connecting from ports and etc.
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 11:44am
Extreme has 2 additional USB ports on back... and a PS/2 port... +1 for the Extreme lolStrong
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 11:47am
LOL I would have to disagree, I can add load of usb ports to any mobo if I want to but to have bluetooth 3.0 and wireless and better sound easily over powers the 2 extra usb 2.0.

however if you want to look at it that way then actually deluxe has 6 usb 3.0 ports and extreme has 4 so +1 for deluxe and not extreme, welcome to 2012 extreme we use usb 3.0 now

I don't know anybody or keyboard/mouse now indays that uses PS/2 port, I'll take the faster usb 3.0 connection please.

Also don't forget, wireless +1 for deluxe, bt 3.0 +1 for deluxe, better sound +1 for deluxe, extra lan +1 for deluxe.

so thats +5 for deluxe so far.

Edited by DST4ME - 13 Dec 2011 at 11:53am
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 11:58am
hahahaha I know I was just kidding about the USB since I was planning on buying the additional 3.0 USB card that adds 4 more ports anyhow Cool.. also I heard that the PS/2 port comes in handy when dealing with the BIOS or some crap Whoa.. something like that, I dont remember.. also what would I use the second extran LAN for?  What type of situation would that come in handy? just curious
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 5:11pm
I have not used ps/2 for ever now and I go in the bios all the time, you got a bad source for info.

extra lan can come in handy if you have 2 different isp in your place like me, lol, but really if one lan port ever goes out, you got a second one, another reason is if you want to network bunch of stuff via lan.
Zod - Fedora View Drop Down

Quote Zod - Fedora Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 5:55pm
I love u guys this post rocks
unin5pired View Drop Down

Quote unin5pired Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Zod - Fedora

I love u guys this post rocks

Ditto.

I know this is an old post, but I found it, looking for exactly the type of discussion that DST4ME and Kane had above, so I thought I'd chime in anyhow.

One other reason to lean towards Deluxe (though not a feature per se) is that while the Rampage is EATX, the Deluxe is ATX. That'll give you a bit more flexibility in your choice of case. Personally, it's saving me $100: I'm going Corsair 650D instead of 800D.

Thanks for the informative discussion, guys. Too often forum posts like this are simply met with proud builders rattling off their favorite parts rather than justifying their preferences.
 Post Reply Post Reply